Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-30-2021, 06:47 AM   #1
MrGhostWriter
MrGhostWriter began at the beginning.

Device: note pro
NotePro shuts off after it's disconnected from power

Hi all!
I currently have the NotePro running v3.0 and I bought it about a year and half ago.
I noticed now that I'm using it more on the go ,that if leave it 30 min without a charger connected it just freezes (and turns off I assume) even though it has 100% battery
Is it this likely a software issue or my battery died out and needs replacing? (Not sure how it was before v3.0 because I very rarely disconnected it from power)
MrGhostWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:02 AM   #2
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Could you check whether it turns off and you have to reboot later or it goes to standby.
Check /Settings/Power management. "30 min" does look like set value there.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2021, 09:22 AM   #3
MrGhostWriter

Hey!
So I set everything to 'Never' and it lasted about 1 hour and 20 min before it froze and turned off (but I could still see the screen I was working on).
When I plugged it back in it rebooted and now it says its battery level is at 79%
Old 01-31-2021, 05:59 AM   #4
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
@MrGhostWriter My NotePro doesn't go from 100% to 79% in 1h20m. It goes to 80% after a day of reading. So it seems that the system is working okay, but your battery needs to be replaced.

Do you still have warranty? Does the battery fall under Onyx warranty?

I haven't replaced my battery, yet: My NotePro is still going strong after 8 months of use. However, at some date I will as I have replaced most batteries of most of my mobile devices. So if you can't get it replaced under warranty, try searching this forum for people posting about replacing the battery or about opening the Onyx NotePro. If you can get a clear photo of the info on the battery, I'll try and help whether I can find where you can buy a replacement.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:06 PM   #5
james_
Connoisseur
james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note2, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & Forma
One tool I find very useful is to run the Accubattery app. It will tend to dissappear from the list of running tasks because Onyx is very aggressive at removing anything that is not a system app, BUT if you can make a point of starting it when you fire up your device it will eventually give you a battery health number (as a percentage), which may give you some idea if your battery is knackered. It probably is, based on what you've said. These devices are designed it seems to fail in the power department! Like Markismus I've added/changed batteries on Kindle and Kobo devices and its been fairly easy so far.

Best bet IMHO is to replace your device with a new one when Onyx are in an upgrade cycle, roughly every six months. This means they will be flogging brand new 'last year' models for much less money. There is virtually no difference in everyday performance with anything from a Note Pro up to a Note3. Better to trade up before your device blows up, just don't buy the latest device in the lineup, get the one that Onyx are trying to clear out of their warehouses.... and there is a ready market for people who don't want to spend a lot of money on a big screen eReader new, but who are prepared to buy one secondhand that may be end of life.
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2021, 07:53 AM   #6
MrGhostWriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
@MrGhostWriter My NotePro doesn't go from 100% to 79% in 1h20m. It goes to 80% after a day of reading. So it seems that the system is working okay, but your battery needs to be replaced.

Do you still have warranty? Does the battery fall under Onyx warranty?

I haven't replaced my battery, yet: My NotePro is still going strong after 8 months of use. However, at some date I will as I have replaced most batteries of most of my mobile devices. So if you can't get it replaced under warranty, try searching this forum for people posting about replacing the battery or about opening the Onyx NotePro. If you can get a clear photo of the info on the battery, I'll try and help whether I can find where you can buy a replacement.
Hey, that would be really great if you can point me in the right direction in getting a replacement battery! my device is indeed out of warranty. Do I have to take the battery out of the device in order to get the info on it?
Old 02-28-2021, 07:58 AM   #7
MrGhostWriter

Doesn't matter, just found this link https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=335801
thanks everybody for your help!
Old 02-28-2021, 10:26 AM   #8
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Yes. However, buying a perfect same identity battery is a rather unique experience for me. You'll just have to work with what's available. So just buy the biggest that will fit and connect.

So most importantly: You have to know the physical dimensions of the space available. The code on the batteries from ALiExpress are just that: E.g. 602030 is 6.0mm thickness with a width x height of 20mm x 30mm. (The capacity is almost a constant times the volume of the battery.)

So you can get away with a smaller battery, but not with a bigger one.

Second thing to really pay attention to is the connection of the battery.

Does it have a small balance board, a PCB with some protection against overcharging or -discharging or is that function done on the device. Nowadays, I never see a battery directly connected to a device anymore, so expect the battery to have a PCB inside the tape of the battery.

Third and last is the connector. It has to fit to the device. If you can solder your connections, it doesn't matter, because you can resolder de connector from the depleted battery to your new one. Otherwise, you'll have to buy an identical one: Make sure of either your skills or your connector!

I usually end up buying batteries from 2 different suppliers, because the shipping time varies greatly. Some have it with you in a week, others take 6-8 weeks. So look at the estimated supply time. Although I mentioned one supplier, you can of course get them anywhere, that's convenient. Personally, I am in great favor of ripping them out of obsolete gadgets.

Last edited by Markismus; 02-28-2021 at 10:32 AM.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, notepro, power issue, v3.0