Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-14-2021, 08:05 PM   #1
FroyourFilms
FroyourFilms began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo N289
Question Kobo n289 Image

Randomly when shutting down, my Kobo decided to do a software update.
When it finished, there were no books, not even the ones that were preinstalled.
I did some googling, and to fix it I need an image file to fix it.

I have the books on my PC and remember my page, so I can plop those back in when I fix the device.

Thanks to whoever reads this, I hope I am abiding by the rules.
-FroyourFilms
FroyourFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 04:53 AM   #2
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Kobo n289 Image

Have you tried logging out of your Kobo (More>Settings>Accounts>Kobo), then logging back in? Or repairing your account? (More>Settings>Device Information>Repair your Kobo account (It’s on Page 2))? If there was a nasty glitch when upgrading, either of these solutions could fix your installation. It won’t restore side-loaded books, but it will restore those that you’ve purchased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Cootey; 03-15-2021 at 04:56 AM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:46 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FroyourFilms View Post

Randomly when shutting down, my Kobo decided to do a software update.

That's a bit surprising as the last firmware release for WiFi was at least five years ago. And the WiFi on the WiFi probably cannot connect to Kobo now, so where did it come from?
Quote:
When it finished, there were no books, not even the ones that were preinstalled.
I did some googling, and to fix it I need an image file to fix it.

I have the books on my PC and remember my page, so I can plop those back in when I fix the device.
That part sounds the unfortunate problem that did hit the last firmware version. I have sent you a PM with the link to the image.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 04:24 PM   #4
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That's a bit surprising as the last firmware release for WiFi was at least five years ago. And the WiFi on the WiFi probably cannot connect to Kobo now, so where did it come from?

That part sounds the unfortunate problem that did hit the last firmware version. I have sent you a PM with the link to the image.

This fatal release must have happened during one of the times I was away from this board. I’m glad you were able to help him.

Please tell me briefly about this Wi-Fi issue. I’ve been noticing mentions of it in different threads. I have an old Kobo Touch I’m trying to restore. In what way won’t it be able to connect to Kobo? The store, or worse, during the account setup? Are there workarounds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-15-2021, 10:52 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
This fatal release must have happened during one of the times I was away from this board. I’m glad you were able to help him.
If you want the history, there is a long thread about it. The first couple of pages discussed the symptoms and what was tried to fix it. The rest is lots of requests for images.
Quote:
Please tell me briefly about this Wi-Fi issue. I’ve been noticing mentions of it in different threads. I have an old Kobo Touch I’m trying to restore. In what way won’t it be able to connect to Kobo? The store, or worse, during the account setup? Are there workarounds?
About two years ago Kobo dropped all support for the WiFi and older ereader, the different tablets and most of the support for the Mini. Part of the reason appears to have been the need to update their servers. They needed to remove older security protocols as they were no longer considered to be secure. This means that any of the devices whose firmware was using those protocols would no longer be able to connect to the Kobo servers. For the WiFi, the last firmware didn't support it at all. For the devices starting with the Touch, there had been firmware updates to use the newer protocols. But, a factory reset would put these devices back to firmware that would not work. And that means that after doing a factory reset, these devices cannot be setup over WiFi until the firmware is update. Which is a bit of a Catch-22 situation as the first thing these devices do is update the firmware.

I believe that the Aura H2O is the oldest device whose factory reset can still connect to the Kobo servers to do the setup. That has firmware version 3.7. The change happened before then. Doing it as part of 3.0 would be a reasonable guess with the amount of changes that would have been needed.

Because of all this, the devices from the Touch to the Aura will need to be connected to a computer at some point to do setup after a factory reset. Either you use the Kobo desktop application, or you manually put newer firmware on the device.

Last edited by davidfor; 03-15-2021 at 11:02 PM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 05:20 AM   #6
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Because of all this, the devices from the Touch to the Aura will need to be connected to a computer at some point to do setup after a factory reset. Either you use the Kobo desktop application, or you manually put newer firmware on the device.
Excellent. Thank you! I wonder how I missed this turn of events, but then I go through long spells of not visiting. Thanks for getting me up to speed.

Tags
image, kobo, n289