Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
Vertigo
Enthusiast
Vertigo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O edition 2
Storage locations for ADE and Kindle for PC

I'm new here and I couldn't find any posts asking this.

I currently read all my eBooks on my Windows Laptop. I have Calibre, Adobe DE and Kindle for PC. My question is about the latter two. Both of these store books in My Documents which I hate. I always partition my system so I have C: and D: drives. I have the operating system on the C and all my data on the D. This makes restoring a broken OS without damaging data easy and backing up and recovering data easy. However I can see no way to change the storage locations of either of these programs. Possibly it cannot be done and is hardwired or maybe it is a setting in the registry.

Can anyone help me?
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
shall1028
Nameless Being

It has been a while since I used a Windows box...

In my Windows XP days I seem to recall one of the Microsoft Power Toys had the ability to move the My Documents (as well as pictures and videos and a few others) folder to a different drive.

Might this still be an option for Windows Vista or Windows 7? That way ADE would stick its files where it wants and you get them saved where you want.
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
Vertigo
Enthusiast

Interesting, but not sure I want to do quite such a global fiddle with the My Documents location. And what's with the way Kindle for PC stores the book files with wild encrypted names - are they deliberately trying to stop us accessing them in any other way?
Old 09-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
The K4PC/Mac filenames actually have a certain logic to them. But using the ASIN product number doesn't exactly make it easier for people to tell which book's which (which could be the point).

As for the locations, I think it's probably a registry setting. On the Mac, they both keep a pointer to the locations in the .plist files in ~/Library/Preferences.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
Vertigo
Enthusiast

Yeah I figured the book name was encoded along those lines - but it is still a pain! I guess I'll have to take a look in the registry - I'm sure it should be easy enough to find if I do a search for the actual path where they are!

However I may stick to what I'm doing at the moment which is buy the book, strip the DRM and them copy into my Calibre database which is actually on an external drive.

Ho hum, why do they have to make life so difficult for us!
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I relocated my Documents on my computer. It may be that a link (shortcut) will be enough with minor tweaks needed to the registry. I went all out and relocated the entire home location for my account. This was a much larger task requiring a lot of registry editing and in some cases reinstalling applications.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:00 AM   #7
Vertigo
Enthusiast

Yeah I don't really want to go down that route as you only have to repeat it when you get a new computer. For the most part I simply store my data on my D: drive; simple as that. However one or two applications are a bit of a pain but can generally be reconfigured to a different default location. Exceptions are things like Outlook Express (emails are ok but the address book requires a registry tweak) and now it seems both ADE and K4PC which is a bit of a pain. As I am actually storing copies using Calibre and they are well removed from the C: drive it is not terminal. The real pain is that I set up my system drive ( C: ) so it has adequate spare swap space but not a lot more so anything that starts chewing up its spare storage is a pain.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
knyc
knyc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
TweakUI (available for free on the Microsoft site) will "move" My Documents anywhere you want it with all the reg hacks done for you. You don't have to undo your system as you've set it up, it will just add the My Documents folder to D: and you can store anything you want there (maybe just ADE and K4PC)
knyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:37 PM   #9
Vertigo
Enthusiast

Thanks for that kync I've not come across that before but it certainly sounds simple enough and I can always take a ghost image before trying it. As I say I generally tried to ignore it the past as I don't like the way it is organised as well as the location thing. However some things such as the programs get in there anyway. It would certainly make my backups simpler.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
woodneye
woodneye began at the beginning.

Device: kindle/literati
Just drag the file/folder anywhere you wish by holding a left click.
woodneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #11
oddly bodkins
Enthusiast
oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aztak Pocket Pro, Palm Zire 72, IPad 2
You can change the default location in kindle for PC. You have to exit from any book you are reading. From the main screen press tools->options->content. You should see the default folder location on the right with a button to change it to a new location. I hope that helps.

EDIT: Sorry. I didn't realize this thread was so old.

Last edited by oddly bodkins; 06-19-2011 at 09:46 PM. Reason: wayyyy old!
oddly bodkins is offline   Reply With Quote