Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
Josch91
Reader
Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.Josch91 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad
Question The best pdf Reader for the iPhone?

I like the "GoodReader". It's a wonderful application. But do you know other good pdf Readers?
Josch91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josch91 View Post
I like the "GoodReader". It's a wonderful application. But do you know other good pdf Readers?
I realize this isn't particularly helpful but I have failed to find anything better than GoodReader.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
scrappyd
scrappyd began at the beginning.

Device: ipod
I really like Stanza but I haven't tried GoodReader. I'll have to try it out to compare.
scrappyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
been using GoodReader too! very nice. no problems so far.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:04 AM   #5
rushow
rushow began at the beginning.

Device: none
Stanza doesn't read .pdfs, does it?
I'm looking for an app that will repaginate to accommodate the iphone screen, so I can increase font size and read without having to zoom and scroll with my fingers. I'm a fast reader, but it slows me down intolerably to have to mess around with my fingers.
Anyone know of anything like that?
rushow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
ilya239
ilya239 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushow View Post
I'm looking for an app that will repaginate to accommodate the iphone screen, so I can increase font size and read without having to zoom and scroll with my fingers. I'm a fast reader, but it slows me down intolerably to have to mess around with my fingers.
Next version of GoodReader, about to be released, does support reflow of PDF text to fit on the phone's screen. The text is extracted into a text-only mode, and is wrapped around the screen; you can set the font size. You can switch between the pdf-rendered view and the reflown-text view.

You can get it today if you become a beta-tester (ask at http://www.goodiware.com/support.php or by email from
"support at goodiware dot com").

Good luck!
ilya239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
rushow
rushow began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks

I appreciate the tip, ilya239.
I'll check it out.
rushow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #8
scrappyd
scrappyd began at the beginning.

Device: ipod
Quote:
Stanza does read pdf's, bookmarks them too. But you have to have wireless internet to transfer them to your ipod. Or you can use bookwork.oreilly.com to upload them and then you can download them to your ipod. That's what I do when I'm at work and for some reason (firewall or something) I am unable to connect wirelessly.
scrappyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #9
ilya239

Quote:
I'll check it out.
I got the beta version of GoodReader 2.3 today, and can say that the PDF reflow works very well. It's better than Stanza in that it lets you view the text either as wrapped-around, reflown text (where you can set text size and color to what is comfortable) _or_ as the rendered PDF page, and switch between the two. So you can do most of the reading in reflown text mode and do a quick switch to rendered PDF whenever you come to an equation or a figure.
This also works well for multi-column files -- when the reflown text gets to end of a column it just continues to the next column, you don't have to scroll back up to the top of the page.

Text extraction from PDFs is heuristic and might not work correctly for all files, but seems to work well for the files I have tried so far.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #10
ilya239

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappyd View Post
Stanza does read pdf's, bookmarks them too. But you have to have wireless internet to transfer them to your ipod. Or you can use bookwork.oreilly.com to upload them and then you can download them to your ipod. That's what I do when I'm at work and for some reason (firewall or something) I am unable to connect wirelessly.
Thanks for this reference! Only it's bookworm.oreilly.com .
Old 08-19-2009, 04:43 PM   #11
ilya239

Quote:
I'll check it out.
Btw, GoodReader is on sale for $.99 for the next three days.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:10 AM   #12
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya239 View Post
Sh*t, I paid the original price. A little patience would have helped!

Thanks Ilya, I installed the Beta with no problems!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:55 AM   #13
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappyd View Post
No, it's not reading PDF's, it's the stanza desktop doing pdf -> epub conversion, and frankly it does a terrible job. Things like mixing page headers randomly into the text and such.

I realize it's hard to convert PDF's to other formats usefully but I've seen better.

Anyway hate to be the negative guy but just wanted to point out what was really happening here.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #14
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya239 View Post
Thanks for the tip on this, was able to get it just in time
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:49 PM   #15
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I actually prefer Stanza, but I do use Calibre to convert PDF's to Epub and seem to have it working fairly well.

What I Do like about GoodReader is how it will let you transfer txt files and how nicely it displays them. It took me more than a few trys to figure out how to transfer the files because I found their instructions clear as mud, but once I figured it out, it's a very nice application for $0.99

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote