Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-27-2009, 01:16 AM   #136
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
I stopped by my SonyStyle store today to take a look at the new prs-600's. I brought my 505 & 700 with me to compare. In truth, I've been jonesing for the new reader since before they were released because of the dictionary support alone, and also just because they're my newest obsession and well... I really don't need any more shoes!

It's gorgeous, as they all are, it's thinner, almost as thin as the 505 but it's true what everyone says. There is a slight glare next to the 505. It is much more clear than my 700. My 700 only has great contrast when the reading lights are on. I really don't think the 700 has enough contrast, without the lights on, to read without them. However, the 600 looks like it would be fine to read in ambient lighting. I haven't seen the screen on the 500, but I'm assuming that the contrast would be close to that one. Like everyone else has mentioned, it's btwn the 505 & the 700. They didn't have the reading light book cover in yet, so I wasn't able to see how well it lit up the page or if it caused much glare.

In the end, I didn't walk out with a new reader, but did convince the salesman to buy one for himself and that he will surely love it. I told him I'd stop back next week to check out the new readers w/ the cover light. He told me he'll have a full report by then since he'll have all week to play with it.

I'm still undecided if I'll add the new reader to my collection. Either way I still think it's awesome and would love it to death if I didn't already own the other 2 sony readers. If you're undecided and don't already own one, I'd buy it. If you already own one, I'd check and it out and decide after checking it out in person.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:59 AM   #137
david83k
david83k began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ7, Sony PRS-600
I've pre-ordered my PRS-600 in silver! :-)
Now available for pre-order in the UK from 219 pounds.
But I am still undecided regarding the colour of the device.
I've already cancelled my order for the black device once.
Now my brain tries to force me to cancel the silver device.
Please help me beat my evil brain!!!
david83k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 03:09 AM   #138
dtrain
dtrain began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
I just preordered my PRS-600 as well, but I'm from Canada and its in Black! I can't wait to see what it's like. Its going to be my first e-reader of any kind so I have no idea what to expect when it comes to contrast of the screen and glare but from the screenshots I've seen I'm not too worried I think it'll work out okay. Can't wait!
dtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:41 AM   #139
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by david83k View Post
I was also torn between black and silver, but now I'm firmly on the silver fan side. To me silver looks more spacious than the black. when reading the background and silver sides blend in color, whereas the dark color sides make the page seem narrow to me.
of course this is my experience with looking at 505 at the shop between silver and blue color. no chance to see prs 600 yet.
either way I think both of them (black and silver) are nice so I'm sure you will be happy with either. For me, I'm keeping my silver pre-ordered!!
now I need to find a nice brown leather cover to match
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:37 AM   #140
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerroadie View Post
Yes, Diana is the Latin name for the Greek goddess Artemis (writing my dissertation on both )
Short answer: "Classics just rule".
Long answer: very interesting. What kind of degree are you writing your dissertation for? I studied classics (both Ancient Green and Latin, and both Culture/Literature and Language) for all my five years of high school, and the passion is still there
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 05:52 AM   #141
david83k
david83k began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ7, Sony PRS-600
I know that you were torn between black and silver.
I've read your posts and they helped a lot already :-)
*silver doesn't get too warm under direct sunlight
*silver doesn't look cheap (like plastic)
*silver makes the screen optically wider
Now, I am convinced and I am happy with my decision.
Of course, there are also many pro arguments for the black device
but please don't mention them. I don't want to change my order again :-)
I went to a shop to see the silver PRS-505 today morning. It looks great!
When do you receive your 600? I will get receive mine in mid September.
david83k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:10 AM   #142
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
It looks amazing I know I can't do without my 505, even if I already bought my 600. Wow!
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:11 AM   #143
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
In the end, I didn't walk out with a new reader, but did convince the salesman to buy one for himself and that he will surely love it. I told him I'd stop back next week to check out the new readers w/ the cover light. He told me he'll have a full report by then since he'll have all week to play with it.
and when will they hire you and fire that salesman?

Quote:
Get them both! (I know I'd want to...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:36 AM   #144
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
Short answer: "Classics just rule".
Long answer: very interesting. What kind of degree are you writing your dissertation for? I studied classics (both Ancient Green and Latin, and both Culture/Literature and Language) for all my five years of high school, and the passion is still there
I'm actually getting my degree in Biblical Studies and working on Women in 1st century Philippian Jesus community (in Macedonia at the time, northern Greece now). Artemis is a major goddess in that city, more so than most Greek cities, so I have reams of pages on her. She's central to everything I'm doing in the dissertation. I do have a Classics MA from University of Kentucky . Majored in Greek. I love Greek literature like nothing else. It's my passion.

Thanks for asking.
formerroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:56 AM   #145
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Now, I am convinced and I am happy with my decision.
Of course, there are also many pro arguments for the black device
but please don't mention them. I don't want to change my order again :-)
When do you receive your 600? I will get receive mine in mid September.
I pre-ordered with borders and it says they will ship on the 31st. I'm hoping they will send it before that date since shops have already received their stock. in short, not soon enough!!
btw, I just checked sony site and they are back to pre-order again. either they sold out very quickly or as some people mentioned here the silver and red 600's for some reason has been called back and will start shipping on monday.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:39 AM   #146
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lev View Post
I pre-ordered with borders and it says they will ship on the 31st. I'm hoping they will send it before that date since shops have already received their stock. in short, not soon enough!!
btw, I just checked sony site and they are back to pre-order again. either they sold out very quickly or as some people mentioned here the silver and red 600's for some reason has been called back and will start shipping on monday.
Sonystyle says it ships tomorrow (right away). My red shipped last night. I'm not sure what page you're looking at. Are you not in the US?
Old 08-27-2009, 08:44 AM   #147
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
I had finally decided to cave in and Sonystyle says the 600's are back to pre-order and shipping around the 31st.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:44 AM   #148
lev
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerroadie View Post
Sonystyle says it ships tomorrow (right away). My red shipped last night. I'm not sure what page you're looking at. Are you not in the US?
just checked again and for 600 it says pre-order. for 300 you can buy now.
it's sony US site..

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...0&N=4294954528
Old 08-27-2009, 09:57 AM   #149
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
*silver blends in very well with the screen and make it feel more like a piece of paper
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #150
formerroadie
Bada Bing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lev View Post
just checked again and for 600 it says pre-order. for 300 you can buy now.
it's sony US site..

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...0&N=4294954528
You are correct. They changed it recently. I don't think they can make up their minds .