Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-18-2018, 02:30 AM   #181
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
That's what a lot of sources were reporting, but the lights are still on the bottom so not sure how that rumor started.
Thank you
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:48 AM   #182
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdirahim View Post
Is the screen lighting of the Paperwhite 4 much improved?

The previous one I have, you can see the light cones or shadows at the bottom. It's not too bad, but the Paperwhite 4 is supposed to be different, instead of 3 lights at the bottom it now has 4. Is anyone familiar with this and can comment on the new Paperwhite 4 lighting?
The lighting on the PW4 is very even and clear. Contrast is good. There are five lights across the bottom. The only time I see cones or shadows is when I deliberately look for them.
Advert
Old 11-18-2018, 07:08 PM   #183
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a Voyage and a Paperwhite 1 and 2 Paperwhite 3's and a Paperwhite 4. I did have a Paperwhite 2 but I've passed it to someone else. I've also bought at least half a dozen Paperwhites for my neighbors and set them up for them and helped them with them regularly. I've used a lot of Paperwhites.

Without exception all of their screens have been nearly perfect. I can't honestly say that one is better than the other, with the possible exception of the older ones with the lower pixel density, although I rarely notice that.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:18 PM   #184
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I have a Voyage and a Paperwhite 1 and 2 Paperwhite 3's and a Paperwhite 4. I did have a Paperwhite 2 but I've passed it to someone else. I've also bought at least half a dozen Paperwhites for my neighbors and set them up for them and helped them with them regularly. I've used a lot of Paperwhites.

Without exception all of their screens have been nearly perfect. I can't honestly say that one is better than the other, with the possible exception of the older ones with the lower pixel density, although I rarely notice that.

Barry
I agree. I did have one Paperwhite replaced, with no hassle, when I had a hotspot in a spot that was intrusive when reading. Other than that, they've been great. I'm hoping my Paperwhite 4 will be a worthy succesor. I'll find out when it comes...in January.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:44 AM   #185
bbtan123
bbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: none
I understand that X-ray has been a major selling point for the kindle but because most of my books are side-loaded, I haven't really gotten the chance to use it. What are everyone's thoughts on the X-ray? Is it a good add on or a necessity in their day to day use of the kindle? I read some threads on adding an x-ray plugin to calibre but found it a tad bit confusing...
bbtan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2018, 01:03 AM   #186
fardeenah
Connoisseur
fardeenah began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4
people are complaining that the text feels washed out on the psw4? any thoughts? i have a pw3
fardeenah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:22 AM   #187
ramona11
ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by fardeenah View Post
people are complaining that the text feels washed out on the psw4? any thoughts? i have a pw3

Also curious as well.. seen some videos on youTube about this as well. Is it that bad ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ramona11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 04:19 AM   #188
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramona11 View Post
Also curious as well.. seen some videos on youTube about this as well. Is it that bad ?

The text is a bit washed out, but tbh it’s no different that the PW3, imo that was washed out too. I solve the problem by putting the text on, I use Bookerly, Bold two. My PW4 has a slight yellow hue, I like it a lot.

I also found the Oasis 2 text a bit washed out as well, compare to my Voyage. Nothing is as clear as my Voyage.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:59 AM   #189
ramona11
ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.ramona11 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
The text is a bit washed out, but tbh it’s no different that the PW3, imo that was washed out too. I solve the problem by putting the text on, I use Bookerly, Bold two. My PW4 has a slight yellow hue, I like it a lot.

I also found the Oasis 2 text a bit washed out as well, compare to my Voyage. Nothing is as clear as my Voyage.

Funny thing is, there are people who said it has bluish tint, while some said it has yellow hue like yours. I thought it is because of the new bezel for waterproofing, but maybe it’s the e-ink display. Any thoughts?

ramona11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:52 AM   #190
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Color temperature of the LED is not entirely consistent across devices (never has been, never will be).

It (should be) consistent across a *single* device though (i.e., not be a blotchy mess like the PW1).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:51 AM   #191
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtan123 View Post
I understand that X-ray has been a major selling point for the kindle but because most of my books are side-loaded, I haven't really gotten the chance to use it. What are everyone's thoughts on the X-ray? Is it a good add on or a necessity in their day to day use of the kindle? I read some threads on adding an x-ray plugin to calibre but found it a tad bit confusing...
I liked X-ray a lot at first. It was easy to use to remind myself about characters from earlier in the book. Then they added a lot of features to it that mean nothing to me and made it a little more difficult to use as a character reference.

I still use it from time to time but for the most part I find using search on a character name is faster and gives me nearly as much information. I simply long press on a name, select search and there's nearly always enough in the result summaries to remind me.

Other than that I've never really found much value in X-ray.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:24 PM   #192
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
I just received my new Paperwhite. Amazon gave me $50 for my Voyage even though it wasn’t working. I wanted to use the 25% off on a new device and I didn’t want to spend the money for the Oasis, so I went with the Paperwhite. I miss the page turn sensors a lot, but I guess I can live with it. The screen is nice but the text is noticeably more washed out than the Voyage. I looked at the Glowlight 3 and the Clara HD but I much prefer the flush screen. Overall, I think I will be satisfied with the Paperwhite, just not overjoyed.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:31 PM   #193
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
...The screen is nice but the text is noticeably more washed out than the Voyage. I looked at the Glowlight 3 and the Clara HD but I much prefer the flush screen. Overall, I think I will be satisfied with the Paperwhite, just not overjoyed.
It might help to install a dark font (or two) like Constantia and DejaVu Serif E-Ink (which can be found somewhere in these forums).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:13 PM   #194
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
The screen is nice but the text is noticeably more washed out than the Voyage. I looked at the Glowlight 3 and the Clara HD but I much prefer the flush screen. Overall, I think I will be satisfied with the Paperwhite, just not overjoyed.
I use Bookerly on Bold two. It makes a big difference having the font darker.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:07 AM   #195
kript96
Enthusiast
kript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle PW (2018), Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Since I won't get my PW4 until my sister visits Mexico in January, I like hearing about them from those more fortunate.

I don't understand why some reviews say not having buttons is a negative. It also doesn't have wheels, solar cells for charging, or a socket for a buggy whip but none of those are listed as negatives.
That isn't a fair comparison, wheels doesn't have a function on a kindle, solar cells are jsut useful to charge that isn't the primary and active function of it... buttons makes it actually more comfortable and natural to turn pages, plus you don't have to deal with casual pages turned for error, since kindles are made TO READ, it makes sense people reviews count that aspect.

Anyway mi new pw4 works well, i don't really like the percentage near the battery, makes me anxious. plus i noticed that since two days ago (full charge) it's already at 65%??? i hope it doesn't go down at this pace all the time.

Last edited by kript96; 11-25-2018 at 08:11 AM.
kript96 is offline   Reply With Quote