Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-20-2021, 11:32 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I strongly suspect it will have USB-C since if you assume a 10 year useful life from now for the last of the PW5s, that'll take you to 2031. What are the odds it'll be pretty hard to find a MicroUSB cable in 2031 like it is now for MiniUSB? I'm guessing pretty good.
I just went to Amazon and did a search for mini USB cables. It's not hard at all to find them. In fact, it's very very easy. Mini USB will be the same.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:35 AM   #17
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, 10th gen Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Don't forget the larger screen costs more.
Except they both appear to have the same screen according to the leaks
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:35 AM   #18
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10, Fire HD 10 +,iPhone SE 2020, IPad Mini 5, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't like the weight of tablets, but I can see an advantage if you need the larger type.
It did take time to get use to the extra weight. But I normally have it setting on my lap now that I have almost the largest text size set. It
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:37 AM   #19
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I just went to Amazon and did a search for mini USB cables. It's not hard at all to find them. In fact, it's very very easy. Mini USB will be the same.
I meant, try finding one in a bricks and mortar retailer, I can walk into a gas station and buy a Lightning, MicroUSB, or USB-C cable. Strangely absent is MiniUSB.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:59 PM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Quote:
I meant, try finding one in a bricks and mortar retailer, I can walk into a gas station and buy a Lightning, MicroUSB, or USB-C cable. Strangely absent is MiniUSB.
Yes.
Also now gas mantles, lamp wicks, floppy disks (especially 8" & 5.25" and 3").
Oddly Argos has regular blank Compact Cassette tapes.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:28 PM   #21
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KT1, KPW3, KOA3, KFHD7 ('12 & '13), KF7 (2019)
More info here, especially in the later pages
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=341472
Edit: so you know, their justification for keeping the Oasis around likely seems to be physical page turn buttons and them making cellular data standard (latter I am unsure about), combined with the superior build quality

Last edited by Badcatalex; 09-20-2021 at 01:30 PM.
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 02:00 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Except they both appear to have the same screen according to the leaks
No they don't have the same screen. The PW4 has a 6" screen and the PW Premium has a 6.8" screen.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-21-2021 at 03:46 AM.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:15 PM   #23
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No they don't have the same screen. The PW4hasa 6" screen and the PW Premium has a 6.8" screen.
Except the 60CAD premium is between the 6.8" PW5 and 6.8" PW5 signature edition. And it's really more like $45 after exchange rate.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:12 PM   #24
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
Amazon will be holding a hardware event at noon Eastern time on September 28.

Perhaps the new Paperwhites will be announced then.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:19 PM   #25
ky˘dai
Connoisseur
ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcatalex View Post
Edit: so you know, their justification for keeping the Oasis around likely seems to be physical page turn buttons and them making cellular data standard (latter I am unsure about), combined with the superior build quality
I think the Oasis days are numbered though.

There are not many arguments left for it, now that the PW5 got almost all of its features. And Amazon had abandoned the Oasis concept a long time ago anyway.

I think they made this step to free up room for a bigger device (7,8" or more) in the $200+ segment. The Oasis will probably stay around until then.
ky˘dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:42 PM   #26
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8'', Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky˘dai View Post
And Amazon had abandoned the Oasis concept a long time ago anyway.
What do you mean by "the Oasis concept"? The irregular shape has been around for 5,5 years and Kobo, for example, has copied it for their premium readers. If you mean the charging cover, that was abandoned after the Oasis 1. But not the shape.

I certainly hope the wedge shape stays along with physical buttons. Don't like the regularly shaped ereaders. They were never ergonomic enough for me.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:45 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
What do you mean by "the Oasis concept"? The irregular shape has been around for 5,5 years and Kobo, for example, has copied it for their premium readers. If you mean the charging cover, that was abandoned after the Oasis 1. But not the shape.

I certainly hope the wedge shape stays along with physical buttons. Don't like the regularly shaped ereaders. They were never ergonomic enough for me.
Personally, I like the shape of the new PW given that it's a copy of the Kobo Aura H2O.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:52 PM   #28
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GlowLight 3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage
Quote:
Don't forget the larger screen costs more.
According to the leaked comparison chart, both the Paperwhite 5 and the Signature Paperwhite will have 6.8" screens, but the the Signature one will also have 32 GB of RAM (instead of 8 GB) and will also have an auto light sensor, plus the wireless charging. There is currently a $30 premium for 32 GB vs 8 GB of memory in the Paperwhite line. It looks to me like they're trying to fill the old Voyage price slot with the Paperwhite Signature version.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:16 PM   #29
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad mini
Given the purported release of two new 6.8” Paperwhites, my expectations for a Kindle with a color display in the next year have dropped to near zero (they were low already). However, we might still hope these include the improved-contrast B&W panel that eInk announced earlier this year.

Likewise, I think we may never see a new Oasis. It is the latest high-priced Kindle to die of insufficiently robust sales, following the venerable Voyage and DXG before that.

Also it looks like there is no cellular or storage option for these new Paperwhites, so there will be fewer configurations produced than the PW4 had.

I’m guessing there may still be color options (it involves only last stage of assembly, so it should be relatively easy to provide these).

Hopefully there is also some sort of performance improvement along with this. I often find myself waiting several seconds for the UI to respond to a very common action, like selecting an item in library.

Next year, we should at least see a new basic Kindle, with at least an improved display and performance bump.

In any case, I will probably get the Signature.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:36 PM   #30
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8'', Kobo Libra H2O
I don't see Amazon abandoning a Kindle with physical buttons. They've always had one, since the very beginning. But if they really do, then I'm going to abandon them. I'm not interested in buttonless Paperwhites.

As for color, not interested in that either.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote