Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
From Calibre To A Tablet

I was wondering how do I set up Calibre to wirelessly send books to my Motorola Xoom? What reader app would be best for that?
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I use Aldiko Premium ($2.99 US) which is optimized for tablets but there is a free version you could try out first.
With Aldiko Premium: on tablet

1- tap Store
2- tap menu (3 horizontal lines in upper right corner)
3- tap my catalogs
4- tap + sign
5-enter title (name) for your Calibre link
6- enter the catalog URL in this format: http://192.168.1.123:8080 Where 192.168.1.123 is your IP address and "8080" is the usual port that Calibre uses
I don't like this list view, so I go to the bottom of the page and select full interface instead which allows searching by different criteria more easily (in my opinion)
7- to get a better interface for Calibre, you can enter instead: http://192.168.1.122:8080/stanza (I prefer this one)
(check your port in Calibre preferences, sharing over the net)
8- make sure your calibre server is "on" on your computer, control is an icon on the Calibre toolbar. I generally leave Calibre open and the server on so that I can "spontaneously" add new books from anywhere in my network's range ie. Outside on a fine summer day...
To find your IP address (on windows pc) so that you can enter the correct URL in Aldiko:
UPDATE: info is now available in Calibre by clicking on the arrow next to the content server icon. It's in the drop-down menu.
- click start
- type "cmd" in the search field
- when DOS window opens type "ipconfig"
- ip address is the one labelled "IPv4 Address"
9- tap calibre catalogue link in My Catalogs and if you have the correct URL, you will get your menu for your library allowing your to select books by newest, by author, by title, by series etc.
10- tapping the book icon within the selected listing will open up the synopsis/review

Hope this is enough to help!

PS: you can use the following URL in your e-ink reader's browser to get your books wirelessly from Calibre. I have it set as my home page in my browser settings (instead of using the word "stanza" use "browse" eg: http://192.168.1.122:8090/browse) Note that the numbers here are just an example! You have to check for your own IP address and Port...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	home screen.jpg
Views:	895
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	86440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Settings-my catalogs.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	86441   Click image for larger version

Name:	+ to add catalog.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	86442   Click image for larger version

Name:	edit catalog screen.jpg
Views:	797
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	86443   Click image for larger version

Name:	without stanza suffix.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	86444   Click image for larger version

Name:	select full interface.jpg
Views:	796
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	86445   Click image for larger version

Name:	stanza url.jpg
Views:	757
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	86446   Click image for larger version

Name:	stanza interface.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	86447   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre server settings.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	86501   Click image for larger version

Name:	SC20120720-121158.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	350.9 KB
ID:	89463  

Last edited by Cdesja5; 12-29-2012 at 04:34 PM. Reason: details for Touch + added screenshots
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use Linux, is there a way to find my IP address on linux?
Old 05-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Google for instructions??? I'm not a programmer and am only familiar with windows...

Try this link for instructions:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/17012...ess-in-ubuntu/

Last edited by Cdesja5; 05-11-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
MorganM
Fanatic

I always forget about google....*facepalm*
Advert
Old 05-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
MorganM
Fanatic

Hey it worked! Thank you!
Old 05-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #7
Cdesja5
Wizard

You're welcome!
You can also set up a catalogue for public library books by entering the library's Overdrive sign-in page URL in the same way.
You can also authorize your device in the Aldiko settings menu (from the Aldiko home screen) for Adobe Digital Editions, with your ADE username name and password so that you can read DRM'd epubs and pdfs.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
LUanne
Enthusiast
LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab
Chantal - I'm new to the tablet world (just 2 days ). I bought a Samsung Galaxy with the 4G. Does that mean I don't have to download the Adobe Reader app? How about the Reader app that is like Reader for PC? I have a Sony 650 and the T1 and loved the ease of Calibre with those. I have Calibre on my desktop computer and am trying to figure out getting everything on the Tablet.

Luanne
LUanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Cdesja5
Wizard

You can pretty much do everything with only Aldiko (I prefer the Premium version for $2.99). You don't have to get any other apps on the tablet as long as you've got the books in Calibre and do the setup as described in my first post... I have several other reading apps on both my Vox and Galaxy Tab but never use them.
Once you've explored Aldiko a bit you'll find it has a lot of really good features to customize your reading experience too.
http://www.aldiko.com/features.html

Last edited by Cdesja5; 05-13-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #10
LUanne
Enthusiast
LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Chantal. I'll bite the bullet and give a shot. I'm so not a techie.

Luanne
Old 05-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #11
Cdesja5
Wizard

I'll check to see if you need help from time to time... Good luck!
Old 05-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #12
LUanne
Enthusiast

Thanks again. Sure wish you lived closer I do have cousins in Ottawa, but I guess that's still a bit far from Toronto.

Luanne
Old 05-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #13
Cdesja5
Wizard

Just a tad... Like a 5 hour drive, lol
Anyways, we're only as far away as the next post what with the Internet!
Old 05-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #14
LUanne
Enthusiast

Chantel, I'm going to PM you a question I don't think should be posted on the board about Calibre and Aldiko.

Luanne
Old 05-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #15
Cdesja5
Wizard

I added a screenshot of the Calibre server menu in the original post with the instructions. To get there:
Preferences->sharing over the net
This is to check or set the port (8080 by default) and select "run server on start up of Calibre"