Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-22-2021, 06:59 PM   #1
markpearl
Enthusiast
markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Help! Calibre no longer converts any books!

I've been using this gem for ages and ages -- even sent the author some compensation for it out of gratitude. But when I very recently upgraded from 64-bit Windows 7 to 64-bit Windows 10, the nightmare began.

Updating to Calibre 5, I found I couldn't even read many of my books let alone convert them. There was no DRM present in any of them. And yes, I also updated to Python 3 in Windows path...but still no go.

I finally reverted BACK to Calibre 4.23 with Python 2.7 in Windows 10 (after completely uninstalling version 5.x and Python 3), configured it as I always have but now can only read and EDIT my ePubs and AZW3 books...NOT convert them to another format! Any of them -- even books that I scanned myself that never contained DRM. I hope I'm not breaking any rules but here is the error message I get when trying to convert from one format to another:

Spoiler:
calibre, version 4.23.0 (win32, embedded-python: True)
Conversion error: Failed: Convert book 1 of 1 (The Reluctant Widow)
Convert book 1 of 1 (The Reluctant Widow)
Conversion options changed from defaults:
verbose: 2
page_breaks_before: u"//*[name()='h1' or name()='h2']"
chapter: u"//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., 'chapter|book|section|part|prologue|epilogue\\s+', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']"
cover: u'C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_b ueg9i\\ry8lly.jpeg'
remove_fake_margins: False
remove_paragraph_spacing_indent_size: -0.1
read_metadata_from_opf: u'C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_b ueg9i\\qn5ouc.opf'
output_profile: u'kindle'
input_profile: u'kindle'
smarten_punctuation: True
Resolved conversion options
calibre version: 4.23.0
{'asciiize': False,
'author_sort': None,
'authors': None,
'base_font_size': 0.0,
'book_producer': None,
'change_justification': u'original',
'chapter': u"//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., 'chapter|book|section|part|prologue|epilogue\\s+', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']",
'chapter_mark': u'pagebreak',
'comments': None,
'cover': u'C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_b ueg9i\\ry8lly.jpeg',
'debug_pipeline': None,
'dehyphenate': True,
'delete_blank_paragraphs': True,
'disable_font_rescaling': False,
'dont_compress': False,
'duplicate_links_in_toc': False,
'embed_all_fonts': False,
'embed_font_family': None,
'enable_heuristics': False,
'expand_css': False,
'extra_css': None,
'extract_to': None,
'filter_css': u'',
'fix_indents': True,
'font_size_mapping': None,
'format_scene_breaks': True,
'html_unwrap_factor': 0.4,
'input_encoding': None,
'input_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.KindleInput object at 0x0000019526A103C8>,
'insert_blank_line': False,
'insert_blank_line_size': 0.5,
'insert_metadata': False,
'isbn': None,
'italicize_common_cases': True,
'keep_ligatures': False,
'language': None,
'level1_toc': None,
'level2_toc': None,
'level3_toc': None,
'line_height': 0.0,
'linearize_tables': False,
'margin_bottom': 5.0,
'margin_left': 5.0,
'margin_right': 5.0,
'margin_top': 5.0,
'markup_chapter_headings': True,
'max_toc_links': 50,
'minimum_line_height': 120.0,
'mobi_toc_at_start': False,
'no_chapters_in_toc': False,
'no_inline_navbars': False,
'no_inline_toc': False,
'output_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.KindleOutput object at 0x0000019526A163C8>,
'page_breaks_before': u"//*[name()='h1' or name()='h2']",
'prefer_author_sort': False,
'prefer_metadata_cover': False,
'pretty_print': False,
'pubdate': None,
'publisher': None,
'rating': None,
'read_metadata_from_opf': u'C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_b ueg9i\\qn5ouc.opf',
'remove_fake_margins': False,
'remove_first_image': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing_indent_size': -0.1,
'renumber_headings': True,
'replace_scene_breaks': u'',
'search_replace': '[]',
'series': None,
'series_index': None,
'share_not_sync': False,
'smarten_punctuation': True,
'sr1_replace': None,
'sr1_search': None,
'sr2_replace': None,
'sr2_search': None,
'sr3_replace': None,
'sr3_search': None,
'start_reading_at': None,
'subset_embedded_fonts': False,
'tags': None,
'timestamp': None,
'title': None,
'title_sort': None,
'toc_filter': None,
'toc_threshold': 6,
'toc_title': None,
'transform_css_rules': '[]',
'unsmarten_punctuation': False,
'unwrap_lines': True,
'use_auto_toc': False,
'verbose': 2}
InputFormatPlugin: EPUB Input running
on C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_bueg9i\qi jcaj.epub
Python function terminated unexpectedly
[Error 5] Access is denied: u'C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_b ueg9i\\fd30nj_plumber' (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 114, in main
File "site.py", line 88, in run_entry_point
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 209, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 43, in gui_convert_override
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 28, in gui_convert
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plumber.py", line 1110, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 241, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\__init__.py", line 435, in __enter__
WindowsError: [Error 5] Access is denied: u'C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_b ueg9i\\fd30nj_plumber'

Can anyone please help me with this? I've been using Calibre since almost day 1 and nothing like this has happened before throughout all my Windows upgrades. I've spent sleepless nights on this issue with no luck.
markpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:19 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Check the FAQ at the main Calibre site
But I think this is an overly agressive Security suite that has blocked access to the temp folders
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2021, 07:55 PM   #3
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpearl View Post
I've been using this gem for ages and ages -- even sent the author some compensation for it out of gratitude. But when I very recently upgraded from 64-bit Windows 7 to 64-bit Windows 10, the nightmare began.

Updating to Calibre 5, I found I couldn't even read many of my books let alone convert them. There was no DRM present in any of them. And yes, I also updated to Python 3 in Windows path...but still no go.

I finally reverted BACK to Calibre 4.23 with Python 2.7 in Windows 10 (after completely uninstalling version 5.x and Python 3), configured it as I always have but now can only read and EDIT my ePubs and AZW3 books...NOT convert them to another format! Any of them -- even books that I scanned myself that never contained DRM. I hope I'm not breaking any rules but here is the error message I get when trying to convert from one format to another:

Spoiler:
Conversion error: Failed: Convert book 1 of 1 (The Reluctant Widow)
Convert book 1 of 1 (The Reluctant Widow)
page_breaks_before: u"//*[name()='h1' or name()='h2']"
chapter: u"//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., 'chapter|book|section|part|prologue|epilogue\\s+', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']"
cover: u'C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_b ueg9i\\ry8lly.jpeg'
remove_fake_margins: False
remove_paragraph_spacing_indent_size: -0.1
read_metadata_from_opf: u'C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_b ueg9i\\qn5ouc.opf'
output_profile: u'kindle'
input_profile: u'kindle'
smarten_punctuation: True
'chapter': u"//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., 'chapter|book|section|part|prologue|epilogue\\s+', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']",
'cover': u'C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_b ueg9i\\ry8lly.jpeg',
'filter_css': u'',
'input_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.KindleInput object at 0x0000019526A103C8>,
'output_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.KindleOutput object at 0x0000019526A163C8>,
'page_breaks_before': u"//*[name()='h1' or name()='h2']",
'prefer_metadata_cover': False,
'read_metadata_from_opf': u'C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_b ueg9i\\qn5ouc.opf',
'remove_fake_margins': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing_indent_size': -0.1,
'smarten_punctuation': True,
on C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_bueg9i\qi jcaj.epub
[Error 5] Access is denied: u'C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_b ueg9i\\fd30nj_plumber' (Error Code: 1)
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 43, in gui_convert_override
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 28, in gui_convert
WindowsError: [Error 5] Access is denied: u'C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_b ueg9i\\fd30nj_plumber'

Can anyone please help me with this? I've been using Calibre since almost day 1 and nothing like this has happened before throughout all my Windows upgrades. I've spent sleepless nights on this issue with no luck.

Error 5: Access is denied is primarily a software installation error message.

