Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-31-2021, 10:18 AM   #1
vriquelme
vriquelme began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx boox nova 3
Battery drain new Nova 3

I recently bought an Onyx Nova 3 tablet. I am surprised by the low battery duration. A full charge has never lasted more than 2 days (wifi off, lights moderately on), mostly for reading epub and pdf files. What surprised me was the sleep mode seemed to not stop the energy draining. It also drained energy when powered off.

I recently measured the discharge rate of the tablet in sleep mode, with wifi off, lights off, ungoogled. The device was fully charged, and I took measurements of the battery status at several moments since it was turned on. The device was always in sleep mode, only waking it up to register the battery status and the time.

I found that the device, only in sleep mode, was draining at a rate of 1% each 38 minutes, and the full charge lasted no more than 63 hours (for those interested, the results of the measurement can be found in the following link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing )

Do you know if this is the normal behavior for a device whose battery is supposed to last for days in use? Has anyone else experienced something like this?
vriquelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:02 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vriquelme View Post
I recently bought an Onyx Nova 3 tablet. I am surprised by the low battery duration. A full charge has never lasted more than 2 days (wifi off, lights moderately on), mostly for reading epub and pdf files. What surprised me was the sleep mode seemed to not stop the energy draining. It also drained energy when powered off.

I recently measured the discharge rate of the tablet in sleep mode, with wifi off, lights off, ungoogled. The device was fully charged, and I took measurements of the battery status at several moments since it was turned on. The device was always in sleep mode, only waking it up to register the battery status and the time.

I found that the device, only in sleep mode, was draining at a rate of 1% each 38 minutes, and the full charge lasted no more than 63 hours (for those interested, the results of the measurement can be found in the following link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing )

Do you know if this is the normal behavior for a device whose battery is supposed to last for days in use? Has anyone else experienced something like this?
There is something wrong.
I have not measured my Nova 2, but it certainly lasts longer
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 12:06 PM   #3
dnastase
Addict
dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NG,NSTG,NST,AuraHD,OnyxT68,Lynx, BoyueT62,NGP,Aura1,Oasis,Mars
I have the Nova 3 Color and I'm amazed of how long the battery life is !
Basically when I don't use it it doesn't consume anything ! (and it doesn't shutdown, it's just in standby).
And when I use it it seems to last longer than I anticipated considering I have to have the backlight at 50% while reading.
All in all I'm pretty amazed of the battery life.
For example: last time I charged it was on Fri, and today (Wed) it still has 32% and I used it a fair amount every day: reading books, news, taking notes, etc.

So I'm thinking that maybe you have an app that consumes battery ? does Android report anything wrt that ?
Are you at the latest firmware version ?
dnastase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 12:33 PM   #4
vriquelme

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnastase View Post
I have the Nova 3 Color and I'm amazed of how long the battery life is !
Basically when I don't use it it doesn't consume anything ! (and it doesn't shutdown, it's just in standby).
And when I use it it seems to last longer than I anticipated considering I have to have the backlight at 50% while reading.
All in all I'm pretty amazed of the battery life.
For example: last time I charged it was on Fri, and today (Wed) it still has 32% and I used it a fair amount every day: reading books, news, taking notes, etc.

So I'm thinking that maybe you have an app that consumes battery ? does Android report anything wrt that ?
Are you at the latest firmware version ?
Thanks for your answer. The first thing I did was to upgrade firmware (2021-03-17_18-06_3.1_ad716f8). I had the dropbox account linked. The WiFi is mostly turned off. I had installed word, excel, dropbox, koreader, and now I just uninstalled word, excel, and dropbox, and unbound the dropbox account.

