Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Anyone else feel loyalty to their first?

I bought a Kindle in November of 2008. When the Kindle 2 came out, I decided I liked the K1 better because of the user replaceable battery and the expandable memory. I had a neat Oberon cover, too.

Then I left my kindle on the train in November of 2009. I decided to replace it with the only kindle available, the K2. I decided I loved the K2, loved reading it without a case, Calibre made not having expandable memory a non-issue -- I was in heaven.

Last week, someone called me, they had found my kindle. I offerred it to him for $50, but he didn't really want an ereader, and yesterday he returned it (he got a nice Starbucks gift card).

When I found out my K1 had been found, I started working on an ebay ad. Yesterday, I got my K1 back, recharged it, and it sent chills up my spine. I don't really know if I can get rid of it. But I certainly don't need it. I know it is stupid to feel nostagic about electronics! But I don't know if I can part with my first ereader. It feels like I am cheating.

Anyone else feel this way about their first?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Still on my first, can't imagine switching to something else at this point.

Still, good post! Glad to hear you got it back.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
re838uk
re838uk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 (Red)
I'm still on my first reader, just wanted to say congrats on getting your kindle back 3 months after it went MIA. that was very lucky!
re838uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I would never sell my old readers, but I will replace them if the technology really catches up... (my ebookman got replaced with a PDA, as that had colours, which got replaced with a newer version, because that had a much better screen. I still use that last PDA, my other two readers are extra... and I use all three of them)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I have both K1 and K2 as well. I only read on K2 but I use K1 as my master portable library. I believe I will sell or give away the K2 in the future but I'll always have the K1. I'm just a little romantic about it even though I don't read books on it anymore.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
I've been thinking about your Kindle ever since you lost it. I almost asked you in another thread you'd created if you had it back, but decided against posting off-topic.

To your question, I often feel similarly attached to devices. I bought my wife a Nook for Christmas, and its thin profile is certainly attractive (although it has other problems that put me off it). But when I get my Kindle back in my hand or my DR 1000s, suddenly I'm all happy again.

On the other hand, I was looking at the video of the Microsoft Courier last night and was simply awe-struck. If it does PDF's well, I might just be inclined to switch.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
you know what they say, "you never forget your first." i still love my eb1150, and show it off at every single meetup, even though since i got my sony i never use it anymore. i don't think i'll ever get rid of it. i'm so glad for you you got your kindle back.

oh, and yes, i felt like i was cheating on my eb1150 for the longest time when i got my sony.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Nah, I'm eagerly waiting for something that will obsolesce my first reader device. I love ebooks in concept, but the real-world hardware and software falls so far short that I can't feel at all attached to my reader or my PDF books. That surprises me actually, since it takes numerous hours to actually typeset the books, in addition to carefully marking errors and editing after the fact.

Actually, I've never spent as much time with a single paperback or hardcover novel as I have with most of my ebooks because there is often so much to fix. I could possibly try to find a way to feel nostalgic about that (more "intimate" relationship with the text), but then again, it should have been the publisher's job, not mine, to make the book decent.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I just love them, and go on to the next.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
My EB1150 does things that my Sony 600 can't do (well if Sony wanted to they could).

I would like to sell it. But would "they" treat it right?

If I could fiind someone who REALLY wanted it, I could give it away. But would "they" treat it right?

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 03-06-2010 at 04:37 PM.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #11
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Both my older readers stayed in the family. I don't think I would like to give them away (meaning to strangers), but I have no problem with people I know having them - I can visit and ask about their news, and check if they're treated properly. A bit like pets really (Not that I would ever exchange my dog for a new one... maybe the pet metaphor is not so good after all... )
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #12
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Thanks for all the congrats on getting my k back. I got a call, out of the blue, on Monday. Someone tried to sell my K to a guy (Michael) for $200. I had taped a business card on the inside of the Oberon cover, and on the back of the kindle. The thief (guess I can't really call him a thief) removed the card from the cover, but didn't bother to take the k out of the case. Michael did, and said the k was lost, and he was going to return it. The thief said he found it, he would return it. Michael didn't think that was likely, and kept it and called me. I'm sure there is more to the story (he was a teacher, maybe a student tried to sell it to him), but I was just so happy. Not so much for getting the k back, but to have my faith in human nature restored. I offerred to sell it to him for $50 (I would give him 2 charges, the usb, an extra battery). He decided he didn't want an ereader. I brought it home, plugged in the charger, and my 50 pages of books came right up. I hate to say, at that moment, my love for my k2 went out the window. Of course, it came back when I read in bed last night, and clipped the purple light directly on my k2.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:56 PM   #13
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I'm not really sentimental about keeping things, electronics included. But I do like to have extras so when I eventually upgrade my reader I'll probably keep the one I have now "just in case."

It's amazing that your Kindle was returned to you after more than 3 months! It's also amazing the guy didn't want it for $50!
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:57 PM   #14
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Not at all. I'm on my sixth e-ink e-reader, and all but one has been sold off when I realised they'd just end up languishing in a drawer for one reason or another. I think it's better to re-coup some of the worth while you can.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
My EB1150 does things that my Sony 600 can't do (well ir Sony wanted to they could).

I would like to sell it. But would "they" treat it right?

If I could fiind someone who REALLY wanted it, I could give it away. But would "they" treat it right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Both my older readers stayed in the family. I don't think I would like to give them away (meaning to strangers), but I have no problem with people I know having them - I can visit and ask about their news, and check if they're treated properly. A bit like pets really (Not that I would ever exchange my dog for a new one... maybe the pet metaphor is not so good after all... )
i feel the same way. i am going to give one of mine to my father ; he's interested in ebooks, but sort of abstractly, mainly because i keep going on about them to him. i don't think he's interested enough to actually buy one, but he's really happy that i'm going to give him one of mine. i think it will be nice for him to be able to see what they're really about (then when i go on about them it will be less abstract). plus then we can share books and talk about them together.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote