Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-24-2020, 08:41 PM   #1186
Sonicchild86
Sonicchild86 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 4 NoTouch Silver (K4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The usual answer is to dig-up an old PS/2 keyboard (... and a computer with a PS/2 port ).

Barring that, an old, dumb USB keyboard, not a fancy thing that happens to break the HID protocol nine ways to Sunday.
Thanks all! I managed to do that and I am now stuck on the connecting my kindle part argh! So I hold the power button as instructed until the light goes off, I then continue to pretty the power button whilst also now holding the down button. I then release the power button and then the down button... but it doesn’t put it in USB downloader mode, the screen stays stuck on what it was on when I bricked it. When I try to power it on in general no light comes on, but it charges (orange light shows). I’ve had it on charge since last night so is there anything else I can do or is it a lost cause?

Thanks,

Ellie
Sonicchild86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:37 PM   #1187
kmc76
kmc76 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3), Nook Color, Kids' Kindle
I'm trying to use Kubrick with a Kindle Touch, and I'm encountering the "No Java" error when starting up.

What's odd is that I used it somewhat successfully less than three months ago with a Kindle Keyboard. ("Somewhat" because Kubrick would run, but I could never get the K3 into the USB Downloader mode.) I don't know for sure that I'm using the same USB drive, but I'm using the same kind of USB drive (8 GB Sandisk drives that date back to the mid 2000s), the same desktop (Dell Inspiron 660s), and the same usb-base-img. I had used the K3 image, so I've obviously had to change that, but neither the K4/5 nor the K3/4/5 images work. They both give the same error.

Any suggestions would be welcome. I've tried burning discs and different computers with no luck, but the lack of success in nearly the same environment is really puzzling to me.

Thanks for the help!
kmc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 10:29 AM   #1188
kmc76
kmc76 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3), Nook Color, Kids' Kindle
I couldn't find a way to edit the previous post, so I'm stuck making a second one.

I was trying again with Kubrick, this time with a flash drive I made using Rufus instead of Win32DI. The same error came up. But it was late, and I was not paying attention. So instead of "POWEROFF" I typed "EXIT" and lo and behold Kubrick started, and I successfully unbricked the KT.

As always, try this at your own risk. But it worked for me.
kmc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:38 PM   #1189
Hexenwahn
Hexenwahn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Java missing files/autostart.sh/poweroff

Hey,

Has anyone managed to get past the java missing files/autostart.sh issue?

I'm booting from a USB stick and tried to do the steps in autostart.sh but I'm getting nowhere...I must be doing something wrong.
Hexenwahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:55 AM   #1190
Osorkonius
Osorkonius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexenwahn View Post
Hey,

I'm booting from a USB stick and tried to do the steps in autostart.sh but I'm getting nowhere...I must be doing something wrong.
Hello, I'm having the same problem. Any idea how to fix this issue?
Osorkonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:13 PM   #1191
ttcfcl
ttcfcl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 & DXG
I had the same issue with the "java" errors. However I followed kmc76's advice and just typed "EXIT" at the prompt with the error, and Kubrik initialized itself. I have a K3W that was stuck on 3.4.1 and wouldn't take 3.4.2. The flash said it succeeded but the Kindle wasn't responsive. Turns out it was just low on battery (even though I started the flash with a full battery). Left it on the charger for 10 mins and it woke up, successfully on 3.4 now. Will try updating after the battery charges up.
ttcfcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:10 PM   #1192
Osorkonius
Osorkonius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcfcl View Post
I had the same issue with the "java" errors. However I followed kmc76's advice and just typed "EXIT" at the prompt with the error, and Kubrik initialized itself. I have a K3W that was stuck on 3.4.1 and wouldn't take 3.4.2. The flash said it succeeded but the Kindle wasn't responsive. Turns out it was just low on battery (even though I started the flash with a full battery). Left it on the charger for 10 mins and it woke up, successfully on 3.4 now. Will try updating after the battery charges up.
I’m trying to follow your solution, but it doesn’t register my keyboard input. Have you done it with a PS/2 keyboard?

Is there any method to do it with a USB one? I really have no access to anything with a PS/2 plug right now
Osorkonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:26 PM   #1193
SapperOx
SapperOx began at the beginning.

Device: K4 No-Touch
No diagnostics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicchild86 View Post
Thanks all! I managed to do that and I am now stuck on the connecting my kindle part argh! So I hold the power button as instructed until the light goes off, I then continue to pretty the power button whilst also now holding the down button. I then release the power button and then the down button... but it doesn’t put it in USB downloader mode, the screen stays stuck on what it was on when I bricked it. When I try to power it on in general no light comes on, but it charges (orange light shows). I’ve had it on charge since last night so is there anything else I can do or is it a lost cause?

