Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-13-2010, 06:10 AM   #1
Kameli
Connoisseur
Kameli began at the beginning.

Device: none
Pocketbook 360 slow opening books?

I was watching some youtube videos and have couple of questions.

1. In this German video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFTkL...eature=related it seems to take 90 seconds to open a book. I don't understand German so I wonder if that happens always or in some situation or what?

2. Another thing I noticed that in videos page blinks to reverse colors (White text, black paper) when you change page. Is it possible to disable that?
Kameli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:34 AM   #2
Kameli
Connoisseur
Kameli began at the beginning.

Device: none
While watching videos I found this one made by PocketBookReaderUSA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brM7l...eature=related

If it is really made by company it is horrible. Picture is speeded up so that page turning etc. seem faster while speech is of course normal speed. When i realized it was speeded up it really left bad taste to me and makes me wonder if I can trust the company if they manufacture videos that lie about their device's speed.

I strongly suggest replacing that video with normal speed one.
Kameli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 07:06 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameli View Post
I
1. In this German video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFTkL...eature=related it seems to take 90 seconds to open a book. I don't understand German so I wonder if that happens always or in some situation or what?
It depends on the book.
On ordinary simple text file, or doc file or html, or epub opens under 10 seconds.
If you try to open 150MB pdf file with LOTS of vector graphics, fonts, complicated formatting, then it can take several minutes to open the file and many seconds to turn the page.

Quote:
2. Another thing I noticed that in videos page blinks to reverse colors (White text, black paper) when you change page. Is it possible to disable that?
All e-ink readers blink.
The vast majority of people stops noticing well before they finish their first book.
With PocketBook it is possible to disable the flash, but then there are traces of previous content on the page (called ghosting) and after some 20 pageturns there is flash anyway to "clear up" the page.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:09 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
While watching videos I found this one made by PocketBookReaderUSA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brM7l...eature=related

If it is really made by company it is horrible. Picture is speeded up so that page turning etc. seem faster while speech is of course normal speed. When i realized it was speeded up it really left bad taste to me and makes me wonder if I can trust the company if they manufacture videos that lie about their device's speed.

I strongly suggest replacing that video with normal speed one.
I think that the video is sped up to demonstrate lots of format in as short time as possible.
PocketBook has the best support for non latin characters among all e-ink readers. No other reader can display right to left languages outside of pdf file.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:26 AM   #5
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Mobipocket books take an extremely long time to open on the Pocketbook 360. I also remember waiting a while for large txt files. Epubs are not so bad in my experience, but I didn't have a lot of them when I tried the 360.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Book launch time is dependent on the book, as pointed out.

For really long books, the PB360 will warn you it will be a while so you don't think the system is hung up.

In general, most all books open up in seconds (as in, less than a minute), usually 10-15, and while no scientific study has been published, most reports have the PB360 among the fastest in the industry *today*. My own experience, FWIW, is that the same books that are slow to open on PB360 are about as slow on my dual-core Athlon Tablet PC (2.2GHz).

It's all about balance: between cost, battery life, and performance.
Most current readers use comparable CPUs and the ones known to have faster CPUs (which reduces battery-life, btw) rely on an architecture and software seems to eat away at that extra capability so they end up no faster.

Performance on today's ereaders isn't much of an issue because 99% of the time spent on them is spent reading, not booting, opening files, or even paging (unless you're using a really large font size). And the "flash-to-black" stops being an issue fairly fast simply because they are a very immersive reading medium; you're drawn into the story and lose track of the mechanics of the pagin process.

These are not things that can be experienced in a 30 second video or even a ten-minute store test drive. They do manifest within an hour or two of straight usage, though, which is why most new-owner testimonials sound positive from day one.

In general, I would suggest that page turn experience and book opening speed are *not* likely discrimnators between brands/models of eink readers. Software stability, book presentation options, and supported formats, as well as hardware design (ergonomics, build quality, etc) *are*. If the "flash-to-black" or book opening speed are issues of paramount importance to you, then you likely should be looking to other reading tech, probably a slate-format Tablet PC from Viliv, Archos, HP, etc.

Last edited by fjtorres; 04-13-2010 at 08:09 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote