Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-09-2012, 05:23 AM   #1
Fozzybear
Enthusiast
Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
How many 'improvements' do we really need?

Reading a thread about the rumours about new front-lit readers and seeing how some people have bought many, many e-readers it struck me as interesting that something as outwardly basic as a device for reading a book attracts much the same gadget upgraditis that other consumer electronic devices attract. I'm curious about what people think about this - are we victims of the push for more gizmos, more bells and whistles? Are people still searching for the 'perfect' device to read from or are we being led like sheep to buy the 'new' just for the sake of it? Is there something lacking from the devices of today that tangibly interferes with your reading?

I came into ebook readers on a whim, mainly buying a kindle as a 'gadget' to satisfy a somewhat shallow desire to buy something for myself to cheer myself up during a rough patch but also in an attempt to reinvigorate my desire to read (both were a small help there) but now I've had the reader for a few months and am settling into using it I find myself looking at new devices and talk of improved displays with higher resolution, colour and touch screens with more than a little befuddlement. I can understand that driving towards 'better' specs is often a good thing but in a device designed for reading books I find myself wondering if this is improvement as necessity or for the sake of fad and fashion.

Maybe it's a sign of approaching middle-age but as someone who has had more than his fair share of near-terminal upgraditis over the years I know the desire for the new very well but at the same time I fear we lose sight of what these devices are really for in the search for the 'improved'. Do we really need to keep upgrading our devices just because something new is available? Have we reached the point where e-readers are perfectly functional in the same way that paperback had been for many decades? It seems to me that if we can reach a good base specification for an e-reader, one that is easy to use, not too slow and does a good job of displaying the written word but doesn't try to do too much then the attention of the user would be on the content rather than the device. Surely it would be better for authors and publishers to have people buying (and reading) books rather than replacement e-readers?

Apologies for rambling on there somewhat!
Fozzybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:31 AM   #2
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzybear;................it struck me as interesting that something as outwardly basic as a device for reading a book attracts much the same gadget upgraditis that other consumer electronic devices attract. I'm curious about what people think about this - are we victims of the push for more gizmos, more bells and whistles? Are people still searching for the 'perfect' device to read from or are we being led like sheep to buy the 'new' just for the sake of it? .........I find myself wondering if this is improvement as necessity or for the sake of fad and fashion.
......................... I fear we lose sight of what these devices are really for in the search for the 'improved'. Do we [I
really[/I] need to keep upgrading our devices just because something new is available? Have we reached the point where e-readers are perfectly functional in the same way that paperback had been for many decades? It seems to me that if we can reach a good base specification for an e-reader, one that is easy to use, not too slow and does a good job of displaying the written word but doesn't try to do too much then the attention of the user would be on the content rather than the device. Surely it would be better for authors and publishers to have people buying (and reading) books rather than replacement e-readers?
Apologies for rambling on there somewhat!
(We all do that !)

However... " 'Twas ever thus..."
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Front light isn't really needed but more ppi would be welcome. 167 is a little on the less side. Something over 250 would be great.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit
Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nookpadle 6
Shouldn't we place some of the blame for this at the feet of the manufacturers? Amazon did a brilliant piece of marketing with Kindle Wifi 6”. They brought out a basic model with black and white screen at a very affordable price, which is now their best seller and now everyone wants to upgrade to the colour touch. At the end of the day I guess we are all sheep.
Justin Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
In a world which has decided that economic growth is the only meaningful measure of success and where we are constantly bombarded by advertisements urging us to spend, spend, spend on crap we don't need, it really isn't surprising that every hobby and every gadget, no matter how pointless or insignificant, is subject up upgradeitis.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Tide. New Tide. New and Improved Tide. Ultra Tide. New Ultra Tide. New and Improved Ultr Tide. Mega Tide.

I'm good with it.

I'm good with it so long as the new and improved model doesn't necessitate my purchase through support obsolescence. Imagine they come out with a new ebook reader and the next month all new books have to be read on the new reader.

That happens with software, albeit more slowly. Sometimes it makes sense, sometimes it just makes business sense.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
As to the OP, follow this link back in time to 1972, 40 years ago. Then you will find acclaimed director Orson Wells (of War of the Worlds fame) whining about the exact same thing.

http://youtu.be/6Ghzomm15yE

For the ADD afflicted, pick up a 4:00 minutes in.

Lesson today: we survived.

Last edited by Rob Lister; 04-09-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
realracer2
realracer2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.realracer2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.realracer2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.realracer2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
As for me my Kindle one is good enough. I can read a book on it.
realracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #9
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Some upgrades improve the reading experience: faster processor allowing for quicker page turns, quicker file management.etc. For example, my Kindle 4 NT is a substantially better e-reading experience for me than my Kindle 3g.

But, I really didn't need the upgrade.

I've had one time where a device upgrade would have/will cost me serious bucks - when Palm decided their new phones would no longer be backward combatible. So, I am holding on to my Centro.

Obsolescence stinks.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Part of it is that the e-readers are affordable enough that it is easy to upgrade on a whim for some folks. While there is an onging issue with uneployment, underemployment, and the like, there are plenty of people who are doing fine and can afforf $100 for a new e-reader when the latest and greatest is released.

I tend to skip one generation, I went K1, DXG (I wanted the larger screen), K3 (for travel). I find myself using my K3 more and more. I have a feeling that the DXG is going to begin gathering dust. I am nit sure why, probably because the K3 is just lighter and easier to use.

I am going to be picking up a tablet before the baby comes. If the Amazon format change screws over my reading on the K3, I will pick up a KT or wait for the next iteration of Kindle to be released.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
I'm happy enough with the kindle 4NT I have, but I'm glad new models are continuing to be developed and released. Whilst I'd never upgrade just to have lighting added to an eink display, if my device breaks and I buy a new kindle it'll be a nice extra feature

I "upgraded" from a Hanlin because the additional features and reduced cost made it attractive. Had the kindle 4NT not been £50 I'd have continued with the hanlin as none of the features were "killers". But, for £50 to get Wifi support, dictionary and reduced weight + screen improvement over the hanlin, it was worth it. Plus I like the ease of buying a book on Amazon and having it auto delivered to the kindle, even though I'll later plug in to free the book

Not sure what it'll take to get me to upgrade again though. Whilst I'd love to see colour eInk like devices for a low cost, I'm more interested in those displays on laptops/tablets than my reader. Mono is fine for the books I read. It'll likely be an as yet unknown killer feature or more likely a combination of features + price that makes an upgrade attractive again in the future (or death of current reader

In a way that's why I'm still perfectly happy with my iPad 1 despite the speed increases the iPad 2 brings or the new screen the iPad 3 brings. For my current usage there's not enough new features to warrant an upgrade at the current asking price.

One trap I hope we don't fall into is upgrading HW to get new SW features when the existing HW would be perfectly capable of running the same SW but the company making it decides to use it as a way to sell new devices. Not pointing fingers anywhere there, just a general observation.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #12
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
OTOH, I have multiple ereaders because I like the one I have (Sony PRS-650) and since they stopped making it, I got a spare. And a -350 for backup. And a spare for that one also.

No upgraditis, just like a particular model and want to stay with it for a few (many) years.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
People have stocked up on K3's because they like the keyboard.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
OTOH, I have multiple ereaders because I like the one I have (Sony PRS-650) and since they stopped making it, I got a spare. And a -350 for backup. And a spare for that one also.

No upgraditis, just like a particular model and want to stay with it for a few (many) years.
Same here. Just saw two lighted covers for the PRS-350 ($25ea) in a Sony Outlet Store so bought those, too. Had the chance to play with the PRS-T1 they had on display and really, the PRS-x50 series are much nicer.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #15
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I stayed with the k3 bc the k4 screen was either grayer or no better, and the k3 form factor works better for me. If the k5 doesn't have an improved screen ( light doesn't count) I'll probably skip it too.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diatribe, gadget, ramble, upgrade