Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-05-2017, 01:33 PM   #1
ccheek21
ccheek21 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Connect to Calibre content server from another computer

I would like to access the books on my Calibre content server from another instance of Calibre on my laptop. Is there any way to do this without simply cloning the database directory?

Last edited by ccheek21; 07-05-2017 at 01:36 PM.
ccheek21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:27 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The content server is a Client-server relationship, not a server-server relation.

If you just want an offline Catalog, generate one using one of the menu choices accessed from the Right-click choice on the Conversion icon
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2017, 02:28 PM   #3
ccheek21

Can I run the desktop application as a client? Or is it possible to manage the remote server via the desktop interface? I currently have a headless server running on an always-on machine, but I want to figure out a way to make that work nicely with the calibre application on my laptop so I can still access my ebooks on my laptop.

Last edited by ccheek21; 07-05-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:44 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No there isn't. Eventually I plan on allowing calibre to conenct to a calibre-server instance as a "device".
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:53 PM   #5
ccheek21

Alright, thanks for clarifying! I would definitely appreciate if that functionality were to be added.
Advert
Old 07-21-2020, 09:37 PM   #6
threedee
threedee began at the beginning.

Device: Glo HD
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No there isn't. Eventually I plan on allowing calibre to conenct to a calibre-server instance as a "device".
Is this available now?

threedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:53 PM   #7
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by threedee View Post
Is this available now?

"... Eventually I plan to allow ..." (in the future)
Don't be anxious
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:23 AM   #8
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post
"... Eventually I plan to allow ..." (in the future)
Don't be anxious
In their defense, it has been 3 years...
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:00 AM   #9
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
the future is very uncertain jajajaja
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:30 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's still on my todo list, but my todo list stretches to the moon, so...
Old 07-22-2020, 09:48 AM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It's still on my todo list, but my todo list stretches to the moon, so...
I strongly suspect that every item removed from the todo list is being replaced by two new items.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:53 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I strongly suspect that every item removed from the todo list is being replaced by two new items.
Every feature I add yields first a flurry of bug reports because of bugs in the initial implementation, then a long tail of enhancement requests, and then a bunch of new feature requests to do with the interaction of the new feature with other things, and finally sporadic bugs as the environment calibre lives in changes and the feature has to be adjusted for new realities.

When I first started calibre I naively thought it would be "largely done" in a few years in time with me finishing my Ph. D. And here we are, a decade and a half later and still going strong...

Tags
connect, content server