Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 05:14 AM   #1
Cthulhu4u
Cthulhu4u began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Question MOBI Files not in library

Hello,

I've got several (over 2000) books that I've converted to AZW3 forumat over the years and I store them on a Dropbox and just download them to my Fire's books directory when I want one. They have always shown up fine. I wanted to convert myt books to MOBI and use that format instead, but now when I download them to the fire in either the books or documents folder, they don't show up in the library. I'm using one of the newer $49 kindles. I've never had this happen with MOBI before and I have, of course, made sure that the PDIC tag isn't there. I can open and read the files on the fire in Dropbox and and I can use a file manager to read them once they are on the device, but they just won't show up in my library. I have converted about 200 to MOBI so far and thought I'd try to resolve this before I do all the others.
Cthulhu4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:54 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Look under documents not books.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:09 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu4u View Post
Hello,

I've got several (over 2000) books that I've converted to AZW3 forumat over the years and I store them on a Dropbox and just download them to my Fire's books directory when I want one. They have always shown up fine. I wanted to convert myt books to MOBI and use that format instead, but now when I download them to the fire in either the books or documents folder, they don't show up in the library. I'm using one of the newer $49 kindles. I've never had this happen with MOBI before and I have, of course, made sure that the PDIC tag isn't there. I can open and read the files on the fire in Dropbox and and I can use a file manager to read them once they are on the device, but they just won't show up in my library. I have converted about 200 to MOBI so far and thought I'd try to resolve this before I do all the others.
I'd stick with AZW3 which is superior. MOBI is an obsolete format. However if it comes in MOBI format I'd just leave it like that as converting it is redundant. When dealing with MOBI it will be need a EBOK tag to show up in the library otherwise it will be in the documents library only. You can always email it to your Kindle when all else fails.

AZW3 = EPUB in a wrapper
MOBI = limited features, no dropped caps for example.
AZW3 converted to EPUB or EPUB to AZW3 you lose very little formatting.
Converting AZW3 or EPUB to MOBI you will lose certain formatting features.

Last edited by Blossom; 05-18-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:57 PM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If nothing else there's an app called Kindlemover that will move mobi files into your library. Unfortunately Amazon doesn't have it in their app store so you'd have to find it from Google Play or another source.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:59 AM   #5
JackErbes
Enthusiast
JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.

Device: K4 Non Touch, Fire HD (3rd Gen)
I don't know the answer but I saw a nice image of you here:

Jack
JackErbes is offline   Reply With Quote