Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Exclamation [K3] Just another bricked kindle 3.....

I bricked my kindle by messing around with the binary linuxrc in / . I have a custom kernel from this forum, but I currently don't have access to a computer right now. I've read through Fastboot Manifesto but it took me a while to figure out that the k3 doesn't have fastboot.(does ATK exist for linux?) The kindle loops through the loading bar with the tree and boy several times and then I get your kindle needs repair with framework down in the lower right corner. So far, I am assuming that I have broken the framework because right after kite and launchpad start, it cycles again. I do have brief access to matan's version of myts.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
I bricked my kindle by messing around with the binary linuxrc in / . I have a custom kernel from this forum, but I currently don't have access to a computer right now. I've read through Fastboot Manifesto but it took me a while to figure out that the k3 doesn't have fastboot.(does ATK exist for linux?) The kindle loops through the loading bar with the tree and boy several times and then I get your kindle needs repair with framework down in the lower right corner. So far, I am assuming that I have broken the framework because right after kite and launchpad start, it cycles again. I do have brief access to matan's version of myts.
Have you restored your linuxrc to its original content yet?

Which "custom kernel from the forum"?
Is this the kernel that is running when the described problems occur?

Do you have a connector and adapter for the 1.8v console serial port?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Watch seaniko7's K3 debricking video that I have embedded in multiple posts INCLUDING one of yours for this same problem? Why are you posting this to a new thread after already posting it to other threads (that already got ANSWERED by multiple people)???
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No i wasnt using the custom kernel. I don't have any adapters/connectors for the serial port. I'm not sure how to restore the linuxrc. I have never posted about this problem anywhere else and you(geekmaster) have never (as far as i know) posted this in any of the threaads i have posted in.

as for the video, i will go and watch it now.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
hard to believe it would boot with a broken /linuxrc. So whatever you did, I think the mistake you made was in another part.

This doesn't help you much, though.

Note that running ATK won't help you until you figure out how to use it for flashing or booting custom images from RAM (and feed them to the Kindle). Nobody went there, I think. The tested way out of it is using the serial connection (that should be what the video is about). *If* you are running a rescue kernel you might be able to use USB, too. But that kernel would have to be already installed. If you downloaded it after messing up the Kindle there's no option to install it now.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
qlob
Official Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
hard to believe it would boot with a broken /linuxrc. So whatever you did, I think the mistake you made was in another part.
This doesn't help you much, though.
Note that running ATK won't help you until you figure out how to use it for flashing or booting custom images from RAM (and feed them to the Kindle). Nobody went there, I think. The tested way out of it is using the serial connection (that should be what the video is about). *If* you are running a rescue kernel you might be able to use USB, too. But that kernel would have to be already installed. If you downloaded it after messing up the Kindle there's no option to install it now.
seaniko7's custom kernel was already installed. All i did to brick it was do
Code:
cd /
./linuxrc 0
then it restarted the framework and got to right where launchpad and kite started, then tried it agian but with no progress this time, then it dropped to a full device restart then cycled thorugh the abovementioned loading cycle unil i got the your kindle needs repair screen.
Sorry if i have not been precise, i have been very busy lately. i will try to get access to a computer later this evening..
I also apologize to geekmaster for being kind of a jerk in my earlier post about the whole "ive never posted about this" thing. I wasn't very happy being mistaken for someone else but i realize it must have a mistake. if i did post elsewhere, pleas direct me to it as i did not do that...
Old 05-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #7
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No i wasnt using the custom kernel. I don't have any adapters/connectors for the serial port. I'm not sure how to restore the linuxrc. I have never posted about this problem anywhere else and you(geekmaster) have never (as far as i know) posted this in any of the threaads i have posted in.

as for the video, i will go and watch it now.
Sorry, I get SO MANY requests and yours is virtually identical to another recent K3 request. I probably confused you with somebody else...
Old 05-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
geekmaster

Quote:
I also apologize to geekmaster for being kind of a jerk in my earlier post about the whole "ive never posted about this" thing. I wasn't very happy being mistaken for someone else but i realize it must have a mistake. if i did post elsewhere, pleas direct me to it as i did not do that...
No harm done. I get irritated sometimes too, and I often have to go back and "soften" my posts. A mallet is not an effective teaching tool when in comes to solving computer problems.

EDIT: I have been getting MANY PMs from noobs that did really dumb things to their kindles (including K3) recently, and I mostly refer them to seaniko7's video (in addition to trying to provide other links and useful information), but it is getting harder all the time to not get irritated by these requests (especially the cross posting to multiple threads and starting new threads, plus all the PMs from the same people). Poor behavior, at best...