Consequently, when this error message pops up, users can’t install certain software. The cause is usually account permissions.

https://windowsreport.com/error-5-access-is-denied-fix/

See the section labeled:
How can I fix Error 5: Access is denied on Windows 10?

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:25 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
There is no need to install python; calibre uses its own embedded python environment
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:06 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...n-denied-error

from the error message its an access denied to calibre's own temporary folder. The usual culprit in these cases is an antivirus. DIsable/uninstall it nad you will be fine.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2021, 07:42 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If it is your antivirus software causing the problem, uninstall it and use Windows Defender instead. I've never had Windows Defender cause a problem with Calibre.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:23 PM   #7
markpearl
Enthusiast
markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markpearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...n-denied-error

from the error message its an access denied to calibre's own temporary folder. The usual culprit in these cases is an antivirus. DIsable/uninstall it nad you will be fine.
Thank you for taking the time to respond, Kovid and other Mobilereaders, but after disabling my antiivirus (Eset Security Suite) the issue still persists. What's so maddening is that I can edit my ePub & AZW3 ebooks in Calibre and save the edits -- so it's not a DRM issue -- but cannot convert to other formats. I even installed the portable Calibre from your website and created a directory on an external hard drive with some ebooks in it to see if that made a difference. It didn't. I can only install and uninstall so many times before my head explodes.

I can't even find the Calibre temporary folder in Windows -- even after cutting & pasting the path in the last line of the error message. For the record, here's another of these frustrating messages I get a few seconds into these aborted conversions:

Spoiler:
Conversion error: Failed: Convert book 1 of 1 (Edith Wharton)

Convert book 1 of 1 (Edith Wharton)
cover: u'C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_7 9a3rb\\e73mcv.jpeg'
output_profile: u'kindle_oasis'
prefer_metadata_cover: True
filter_css: u',font-family'
read_metadata_from_opf: u'C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_7 9a3rb\\qnag39.opf'
'chapter': u"//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., '\\s*((chapter|book|section|part)\\s+)|((prolog|pr ologue|epilogue)(\\s+|$))', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']",
'cover': u'C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_7 9a3rb\\e73mcv.jpeg',
'filter_css': u',font-family',
'input_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.InputProfile object at 0x00000279634CF0C8>,
'output_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.KindleOasisOutput object at 0x00000279634D9788>,
'page_breaks_before': u'/',
'prefer_metadata_cover': True,
'read_metadata_from_opf': u'C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_7 9a3rb\\qnag39.opf',
'remove_fake_margins': True,
'remove_paragraph_spacing_indent_size': 1.5,
'smarten_punctuation': False,
on C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_79a3rb\tl acec.epub
[Error 5] Access is denied: u'C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_7 9a3rb\\pdjeu6_plumber' (Error Code: 1)
WindowsError: [Error 5] Access is denied: u'C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_7 9a3rb\\pdjeu6_plumber'

I guess I'm resigned to using my old laptop with windows 7 and calibre 4.23 until I can find and correct the problem.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:47 PM   #8
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpearl View Post
Thank you for taking the time to respond, Kovid and other Mobilereaders, but after disabling my antiivirus (Eset Security Suite) the issue still persists. What's so maddening is that I can edit my ePub & AZW3 ebooks in Calibre and save the edits -- so it's not a DRM issue -- but cannot convert to other formats. I even installed the portable Calibre from your website and created a directory on an external hard drive with some ebooks in it to see if that made a difference. It didn't. I can only install and uninstall so many times before my head explodes.

I can't even find the Calibre temporary folder in Windows -- even after cutting & pasting the path in the last line of the error message. For the record, here's another of these frustrating messages I get a few seconds into these aborted conversions:

Spoiler:
Conversion error: Failed: Convert book 1 of 1 (Edith Wharton)

Convert book 1 of 1 (Edith Wharton)
cover: u'C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_7 9a3rb\\e73mcv.jpeg'
output_profile: u'kindle_oasis'
prefer_metadata_cover: True
filter_css: u',font-family'
read_metadata_from_opf: u'C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_7 9a3rb\\qnag39.opf'
'chapter': u"//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., '\\s*((chapter|book|section|part)\\s+)|((prolog|pr ologue|epilogue)(\\s+|$))', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']",
'cover': u'C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_7 9a3rb\\e73mcv.jpeg',
'filter_css': u',font-family',
'input_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.InputProfile object at 0x00000279634CF0C8>,
'output_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.KindleOasisOutput object at 0x00000279634D9788>,
'page_breaks_before': u'/',
'prefer_metadata_cover': True,
'read_metadata_from_opf': u'C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_7 9a3rb\\qnag39.opf',
'remove_fake_margins': True,
'remove_paragraph_spacing_indent_size': 1.5,
'smarten_punctuation': False,
on C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_79a3rb\tl acec.epub
[Error 5] Access is denied: u'C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_7 9a3rb\\pdjeu6_plumber' (Error Code: 1)
WindowsError: [Error 5] Access is denied: u'C:\\Users\\user\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_7 9a3rb\\pdjeu6_plumber'

I guess I'm resigned to using my old laptop with windows 7 and calibre 4.23 until I can find and correct the problem.
I was able to reproduce your problem.
Spoiler:
Code:
calibre, version 5.10.1
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>PermissionError</b>:[WinError 5] Access is denied: 'C:\\Users\\sadie\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_ayuypwhy'

calibre 5.10.1 [64bit]  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.18362 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.18362')
Python 3.8.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.18362', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: 
  File "calibre\gui2\convert\single.py", line 289, in accept
  File "calibre\gui2\convert\metadata.py", line 282, in commit
  File "calibre\gui2\convert\metadata.py", line 35, in create_opf_file
  File "calibre\ptempfile.py", line 172, in __init__
  File "calibre\ptempfile.py", line 123, in base_dir
  File "tempfile.py", line 359, in mkdtemp
PermissionError: [WinError 5] Access is denied: 'C:\\Users\\sadie\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_ayuypwhy'

You need to open the file manager and open:
Code:
C:\Users\user\AppData\Local
Right click on Temp
Click on Properties
Click on Security
Click on edit
Highlight user
in the permissions for user remove the check under Deny
click apply
click continue on all error messages

You are done

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:10 PM   #9
markpearl
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
I was able to reproduce your problem.
Spoiler:
Code:
calibre, version 5.10.1
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>PermissionError</b>:[WinError 5] Access is denied: 'C:\\Users\\sadie\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_ayuypwhy'

calibre 5.10.1 [64bit]  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.18362 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.18362')
Python 3.8.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.18362', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: 
  File "calibre\gui2\convert\single.py", line 289, in accept
  File "calibre\gui2\convert\metadata.py", line 282, in commit
  File "calibre\gui2\convert\metadata.py", line 35, in create_opf_file
  File "calibre\ptempfile.py", line 172, in __init__
  File "calibre\ptempfile.py", line 123, in base_dir
  File "tempfile.py", line 359, in mkdtemp
PermissionError: [WinError 5] Access is denied: 'C:\\Users\\sadie\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_ayuypwhy'

You need to open the file manager and open:
Code:
C:\Users\user\AppData\Local
Right click on Temp
Click on Properties
Click on Security
Click on edit
Highlight user
in the permissions for user remove the check under Deny
click apply
click continue on all error messages

You are done

bernie
Bernie, I can't thank you enough! I'd give you my first born but he's 30 years old...lol. I don't know how the heck the permissions changed when I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10.

The only difference in my setup is that there are two permissions -- "Everyone" and "Administrators" -- the 'allows' were all checked for Admin but only the first two for Everyone (no 'deny' anywhere) so I ticked 'allow' in the rest of the boxes, clicked through the error messages (all regarding Python) and closed it out. Calibre now converts for me...you're a prince!

Only question I have is do I upgrade safely to Calibre 5.x now or leave well enough alone and stick with 4.23? I'm inclined to leave it for now and enjoy the program as I have for the past decade.

Best regards!