Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-10-2012, 06:15 AM   #1
codeisnightmare
codeisnightmare began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Kindle Touch Registration Hack

Hi All,

I just want to ask, how to hack registration proses in kindle, my kindle have problem with it.
i have jailbreak, and places reginfo file into /var/local/java/prefs folder. but it still won't work. maybe someone here have trying this before

thanks
codeisnightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
What do you mean by "hacking the registration process"?

If you have an Amazon account, register your device normally, and if you have technical difficulties, call Amazon CS.

If you don't have an Amazon account, use the Kindle without registering it. There would be no point, and no advantage, in "pretending" that the device is registered. All registered features are tightly coupled to your Amazon account, and interaction with Amazon's servers.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Some folks do not want to register using WiFi for fear that Amazon will track them but want the ability to use collections and the like, which requires regstration. They look for a hack rather than just turning the WiFi on once, either at home or a near by store with free WiFi, registering and than never turning the WiFi on again.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
What do you mean by "hacking the registration process"?

If you have an Amazon account, register your device normally, and if you have technical difficulties, call Amazon CS.

If you don't have an Amazon account, use the Kindle without registering it. There would be no point, and no advantage, in "pretending" that the device is registered. All registered features are tightly coupled to your Amazon account, and interaction with Amazon's servers.
That's not true. You need to register the Kindle to create collections, or even to set the bloody time. (although ;st yyyy-mm-dd HH:MM works well in regards to time.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
Void42
Void42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with othersVoid42 plays well with others

Device: KPW2, KOA3
It is possible to "fake register" your KT and unlock all features (i.e. Collections).
You have to place a file with the name "reginfo" in "/var/local/java/prefs/" (same method as for k2 and k3 i think, but the format of the file differs).
Here a modified example of the "reginfo" file i used today to register my kindle touch (Fw: 5.1.0):

Quote:
#Fri Jun 15 07:35:22 GMT-06:47 2012
givenName=Foo
deviceName=Foo's Kindle
userName=Foo Bar
deviceEmailAddress=foo.bar@kindle.com

Last edited by Void42; 07-20-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Void42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Void42 View Post
It is possible to "fake register" your KT and unlock all features (i.e. Collections).
You have to place a file with the name "reginfo" in "/var/local/java/prefs/" (same method as for k2 and k3 i think, but the format of the file differs).
Here a modified example of the "reginfo" file i used today to register my kindle touch (Fw: 5.1.0):
Nice finding... but this will only work as long as you never turn on WLAN. As soon as you turn Wireless on, your device is unregistered again, and you end up with a device that has collections to which you can't add items anymore.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Nice finding... but this will only work as long as you never turn on WLAN. As soon as you turn Wireless on, your device is unregistered again, and you end up with a device that has collections to which you can't add items anymore.
So all that is needed now is a start-up script that copies a template file to the proper file. That should be easy to do. The downside then, of course, if yoiu ever *did* register the Kindle, the registration information would get wrecked at next re-start.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
vicented
vicented began at the beginning.

Device: kt
hello, i have the same problem but my firmware is 5.3.2, someone could tell me how is the file structure Reginfo in this version of firmware?

Thank you very much
vicented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
vicented
vicented began at the beginning.

Device: kt
nobody can help me? please
vicented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:19 AM   #10
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Edit...

Its same on touch 5.3.2

Quote:
#Wed Jan 09 25:25:72 GMT 2014
givenName=wibble
deviceName=Wobbler
userName=wibble wobble
deviceEmailAddress=wibble@kindle.com

Last edited by twobob; 02-18-2013 at 01:21 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:35 AM   #11
S3NTYN3L
S3NTYN3L began at the beginning.

Device: KT v5.6.0.1
I know this thread is necro, but I just bought a new Kindle Touch (with ads), v5.6.0.1.

I would like to fake register it to remove/prevent the GoodReads icon and/or files from installing themselves. (I have OCD and it's REALLY bothering me that I see this icon and don't want it or need it).

As you may already know, the settings menu is gimped unless registered. I've read somewhere here that I'd need disassemble to flip some relay and use a breakout to root. While I'm mechanically adept, I'm fearful of damaging the housing whilst prying things apart.

Thank you in advance for your support and understanding.

Last edited by S3NTYN3L; 10-19-2014 at 09:35 AM.
S3NTYN3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:25 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
This device is brand-new, and our dev team has not been able to jailbreak it. Hopefully, they will soon have it jailbroken (like when they actually get their own ) and have had some time to play with them...

However, fake registering will not be the solution, that just gives you the icon without having an Amazon account.
There is probably some way to edit the menubar, but it is a moot point until the device is jailbroken.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:50 PM   #13
S3NTYN3L

Thanks for the reply!

I'll try very hard to keep my OCD in check while waiting patiently for the fruits of a dev's labors. Thanks to you devs for all you do for the benefit of us all!!!
Old 10-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The question is, is your OCD bad enough to make it worth jailbreaking over the serial port?

Instructions are here, if you are interested in following this up: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=247480
Does not include any magic formulas for safely removing the housing, sorry.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:13 PM   #15
S3NTYN3L

That's the one I was referring to in my OP.
If it can be done gently and without damaging an edge or something, I'm ok with pulling the case, but I'd need much more detail on the 1.3v basic breakout and the procedure that goes along with its use. Not to mention a how to on the g removal.

That said, a step by step is what is needed.

Thanks again for the reply.