It seems people are even flashing firmware for the wrong kindle model now, despite models clearly posted with the firmware download links. People really should pay more attention to the descriptions provided with download links...

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-03-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #9
qlob
Official Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Sorry, I get SO MANY requests and yours is virtually identical to another recent K3 request. I probably confused you with somebody else...
no problem. How would one restore linuxrc to its previous state?
EDIT: yeah i saw some of the cross postings looking through the kindle touch threads. Someone should create a sticky for debricking.....

Last edited by qlob; 05-03-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: edit
Old 05-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #10
qlob
Official Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
No harm done. I get irritated sometimes too, and I often have to go back and "soften" my posts. A mallet is not an effective teaching tool when in comes to solving computer problems.
so true. thank heaven i don't keep mallets near my kindle.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
seaniko7's custom kernel was already installed. All i did to brick it was do
Code:
cd /
./linuxrc 0
OK, understood now -
"messing with /linuxrc" means "using" not "changing the content of"

The key to what happened to your brick can probably be found in the /etc/init.d/kernel_toggle script.

My guess:
That: "set next boot to autoselect kernel" may not be playing well with the custom kernel.

For others who stumble into this thread:

/linuxrc -> /sbin/init
/sbin/init -> /sbin/init.sysvinit
(Not exactly an FHS setup - but that is what it is on the K3, v-3.2.1)

/sbin/init.sysvinit 0
(or, if the executables had their common names/functions: /sbin/init 0)

I admit it, you have me on two counts with that one:
1 - What was the expected (or intended) result; a system shutdown?
2 - What actually happened - since this may well be a modified 'standard' utility.

Background:
/sbin/init -
A special program that runs with the PID of #1 (always) that is the parent of all other processes. (The kernel only runs ONE program, this is it. This program is what runs the dozens to thousands of other processes).

The sysv version of /sbin/init is also responsible for controlling the current runlevel of the system.

The 'normal' way to change run levels is to use a program named /sbin/telinit - which in the sysv version is a link to /sbin/init

So my guess is that you where trying to change your Kindle to runlevel 0 (the runlevel reserved for 'halt').

Looking at /etc/inittab (in K3, v3.2.1) runlevel 0 is defined as: /etc/init.d/rc 0

Which translates to running (in order) all of the scripts in /etc/rc0.d

You can list those, they will run in sorted order, from:
K04framework (the first thing to kill)
through:
K99syslog-ng (the last thing to kill)
followed by (starting):
S50kernel_toggle
S95poweroff

Each of those are links to the actual scripts in ../init.d of the same name (minus the K/S## ordering characters).
With the Amazon/Kindle exception of: poweroff -> ../init.d/halt

Each of the K## scripts will be called with the option: 'stop'
Each of the S## scripts will be called with the option: 'start'

So the end result (seen in /etc/init.d/halt script) of :
./linuxrc 0
__should__ have been a clean shutdown and power off.

Last edited by knc1; 05-03-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
qlob
Official Lurker

So, theoretically, all i need to do i look at the rc* scripts and figure out which one to run? or do i also need to uninstall the custom kernel as well (if there is an uninstaller...)
Old 05-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #13
qlob
Official Lurker

If i hadn't installed the custom kernel, then it would have just resulted in a shutdown? hrmmmmm..... i can only use myts for about 30 seconds, so this should be fun to see how many scripts i can get through in a single cycle of repeating boots....
Old 05-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
If i hadn't installed the custom kernel, then it would have just resulted in a shutdown? hrmmmmm..... i can only use myts for about 30 seconds, so this should be fun to see how many scripts i can get through in a single cycle of repeating boots....
I do not know the purpose of that "auto selection" of a "primary" kernel on the next boot.

Your machine __probably__ did do a clean shutdown, but when it was next booted - that "flag file" + the custom kernel did not work.

Not being familar with this situation - all I can think of is to break out of whatever is happening.
If there is an "uninstall" for the custom kernel - maybe try getting rid of it.

Note in /etc/inittab that the default runlevel is 2

Read through /etc/rc2.d/* links to ../init.d/* to find out how that "flag file" is being used.

Maybe PM the author of that custom kernel, ask the author for advice.

Hmm...
I have been assuming that you have an off-Kindle copy of the file system to look through.
If not - then maybe someone can give you a link to where to get a copy.
Copies are not directly available at this web-site, but members here can PM you where to get a copy.

Last edited by knc1; 05-03-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #15
qlob
Official Lurker

I have PM'd seaniko7. and am wwaiting for a reply, meanwhile using
Code:
/linuxrc 1
# and
/linuxrc 2
only still boots (with the autoselection, im guessing) to the Repair Needed screen.
So now, i will attempt to find a k3 image to peruse...

Tags
bricked, kindle keyboard