Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #256
KoboJasi
KoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Touch
SD card image

Hello, I need someone's help!
2 days ago I tried to downgrade my Kobo Touch, because after the last upgrade I had problems with chess and sudoku (lol, I know, but it was annoying me), and I didn't read enough that how should I do it, just downloaded an older firmware and tryed to put it on the device. Everything gone well for a while, it has finished " upgrading" then while restarting it has been freezed, and my PC didn't recognize it anymore.
After that I did some research, then I opened up my Kobo, and fortunately it's an imx 507 revision, with an internal SD card in it. I've succeeded to take a firmware to it in linux by ubuntu rescue remix as I've read in an other topic, but it still won't work.
I think i need an image file of the whole SD card of a working Kobo Touch. (Of course I should have taken one copy of my card before I started, but I missed..)
Does anyone can help me?
KoboJasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #257
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJasi View Post
Hello, I need someone's help!
2 days ago I tried to downgrade my Kobo Touch, because after the last upgrade I had problems with chess and sudoku (lol, I know, but it was annoying me), and I didn't read enough that how should I do it, just downloaded an older firmware and tryed to put it on the device. Everything gone well for a while, it has finished " upgrading" then while restarting it has been freezed, and my PC didn't recognize it anymore.
After that I did some research, then I opened up my Kobo, and fortunately it's an imx 507 revision, with an internal SD card in it. I've succeeded to take a firmware to it in linux by ubuntu rescue remix as I've read in an other topic, but it still won't work.
I think i need an image file of the whole SD card of a working Kobo Touch. (Of course I should have taken one copy of my card before I started, but I missed..)
Does anyone can help me?
Hi KoboJasi,

Oh dear! You gave yourself the wrong firmware.

Now that you have your internal µSD card out, have you tried what was suggested by HesselM here? If you can mount your internal µSD card, you should be able to put the files of the correct firmware in the "normal" partition in .kobo. Put your Touch together again, and startup. It should then install the correct firmware.

If it won't start up, try triggering a startup by plugging the usb cable in, that usually works if the on-slider doesn't work.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #258
KoboJasi
KoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toysKoboJasi shares his or her toys

Hi! Thank you for the advice but I think it's too late for me... As I mentioned I didn't take an image file of my internal microSD and there is one more thing that I haven't told: I have formatted it to make a bootable SD card as I read in an other thread. I formatted it to ext3, put a firmware to it, tryed with the Touch, bot nothing. Then i looked at the SD card's directory tree and files and I saw that there is no .kobo directory. I wanted to make this directory with the command mkdir but I got a message that I don't have permission. After a few trying I formatted the card to ext2, then I could make a .kobo dir, and copied the firmware to it, but the Touch still doesn't respond. I think that the ext3 formatted SD should be the good choice, but I think I need an image file to make Touch go...

Last edited by KoboJasi; 03-09-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #259
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
... I have formatted it to make a bootable SD card as I read in an other thread...
I'm afraid that was a fatal mistake. The sdcard has more than one partition, and also stores the kernel, the bootloader and the serial number(!) in an unpartitioned part of the card. As the serial number is stored on the card, using someone else's card image means cloning his device, and that would cause problems with Kobo accounts, further firmware updates etc. I'm afraid no one would risk that for you. Sorry .
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:28 AM   #260
KoboJasi

Pfff... very bad news. So my Kobo won't wake up ever again.
Well thanks at all, guys! At least, anyone who will read this post in the future hopefully won't make a mistake like I did.
Bye!
Advert
Old 03-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #261
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can't the serial number be changed in the code when copying the clone over (or after or before)?

There are a few people who have already shared their internal SD card image. If you search in the regular Kobo forum you might find someone who has given out a link via PM. You could contact them and ask for a copy... then change the serial number to your own.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #262
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
The serial number can be changed, I set the serial number of my Glo's disk image to all zeros so I could share it without worrying about clones. If you know what you're doing it's quite easy to edit.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #263
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Ah great, thanks for the info Kevin, looks like there's a solution for KoboJasi afterall

Could you explain where/how to change the serial number so someone can make/give an image of their Touch to KoboJasi?

Edit: I just thought, since KoboJasi has a Touch, I'm assuming it will be necessary to get an image from someone with the same "kind" of Touch (new or "old")... KoboJasi, do you know which firmware your Touch needs, the Touch or the Glo firmware?

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 03-10-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #264
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's how to edit the serial number in a Kobo disk image so you can share it with others. This is for Windows users, though on Linux it can be done with the "bvi" program.

Once you've made an image of your Kobo's internal SD card, download and install HxD Hex Editor. Start up HxD, and open the Kobo disk image file. On the right side of the window, there should be a bunch of dots. Scroll down, and on the right you'll see the serial number after the text "SN-". Highlight the serial number and type in whatever number you want, then save the image file. That's all there is to it.

Here's a picture of the image file in HxD with the serial number highlighted (already partly cleared to zeros):
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	394
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	102724
Old 03-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #265
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Great news, I can only hope my previous pessimistic answer didn't frighten away KoboJasi and will come back to see your posts... (And also hope that he/she has the original serial number)
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:00 AM   #266
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Thank you Kevin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsdclsd View Post
Great news, I can only hope my previous pessimistic answer didn't frighten away KoboJasi and will come back to see your posts... (And also hope that he/she has the original serial number)
I hope so too! I did send them a PM to let them know. That message should be emailed to them, I hope.

The original serial number should be on the box the Touch came in... I hope they still have that
Old 03-11-2013, 05:30 AM   #267
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
This is for Windows users, though on Linux it can be done with the "bvi" program.
Other alternatives for Linux and also Mac users can be found here.

wxHexEditor looks good. Open source, cross platform. Still in beta.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 03-11-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #268
KevinShort
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Other alternatives for Linux and also Mac users can be found here.

wxHexEditor looks good. Open source, cross platform. Still in beta.
I just tried wxHexEditor on my Linux machine, it's much more user-friendly than bvi. Thanks for finding other options, Mrs Often!
Old 03-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #269
KoboJasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Ah great, thanks for the info Kevin, looks like there's a solution for KoboJasi afterall

Could you explain where/how to change the serial number so someone can make/give an image of their Touch to KoboJasi?

Edit: I just thought, since KoboJasi has a Touch, I'm assuming it will be necessary to get an image from someone with the same "kind" of Touch (new or "old")... KoboJasi, do you know which firmware your Touch needs, the Touch or the Glo firmware?
First of all a lot of thanks for all who take care about my problem!
I'm not sure but I think I got a new Touch. It's based on IMX 507 chip, which appeared last spring as I know.
Fortunately I got the original box of the device, so I do have the serial number. Eeermm.... Let's suppose that I can get an image file from someone. Should I format my SD card to ext3, or to another type?
Old 03-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #270
KevinShort
Addict

Quote:
Let's suppose that I can get an image file from someone. Should I format my SD card to ext3, or to another type?
It really doesn't matter. When you write the image file to the SD card the image overwrites everything on the card, including partitions.

Quote:
I'm not sure but I think I got a new Touch. It's based on IMX 507 chip, which appeared last spring as I know.
The Glo has an IMX 507 too, so it sounds like you have one of the newer Touch models.