I do not know how to display battery usage by application in the Nova 3. Do you have any suggestions on who to display this info?
Old 03-31-2021, 12:50 PM   #5
dnastase
Addict
dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

See Settings/Power/Battery Status.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:44 PM   #6
vriquelme

All I get is "Apps are running normally". It does not show me any stats on app battery consumption. Neither does Settings/Applications/Application Info

Last edited by vriquelme; 03-31-2021 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Couldn't upload image
Old 03-31-2021, 02:54 PM   #7
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Which applications are running and not finished?
Old 03-31-2021, 03:35 PM   #8
vriquelme

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Which applications are running and not finished?
I am not quite sure. When I did the test, I just fully charged the tablet (turned off), then powered it on, and took measurements (that is the only thing I woke the device for, and each time, for just a few seconds). My guess is that there would have been none.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:41 PM   #9
dnastase
Addict

Maybe if the tablet's built-in battery monitor doesn't warn properly it's worth installing something similar from the Play store.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:58 PM   #10
vriquelme

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnastase View Post
Maybe if the tablet's built-in battery monitor doesn't warn properly it's worth installing something similar from the Play store.
Thanks for your suggestion. I will try to install one from the Play Store. I tend to think that it may be a faulty battery, but I am not sure.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:46 PM   #11
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
I am not quite sure. When I did the test, I just fully charged the tablet (turned off), then powered it on, and took measurements (that is the only thing I woke the device for, and each time, for just a few seconds). My guess is that there would have been none.
Have you looked in the multitasking switch to see which applications are running?
I have now measured 12 hours in my Nova 2: Loss in 12 hours = 4% with WiFi On.

However, a defective book might prevent the device from going into sleep mode - this could explain this consumption.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 04-01-2021 at 12:09 AM.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:19 PM   #12
vriquelme

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Have you looked in the multitasking switch to see which applications are running?
I have now measured 12 hours in my Nova 2: Loss in 12 hours = 4% with WiFi On.

However, a defective book might prevent the device from going into sleep mode - this could explain this consumption.
Thanks for your suggestion. I installed Accubattery. It says that everything is normal, and that:

.- the estimated battery capacity is (circa) 4100 mAh
.- Neo reader, AccuBattery, Settings, and Content Browser have been using most of the battery
.- The estimated full battery time will be 13h with screen on, 22h with screen off, 17h combined use

(small summary here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xy4oac8k62...71056.mp4?dl=0 )

I did a factory reset, and I still have the same battery draining.

I am not sure if it is a faulty device, faulty battery, faulty system, bad luck, or what, but I am just growing tired of this device.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:42 PM   #13
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Neo reader, AccuBattery,
Uninstall AccuBattery - I tried and it shows nonsense.
Check your books - at least one of them prevents the NeoReader from going to sleep and if it works, it needs power.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:49 PM   #14
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
My Onyx (a nova generation 1) can be switched between power saving mode and normal mode. power saving mode shuts down background processes. the power saving / normal mode is a battery icon that show when you click the top of the screen in the home screen.

edit: kind of related. if you go to the apps page, there is an snowflake icon in top right that allows you to freeze processes.

edit: if you go to power settings and click battery status it shows what is using power. The biggest for me is table idle at 11% and android os at 5%

Last edited by Pajamaman; 04-01-2021 at 04:00 PM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:02 PM   #15
baljo
Connoisseur
baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Sony Reader PRS-650, GoodEReader 13.3", Onyx Boox Max2
Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion. I installed Accubattery. It says that everything is normal, and that:

.- the estimated battery capacity is (circa) 4100 mAh
.- Neo reader, AccuBattery, Settings, and Content Browser have been using most of the battery
.- The estimated full battery time will be 13h with screen on, 22h with screen off, 17h combined use

(small summary here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xy4oac8k62...71056.mp4?dl=0 )

I did a factory reset, and I still have the same battery draining.

I am not sure if it is a faulty device, faulty battery, faulty system, bad luck, or what, but I am just growing tired of this device.
If you happen to have a USB-C cable or magnetic plug attached when the device is not being recharged, you might want to pull it out to check if it helps. In my case with a Poke 2 Color, a cable cannot be attached while not charging, see my experience here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=338139
baljo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery drain, new device, nova 3