Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-01-2017, 04:45 PM   #1
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Nook GlowLight 3 released Nov 8

I have built a wiki page for the new Nook GlowLight 3. It is scheduled to ship Nov 8 and costs $120.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:35 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Error

Has anyone mentioned the new Nook Tablet 7" at $50?

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/noo...ble/1124589342

EDIT: Didn't realize the $50 Nook Tablet was old news. Sorry. If someone wants to delete this post, that would be fine with me.

Last edited by rcentros; 11-02-2017 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Wrong Information -- Sorry
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2017, 09:58 PM   #3
iluvgadgets
Connoisseur
iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle paperwhite
I just saw an ad for the glow light 3!! Not sure I’ll order it. I thought B&N announced that they were not making any more devices?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iluvgadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #4
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I emailed B&N to ask about the OS for the Glowlight 3.

Here is their response:

Please be advised that the new NOOK Glowlight 3 has an operating system of Android 4.4.2 (KitKat). Also, please be informed that it does NOT run other Android applications or work with Google Play Store.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:31 PM   #5
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I was really looking forward to upgrading my nook but this is a downgrade in design it seems. They are going back to the old style and still only 6"
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2017, 06:04 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I was really looking forward to upgrading my nook but this is a downgrade in design it seems. They are going back to the old style and still only 6"
I like the old style – that's what attracts me to this new GlowLight. I like the wider bezel, the hardware buttons and the "grippy" plastic/rubber. I also think I *could* like the night "mode." I don't know yet. I haven't seen one in the flesh. Between Kobo, Kindle and Nook, it looks like the Nook and Kobo came out with the first touch screens at the same time, but the Nook came out with the first lighted screen and now they're the first (among these three anyhow) to come out with a "night mode" on an eInk reader. Still innovating. Kind of cool.

As far as 6" goes. I think most people still want that size and you jump up in price quite a bit to get to a 7" or bigger screen. I doubt Barnes & Noble will ever have enough of the eBook market to justify releasing two eInk models simultaneously.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:42 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
as far as 6" goes. I think most people still want that size and you jump up in price quite a bit to get to a 7" or bigger screen. I doubt Barnes & Noble will ever have enough of the eBook market to justify releasing two eInk models simultaneously.
The H2O2 is $179.99 with free shipping from Kobo. That's only $60 more for a very nice 6.8" screen and a much better designed comfort light (orange light). After using a 6" screen and a 6.8" screen, the 6.8" screen wins hands down. The extra size is very nice. 6" now seems small.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:56 PM   #8
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I might just pick one up when it arrives in stores next Wednesday. I have tried a larger display (the Kobo Aura HD) but ended up going back to 6 inches. Personal taste, of course, but 6 inches feels like the sweet spot for me.

Moreover, my first eInk device was the NST, so I have a soft spot for these Nooks. I also want to support competition when possible.

The Glowlight 3 has Android 4.4.2 as its OS. There could be a way to install an app or two on it - possibly by adb. I'll do a little mild tinkering with it and find out.

I also emailed B&N, for what it's worth, to suggest that they consider setting up the Glowlight to make it easy to install a few apps - not games and videos, but apps that are primarily about reading. Take Instapaper, for example. Or Wikipedia. If B&N did that with their Nook, they'd have a feature that neither Kindle nor Kobo offer. It could be a good selling point, if marketed intelligently.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:26 AM   #9
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
". . . if marketed intelligently."
That's B&N's problem in a nutshell. A good example is my recent experience with B&N. I preordered, months ago, Brandon Sanderson's Edgedancer in hardcover. This year alone, I have bought more than 100 hardcovers from B&N, many that I preordered. When Edgedancer was released, instead of sending me my copy, B&N sent me an email telling me that my order was being canceled because

Quote:
Your order contained an item that is no longer scheduled for
release. This may be because the item was discontinued or replaced by a newer version.
Yet the book was available on its website for instant purchase. The difference was the price. The preorder price was lower than the release price. It appears that B&N simply didn't want to honor the preorder price. I wrote customer service and asked about this and received a response that made no sense. B&N did give me a coupon for 20% off one item, but refused to explain why the preorder wouldn't be fulfilled when the book was clearly available.

B&N simply doesn't understand the concept of the customer comes first, nor does it understand the obvious reasons why it keeps losing business to Amazon. Although people like to say it is because Amazon's prices are lower, often that isn't the case; many times books I have bought at B&N have been the same or lower priced than Amazon. The real difference is in how Amazon handles customer relations and built a mythology around itself.

Last edited by rhadin; 11-05-2017 at 02:29 AM.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:17 AM   #10
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
The real difference is in how Amazon handles customer relations and built a mythology around itself.
There's the answer, in a nutshell. As you say, B&N has shown a singular talent for shooting itself in the foot. Five years ago, it was a real contender in the eBook wars. A lack of focus on customer service, and a knack for doing things like you describe which alienate customers, have given B&N a number of black eyes. Amazon got to be where they are by a focus on solid customer service, the mythology they have been able to wrap around themselves (à la Apple), and knowing how and when to be aggressive in their practices, but in a smart way. B&N could still redeem themselves, but they seem to be in no hurry to do that.

Even having said all that, I might still buy this device! Weird, I know.

Edit: someone who saw a display model in a B&N store said that the device has less than 1gb for side loading, while over 5gb for Nook store content. That's a definite minus, if true. And, another example of what you are saying!

Last edited by downeaster59; 11-05-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:02 PM   #11
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The H2O2 is $179.99 with free shipping from Kobo. That's only $60 more for a very nice 6.8" screen and a much better designed comfort light (orange light). After using a 6" screen and a 6.8" screen, the 6.8" screen wins hands down. The extra size is very nice. 6" now seems small.
"[O]nly $60 more" is a whopping 50% increase and the new GlowLight has better resolution.

Plus, you can buy the Nook in a b&m store and not have to order internationally with its concomitant return problems and get on-the-spot customer help and service. For some, with larger hands or impaired mobility the larger bezels are an advantage. And... there are more reasons why some might prefer this device or to buy from B&N.

The H20 is not a one-size-fits-all reader, no matter how much you like yours; no device is. I think a lot of us, including me, can suffer from confirmation bias in regard to readers and I always find it useful to consider if I'm overvaluing aspects of my readers and underrating advantages offered by a different model. Certainly it helps when you're offering advice!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:05 PM   #12
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
This morning I was at our B&N store looking at the new Nook. I asked the young man behind the counter about how much space was usable for side loading books. He replied that all approximately 6 gb was usable for side loading. So how to get the true answer??
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:03 PM   #13
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysclie View Post
This morning I was at our B&N store looking at the new Nook. I asked the young man behind the counter about how much space was usable for side loading books. He replied that all approximately 6 gb was usable for side loading. So how to get the true answer??
It would make more sense to have only one storage partition for both Nook store items and sideloading.

Still, to find the true answer, you could email B&N customer service and ask. Or, you could go back to the store, play around with one of the demos, and see if you can find the answer in Settings. Or, buy one. If storage isn't set up as that young man said, you have 14 days to return it.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:08 PM   #14
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
I just rechecked their website and here is what it now says.
"Holds thousands of books (8GB memory: 6.5GB for NOOK Store content and side-loaded content)." This sounds much better!!
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:29 PM   #15
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysclie View Post
I just rechecked their website and here is what it now says.
"Holds thousands of books (8GB memory: 6.5GB for NOOK Store content and side-loaded content)." This sounds much better!!
I emailed B&N customer service. Here's what they said:

We would like to inform you that the NOOK GlowLight 3 have the maximum memory/storage of 8GB. The 6.5GB storage will not be partitioned to NOOK Store and side-loaded content. You can fill it with your side-loaded content or purchased book on the NOOK Shop.

Sounds even better!