Thanks,

Ellie
I'm having the same issue. Can get to where the diagnostic flash "completes" and the K4 reboots, but it just returns to the USB drive mode . I've tried several times with no luck, appears that the diagnostic flash never takes! Did you ever figure out your issue?
SapperOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:27 AM   #1194
Sonicchild86
Sonicchild86 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 4 NoTouch Silver (K4)
Kubrick unbricking a Kindle 4 No Touch Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapperOx View Post
I'm having the same issue. Can get to where the diagnostic flash "completes" and the K4 reboots, but it just returns to the USB drive mode . I've tried several times with no luck, appears that the diagnostic flash never takes! Did you ever figure out your issue?
Unfortunately not , I never could get it off that screen... matter of fact its still stuck on that screen, I ended up buying the latest one in the end so at least something good came out of it... just very frustrating at the time as I'd only just started to use it... but seen as it only cost £5 at a car boot sale, not the end of the world. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Ellie
Sonicchild86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:44 PM   #1195
lachlan383
lachlan383 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Silver
Hi All, first of all, thanks to ixtab, this image saved my bricked Kindle 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexenwahn View Post
Hey,

I think I had the same issue as mentioned above. I'm using a Windows 10 x64 PC. I installed the USB image and tried to boot (it failed in UEFI mode with the message throwing shade at Apple, but changing to "legacy boot" mode in my BIOS allowed me to boot). Then I got into Grub and into Kubrick, but I got the message saying that it couldn't find the files on my USB, then the errors about Java and told me to have a look in autostart.sh.

The USB drive was definitely imaged correctly, and stepping through the steps in autostart.sh there didn't seem to be anything obvious - it correctly found the FAT32 partition (sdd1) with the marker file and boot image, so I have no idea why autostart.sh didn't work. I fiddled with this shell script for hours but can't figure out where the issue is, because running each command manually works correctly. In the end I gave up and rebooted into the USB image again, it failed again, this time I just entered:

Code:
$ sh autostart.sh
to re-run the script, and, it just worked. I repeated it a few times with the same result. I have no idea why, and I've spent quite a while trying to debug. My only guess is maybe autostart.sh runs before the filesystem on the USB flash drive has been recognised, so it misses the FAT32 partition on startup, but then sees it when run the second time.

As an aside, I bricked my kindle trying to set custom font sizes (I really want something between 21 and 25). It's a jailbroken Kindle 4 silver running FW 4.1.1. I've tried various things - using the kindle collections add on for Calibre to set the font size, editing reader.pref directly, and using ssh/usbnetwork & editing mobireader.jar & framework-api.jar. None of these changes caused any issues, but none of them have any effect, either. If I set FONT_SIZE to 23 or edit the .jars to give me 23 as an option, the kindle seems to use the next highest preset size (aka 25). if I set it to say, 20, it changes, but changes to size 21. It's as if the new firmware has additional checks locking text size to the preset values. Not asking for someone to do it for me, just asking if anyone has successfully set custom font sizes on a kindle 4 running 4.1.x FW.
lachlan383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:02 PM   #1196
tvcat
tvcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi, I'm using Kindle 3 Keyboard.
The down key of the keyboard is broken so I cannot perform the normal jailbreak.
I forgot which version I'm on and I cannot check it too.
Can this use to jailbreak in this case?

Can I use this to install Duokan?

Thanks in advance.
tvcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:39 AM   #1197
790462960 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 5
An interesting result is that when I boot kubrick by u-disk in my laptop asus fx50j, it always stop booting at the autostart.sh, both "exit" and "sh autostart.sh" are not work, but it works on my desktop.
790462960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:50 AM   #1198
Gigel
Gigel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I used Kubrick downloaded from here.
I followed the instructions here.

But I didn't let it run to the end because it said it lasted a few hours and I needed a laptop.

I turned off the laptop in the hope that I could use Kubrick later.

Unfortunately, later I followed the steps but it didn't work anymore.

It shows me that it is often the written fash and the jump final.

But it is not written the flash, the first time went only a few minutes 1%.

Now my kindle 3G keyboard doesn't work!

Windows sees it as something attached to USB but doesn't know what it is.
Thank you for helping me!
Gigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 03:27 AM   #1199
Rominams
Rominams began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch (K5) and Kindle PW3W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osorkonius View Post
Hello, I'm having the same problem. Any idea how to fix this issue?
I had the same problem. Then I read a few posts higher up someone who typed Exit instead of poweroff and, indeed I tried it too, Kubrick started.
Rominams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:06 PM   #1200
jollyblondgiant
jollyblondgiant began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch K5
I'm having trouble booting to Kubrick on either of my Windows machines.

I used the tutorial recommended win32DiskImager to create a base-usb image on a thumb drive, then copied over the boot.io file from he DVD link into efi/boot.

However, when attempting to start from the usb in the boot menu, my output hangs on the Kubrick graphic and the warning that my computer may not be able to boot from usb ("a known problem for apple computers") and that I may have to try using a CD/DVD.

I have a few concerns :
1) I am using a windows machine not apple;
2) I load linux onto this machine frequently, using an image on a external HD;
3) the only optical drive in the whole house is in the blu-ray player.

My device is a B011 K5/KT with FW 5.3.7.3

Last edited by jollyblondgiant; 06-07-2021 at 07:08 PM. Reason: more info and layout
jollyblondgiant is offline   Reply With Quote