Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-08-2018, 11:54 AM   #1
BKh
Zealot
BKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
How to improve grip on reading device

I'm wondering what suggestions folks have to improve grip on a reading device. Specifically I'm using a Kindle Oasis. It has a metal back and can actually get a bit slippery. I've tried using clear cello tape, but that doesn't do much. The earlier Kindles had more of a plastic back so this wasn't an issue.

Not interested in using a case. But would prefer a solution that didn't prevent using a case in the future.

Bonus points if it is some regular household object I'm just not thinking of. I had the idea to contact cement some fine grit sand paper to the back, but I'm concerned with loose sand scratching things.
BKh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:59 AM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I used Gaffer Tape on my Oasis while I waited for a cover. There are some skins that help, but the one I tried didn't offer as much grip as the gaffer tape.

Skinomi is the brand of the skin I bought. I didn't buy gaffer tape, I found some in the video recording room at our church.

Last edited by Deskisamess; 11-08-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2018, 12:45 PM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
A rubber band?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
You might take a look at this:

https://www.amazon.com/TFY-Security-...ereader+holder

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I use a Talon Grip sheet, rubber texture. Very nice and comfy.
https://talongungrips.com/ (Products -> Other Grips -> Material)
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2018, 04:41 PM   #6
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
I had a similar problem with my hand getting cramped from holding my reader. I picked up one of these ring stands at my local dollar store. Works great!
I use the ring to hold the reader and it doubles as a stand on my desk. Folds flat and doesn't get in the way of the cover.
Worth a try for a buck!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stand.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	167575
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:40 PM   #7
elldan
elldan doesn't litterelldan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Voyage
Shower strips

Or maybe two or three of the bathtub strips (the ones so you don't slip in the shower).
elldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:06 PM   #8
BKh
Zealot
BKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by elldan View Post
Or maybe two or three of the bathtub strips (the ones so you don't slip in the shower).
Oh, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm thinking about.

Thanks for all the ideas.
BKh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:41 PM   #9
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
The lack of a decent case that gave me something to hold and protect the device is just one of the things that got me to return the Oasis 2 and use my Paperwhite 3.

The problem cited in this thread isn't with ereaders but with the Oasis.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:47 PM   #10
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
What about a popsocket? Not sure they are big enought to work as a stand with an e-reader but maybe. I am surprised but I kinda like the one I have for my phone, just wish it worked with wireless charging.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote