Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
lostsoul62
lostsoul62 began at the beginning.

Device: none
e reader for techies

I don't won't to download 1500 books. I don't want to download any books thought wireless. I don't need wireless. I just need an e reader to upload a couple of techie books so I can bring with me and so I can do word searches and so worth for greater understanding and ease. Does anything like this exist or do I still have to wait to technology to catch up?
lostsoul62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
I am assuming all these manuals are PDF. In my opinion, you need a large screen for that. A 6" is not good enough and I have tried many. Today, right now, there is only one product like that: the Kindle DX/Graphite. And this one is seriously lacking features when it comes to PDF.

Now, there will be a wider variety of devices later this year and early 2011. One of them is the Pocketbook 901.

There are methods to format PDF files to display on 6" devices but that is not helpful for PDF files I read. Others have been successful with this approach, though.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul62 View Post
I don't won't to download 1500 books. I don't want to download any books thought wireless. I don't need wireless. I just need an e reader to upload a couple of techie books so I can bring with me and so I can do word searches and so worth for greater understanding and ease. Does anything like this exist or do I still have to wait to technology to catch up?
The Pandigital Novel would work after you hack it and install some software (actually really easy to do). You can get one for $124 (that includes tax) after rebate and a coupon.

Android has a few good, free PDF reading programs like Adobe Reader and Beamreader (Beamreader does word searches, and you can zoom and reflow). The Pandigital Novel has a 7 inch backlit touchscreen, wifi, and decent battery life.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Wasn't the Pandigital Novel recalled as a result of so many issues? I don't think it is being sold anywhere right now. Correct me if I am wrong...
Old 07-26-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
zsmomma
zsmomma began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, Pandigital Novel, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
Wasn't the Pandigital Novel recalled as a result of so many issues? I don't think it is being sold anywhere right now. Correct me if I am wrong...
They're back on the market. At Bed, Bath, and Beyond. There's a $20 mail in rebate and you can get a 20% coupon (not sure where, maybe through the mailers?)
zsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
zetareticuli
Addict

Interesting. Have all the problems been corrected or are there still glitches here and there? I recall that the touchscreen was very unresponsive. It required the user to tap it a few times for it to respond. At times, it wouldn't respond at all and the device needed to be restarted. Is everything working well now?
Old 07-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Interesting. Have all the problems been corrected or are there still glitches here and there? I recall that the touchscreen was very unresponsive. It required the user to tap it a few times for it to respond. At times, it wouldn't respond at all and the device needed to be restarted. Is everything working well now?
The main issue with the Pandigital Novel in the past was that the firmware had many issues, and rather than just put it out as is, Pandigital decided to recall it (actually before it officially went on sale), work on the firmware, and re-release it. Some people were still able to get them before the recall, but most had to wait.

It has been re-released now and is readily available at Bed, Bath and Beyond, most Kohls stores, and various other retailers.

For the most part, the new firmware available on the Pandigital website fixes the majority of the problems. I find the touchscreen to be fine, and haven't had any problems with responsiveness. The only issue that still needs to be sorted is that the wifi sometimes drops unexpectedly, or has problems when waking from sleep. This doesn't happen all the time, but enough that it is a minor annoyance. However, the wifi continues to improve with each firmware release.

Also, after the hack the device becomes very versatile and responsive.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 AM   #8
zetareticuli
Addict

Noah, thanks for the detailed explanation. I am curious, after the hack and the jailbreaking, can you read PDFs on it? How are PDFs displayed? I am wondering how complex PDFs (technical manuals, scientific, etc) display on it. It seems to me the 7" display is small for most technical PDFs.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:57 AM   #9
Noah98
Eccentric

Quote:
Noah, thanks for the detailed explanation. I am curious, after the hack and the jailbreaking, can you read PDFs on it? How are PDFs displayed? I am wondering how complex PDFs (technical manuals, scientific, etc) display on it. It seems to me the 7" display is small for most technical PDFs.
Well, the default Barnes and Noble app allows you to read PDF's, but not very well.

With the hack, you have a lot of options:

Adobe Reader: good display, but not many options.
Beamreader: can do word searches
Documents to go: Very full featured app
...and various other options!

Although the display is small, you can use the touchscreen to pan around the document and zoom in and out. Most of the apps allow for reflow as well.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #10
zetareticuli
Addict

Thank you for the info. I will check it out for sure. I will try to find a local store that carries it so that I can try it.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #11
Noah98
Eccentric

Today a new hack was discovered to enable the Google Marketplace. It took some time, but I finally figured it out and have it working. Having the official app store for installs and updates is very useful!
Old 07-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #12
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
What is your budget
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote