Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-24-2018, 09:57 AM   #196
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Leaving WiFi on drastically shortens battery life, as you'll see.
That is while using the device. To turn wifi off to reduce battery drain on a sleeping Kindle doesn't do much, I don't believe. Everytime it wakes up from deep sleep, it has to reconnect to wifi or cell again.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:01 AM   #197
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
That is while using the device. To turn wifi off to reduce battery drain on a sleeping Kindle doesn't do much, I don't believe. Everytime it wakes up from deep sleep, it has to reconnect to wifi or cell again.
Primarily while using it, yes. It has some impact while sleeping, because the Kindle will wake up occasionally to phone home to Amazon. But the main impact is while it's awake, yes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2018, 10:06 AM   #198
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Primarily while using it, yes. It has some impact while sleeping, because the Kindle will wake up occasionally to phone home to Amazon. But the main impact is while it's awake, yes.
That is why I keep my kindle in airplane mode except for when I want to sync it or download a book or two.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:15 AM   #199
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
That is why I keep my kindle in airplane mode except for when I want to sync it or download a book or two.
Yes, I keep mine permanently in aeroplane mode, because I prefer to side-load all my books.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:24 AM   #200
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara 2E, Libra 2, Libra Colour
Quote:
Leaving WiFi on drastically shortens battery life, as you'll see.
I know, I'm just feeling contrary today!
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2018, 07:12 AM   #201
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
They should equip this device with electromagnetic charging, like a wireless charging pad, only whenever you are using it in an environment where there are wireless signals, the device would convert those to energy.

Since ebook readers use so little energy, 24 hours of this, could give you enough juice to read a couple of hours, every day, without ever needing to physically plug the device in.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:31 AM   #202
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
They should equip this device with electromagnetic charging, like a wireless charging pad, only whenever you are using it in an environment where there are wireless signals, the device would convert those to energy.

Since ebook readers use so little energy, 24 hours of this, could give you enough juice to read a couple of hours, every day, without ever needing to physically plug the device in.
I'm not sure that the figures would add up. See:

https://www.wired.com/2015/06/power-wifi-isnt-think/
Old 01-25-2018, 07:57 PM   #203
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm not sure that the figures would add up. See:

https://www.wired.com/2015/06/power-wifi-isnt-think/
Yeah, probably not enough to run the device from it, but perhaps enough to extend it's battery life.
An ebook reader should use about 10-20x less power than a cellphone.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:48 AM   #204
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I am not sure why but I allowed my Oasis to discharge almost all the way, well down to 10% left then I charged it over night. Now my battery is not discharging near as quickly as it was in the past.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:52 AM   #205
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I am not sure why but I allowed my Oasis to discharge almost all the way, well down to 10% left then I charged it over night. Now my battery is not discharging near as quickly as it was in the past.
That probably just indicates that the battery gauge wasn't correctly calibrated. It takes a (pretty much) full discharge to calibrate it. When I get a new Kindle, I generally let it run right down to the low battery warning to calibre it.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:15 AM   #206
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I had a tad better battery life this week. it only dropped 40% in 5 days

always in airplane mode. light on level 10 30 minutes to 45 minutes reading a day

Last edited by HLS; 01-26-2018 at 02:43 PM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:08 AM   #207
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
As has been said before, that figure means absolutely nothing in isolation. How many hours reading have you done in the week? WiFi on or off? Frontlight set to what level?
Old 01-26-2018, 11:09 AM   #208
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Just remember to plug it in every sunday, and you will never have to worry about running out of battery.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:22 PM   #209
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Quote:
That probably just indicates that the battery gauge wasn't correctly calibrated. It takes a (pretty much) full discharge to calibrate it. When I get a new Kindle, I generally let it run right down to the low battery warning to calibre it.
Hogwash!
Fully discharging a lithium battery, is the worst thing you can do.
Also, the device measuring the battery, measures fully charged levels, and tells how empty a cell is, via the voltage readout.
It doesn't need to know what the minimum battery voltage is, as a lithium battery that's worn or empty will just put out less volts.

Some measure amps instead. But volt and amps are directly related.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:39 PM   #210
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Hogwash!
Fully discharging a lithium battery, is the worst thing you can do.
Using it until you get the low battery warning does not fully discharge it. You can't discharge it to the point at which damage might occur.

Quote:
Also, the device measuring the battery, measures fully charged levels, and tells how empty a cell is, via the voltage readout.
It doesn't need to know what the minimum battery voltage is, as a lithium battery that's worn or empty will just put out less volts.
The relationship between voltage and battery charge level is device-specific (or, more accurately, battery-specific), and the firmware does need to calibrate it. This is well-established.

Tags
battery life, koa2