Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-20-2018, 08:30 AM   #1
Sushicks
Sushicks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8th Gen (KT3)
Problem with downgrading KT3

So I am very new to this so go easy please.

I'm trying to downgrade the software on my Kindle 8th Gen (KT3 I think the code for it is) and everytime I put the update_KT3_5.8.0_initial.bin file to the root of my device, then eject it and go to update it, the "update your kindle" button is greyed out. When I plug it back in it looks like it deleted the file and I have to copy it over again.

Please help
Sushicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:49 AM   #2
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Which firmware version currently resides on your device?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileRead Wiki
Will this jail break work on my current firmware?

If the third field of your firmware version number: 5.8.7.0.1 is larger than 7 this jail break will not work on your device.
That means it will not work on: 5.8.8, 5.8.9, 5.8.10, ..., 5.8.99999999. (It's NOT possible at this time to downgrade and use this jailbreak)
Of course, this also means that it will not work on anything newer than the 5.8.x branch itself (i.e., 5.9.x, and whatever might come next).
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/5_x_Jailbreak
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:15 AM   #3
Sushicks

Currently on 5.9.6.1
Old 07-20-2018, 10:46 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
5.9 > 5.8, you lose.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #5
Sushicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
5.9 > 5.8, you lose.
So I cant downgrade from 5.9 to 5.8? Basically is there any way to jailbreak from the software I'm currently on?
Old 07-20-2018, 12:25 PM   #6
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushicks View Post
So I cant downgrade from 5.9 to 5.8? Basically is there any way to jailbreak from the software I'm currently on?
Serial port only at this point.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:56 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushicks View Post
The KT3 is a special exception -
If still running the firmware it arrived with from Amazon, then you could have jail broken it.
But once you have let it update (you did, even if you didn't notice it, yours did update), then the specific rules in the first post apply.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote