Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-28-2017, 02:43 PM   #1
Ocicat
Groupie
Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Librie,PRS900,950,K4, KT, PW1&2, KV
Oasis 1 or 2 - How do you hold it?

My Oasis will arrive tuesday 10.31.17 and I just realized this morning that the buttons to turn pages and the extra frame to hold the reader are on the right side.

I always hold my readers on the left side, with my left hand, so unless I can flip the Oasis that may be a problem.
The Voyage has frame and buttons on both sides, so I never thought about it.

This habit may come from decades of holding books with left hand and turning pages with right hand?

So, current Oasis owners how do you hold it?
Ocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:46 PM   #2
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocicat View Post
My Oasis will arrive tuesday 10.31.17 and I just realized this morning that the buttons to turn pages and the extra frame to hold the reader are on the right side.

I always hold my readers on the left side, with my left hand, so unless I can flip the Oasis that may be a problem.
The Voyage has frame and buttons on both sides, so I never thought about it.

This habit may come from decades of holding books with left hand and turning pages with right hand?

So, current Oasis owners how do you hold it?
The current Oasis, you just flip it over to hold in the other hand and the text flips along with it. I assume the new one would do the same. Works great.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2017, 02:47 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
You can turn it upside down and it will notice and flip the display.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:28 PM   #4
Ocicat
Groupie
Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Librie,PRS900,950,K4, KT, PW1&2, KV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
The current Oasis, you just flip it over to hold in the other hand and the text flips along with it. I assume the new one would do the same. Works great.
Great! Just what I was hoping. Thank you both for your prompt answer.

I would have tried to adapt, like I did when I switched from the PRS-950 with page turns at the bottom and its 7" screen.
Ocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:50 PM   #5
seanyyz
Connoisseur
seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I always held it on the left side but after a while I adapted the way I hold my Oasis and my coffee so now the Oasis is in my right hand.
seanyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2017, 10:21 AM   #6
Demingy
Groupie
Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You can turn it upside down and it will notice and flip the display.
Just wanted to add that it not only flips the display but the buttons too (so if the bottom button is set for page forward, it is the same regardless of which side the buttons are on). I regularly flip my Oasis as I read and I love that I just don’t even have to think about it. Sometimes I don’t even notice when I do it, I’ll just realize at some point that I’m holding it in my other hand.
Demingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:42 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Upside down, which means it's always right side up.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:49 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Can the accelerometer be disabled? I have to disable it on my iPad when I'm using it flat in bed, or else it tends to flip orientation pretty much at random.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:55 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can the accelerometer be disabled? I have to disable it on my iPad when I'm using it flat in bed, or else it tends to flip orientation pretty much at random.

I don't see it as an option on the first Oasis.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:28 AM   #10
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Not that I'm aware of (Oasis 1), but I've never found it to be a problem. There seems to be enough hysteresis built in to the system to prevent unwanted flipping (at least as I use it).
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:29 AM   #11
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
I can't in the original Oasis, but I've never had the orientation flip on my Oasis while I was reading in bed, whether it was lying on my side, or on my back.

Of course, this doesn't mean that it won't flip for you, but if it does, you can return it and go back to your Voyage.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:34 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I can't in the original Oasis, but I've never had the orientation flip on my Oasis while I was reading in bed, whether it was lying on my side, or on my back.

Of course, this doesn't mean that it won't flip for you, but if it does, you can return it and go back to your Voyage.

Shari
I guess I'll find out in a couple of days .

I suspect it's not really going to be an issue for my Oasis. I use my iPad with it lying flat because it's quite heavy. The Oasis will be a lot lighter, so I'll just hold it, as I do my Voyage.

I am a little concerned about use in zero-G environments, though... .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:46 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
Not that I'm aware of (Oasis 1), but I've never found it to be a problem. There seems to be enough hysteresis built in to the system to prevent unwanted flipping (at least as I use it).
Actually, it's no problem at all for me. I prefer to hold it with the buttons on the right side.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:51 AM   #14
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
It should be no problem. You have to turn it well past 90 degrees before it flips.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:02 PM   #15
NoHolyGrail
Connoisseur
NoHolyGrail began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (previously owned PRS-500, PRS-600)
Quote:
I also sometimes have this issue with phones and tablets, but so far not the Oasis because it only flips 180 degrees automatically. If you want to switch orientation between landscape and portrait, you must actually select it from the menu. This helps a lot.
NoHolyGrail is offline   Reply With Quote