Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-25-2017, 01:00 AM   #1
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Sideloading Possible?

I have a PRS-505 and a PRS-300, bought used without software and have not been able to use them yet due to not being able to do a simple sideload of books, unlike my Kindle and Kobo readers. I have also not been able to find a download of the Sony control software for my 32 bit PC running Windows XP.

Any links to side loading instructions or a source of an early version of the Sony reader files control software for my antique PC?

Based on web searches I get the impression that the early Sony e-readers may be useless without the software for a computer and a check of the Kobo site indicates that the current software is not available for anything prior to Windows 8.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:15 AM   #2
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I believe it's just a matter of downloading the software to get the drivers --- once you have those, they should register as USB storage devices and you can manually copy over any ePub or PDF you wish (which doesn't have DRM --- for that you need the Sony software, but I thought that they'd switched everyone over to Kobo or some such)
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2017, 09:39 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Please ignore post #2. It's all wrong.

The 505 and 300 show up as removable drives without the need for any extra software. You do not need the Sony software. It's obsolete. As for side loading, you can use Calibre to do that. Calibre is what just about everyone on MR uses to side load. Also, you can easily manage collections with Calibre.

For any questions about Calibre, have a look in the Calibre forum on MR and if you have any questions, ask there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:02 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please ignore post #2. It's all wrong.
It's not even partly wrong. It's exactly how I loaded books onto my 505 from a Linux desktop (for which Sony never made any software). Calibre may be nice, but it isn't necessary. All you need is to be able to mount the drives on the ereaders via UMB (USB Mass Storage), and then copy the files over to the proper subfolder (which I think was called "books", but it's been a while and I could be wrong). Just be sure to eject the drive before disconnecting the USB cable to the ereader, or you can corrupt the filesystem on the ereader.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:51 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
It's not even partly wrong.
It's completely wrong. Having to download the Sony software to get drivers to be able to mount the 505/300 is 100% wrong. You don't need to download the Sony software. The 505/300 mount as a removable drive.

Yes, you can manually put the book on the Readers, but you cannot easily manage collections and metadata. You can do that with Calibre. Just because you chose to do it a more complicated way is no reason the OP should. I'm trying to suggest what's easiest for the OP.
Advert
Old 10-25-2017, 03:35 PM   #6
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's completely wrong. Having to download the Sony software to get drivers to be able to mount the 505/300 is 100% wrong. You don't need to download the Sony software. The 505/300 mount as a removable drive.

Yes, you can manually put the book on the Readers, but you cannot easily manage collections and metadata. You can do that with Calibre. Just because you chose to do it a more complicated way is no reason the OP should. I'm trying to suggest what's easiest for the OP.
I think that @WillAdams meant that the USB drivers for UMB support may have to be downloaded and installed; I don't think he was referring to the Sony application. Calibre would need those drivers, as well.

If, like me, you don't care about managing collections and metadata, then calibre isn't easier than just copying the files by hand. There's nothing wrong with pointing out calibre and describing how it can be more convenient that copying by hand in some cases, but saying that any other suggestion is all wrong and should be ignored is not only incorrect, it's also very rude and inconsiderate.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:43 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

But WillAdams is wrong. The only Sony Reader that needed a driver for the computer to be able to see it was the 500. There are NO drivers needed. How do I have to say this so you get it? The suggestion to download the Sony software to get drivers that you don't need is wrong.

It was the way you said post #2 is not wrong when it is wrong. I've has a 505 and I know how it works.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:21 PM   #8
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's not even partly wrong. It's exactly how I loaded books onto my 505 from a Linux desktop (for which Sony never made any software). Calibre may be nice, but it isn't necessary. All you need is to be able to mount the drives on the ereaders via UMB (USB Mass Storage), and then copy the files over to the proper subfolder (which I think was called "books", but it's been a while and I could be wrong). Just be sure to eject the drive before disconnecting the USB cable to the ereader, or you can corrupt the filesystem on the ereader.
No such folder on my PRS-505 so do I need to create it? When I plug in my USB cable to the reader I see a folder named "Database" It contains folders marked "Media" and "Cache". I have tried placing epub book files (unprotected) in all three folders (not simultaneously) and they do not show up in the book menus at all. I also tried placing them in the home area beside the Database folder and they are still invisible. Very frustrating. These files sideload fine in a Kobo. HELP!
Old 12-05-2017, 12:45 PM   #9
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

Created a folder "books" beside the database folder and put 3 epub books in it. Still not visible in the PRS-505 menu so that did not work either. Amazed that no web search I have tried has produced a simple and complete step by step set of instructions for sideloading to a Sony PRS-505 without the use of Calibre.

Just curious to try the reader as I also have readers from Kindle (almost all models) and Kobo that I can readily crossload books to and I have even found a way from a thread here to get Amazon to convert Epub books to AZW3 via the email to kindle "convert" service. This also puts them into Amazon cloud storage.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:49 PM   #10
rkomar
Wizard

I put mine into the database/media/books/ folder. That folder should already exist (along with audio/ and images/).
Old 12-05-2017, 01:41 PM   #11
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

Quote:
I put mine into the database/media/books/ folder. That folder should already exist (along with audio/ and images/).
I had to create the books folder and placed a unprotected epub book in it and still a no go. Folders in "media" did not exist after a memory format. Media folder totally empty. Unit bought used so no idea of what level the firmware is at. Just know that nothing tried has worked so far. The books home menu remains blank Tried everything noted in the below thread too. Interesting but frustrating. When hooked to USB everything looks great, like looking at a memory drive. Thanks

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44118
Old 12-05-2017, 01:54 PM   #12
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

Quote:
Maybe those folders are created by the desktop software or Calibre, neither of which I have. At the start I did a memory format and the default result did not have books, audio or images folders in the media folder. Totally empty.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:28 PM   #13
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

Dumb Me. Apparently the PRS-505 as released supported BBeB, PDF, TXT and RTF formats but NOT EPUB. The PRS-505 PDF manual crossloads and shows up in the menu. I was going by a Livewire list that indicated that Sony readers supported EPUB, but apparently NOT the PRS-505. unless a later firmware update did.

My firmware is 1.0.01.03170 and the latest per Sony is 1.1.00.18040 and the info with it indicates it adds EPUB support as well as support for SDHC memory cards greater than 4 GB.

Last edited by Richwood; 12-05-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:03 PM   #14
Richwood
Astronomy Nut

Thanks everyone. Downloaded and installed the firmware update and the reader now recognizes and shows EPUB book files. I now have 3 epub files in the folder "digital editions" in the top directory. Also the PDF PRS-505 manual in the folder "database", folder "media" and then folder "books". Both seem to work. All four books show up in the books index on the home screen. Apparently this Sony was never updated as the epub support apparently dates from July 2008 or 9+ years ago. Apparently it had little or no use so was never updated.

Last edited by Richwood; 12-06-2017 at 03:20 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:53 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The reason post #2 is all wrong is that you don't need any special driver for the 505. I know from experience as I used to own one. You just plug it into the USB port and it mounts as a removable drive.