Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 10:53 PM   #16
jim5467
jim5467 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
Very true. I think the Edge would still have the edge. I will also be ordering an Apple ipad as soon as it becomes available.
I agree for the price the Edge is a lot of machine. As for the ipad I have already signed up to be notified when it goes on sale.
jim5467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:54 AM   #17
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Very true. I think the Edge would still have the edge. I will also be ordering an Apple ipad as soon as it becomes available.
In my opinion it looks like the Edge it's going to kick down the iPad into its boots.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 08:57 AM   #18
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
This was posted yesterday on the Entourage Edge Community site. I thought it would add some points about the Entourage Edge in comparison to the Apple iPad.

Quote:
Boris

For the same price, the eDGe gives you:
- two screens
- bigger colour screen
- stereo speakers
- dual noise-cancelling microphones
- widescreen aspect ratio
- better battery life as an eReader (16 hours vs 10)
- you can write notes on the eInk side while doing something else on the LCD
side
- webcam
- open-source OS
- third party apps more freely available (not rigourously controlled)
- non-proprietary (DRM’d) eBooks (you can buy eBooks elsewhere and use on eDGe)
- support for Office documents (read/write)
- protective cover built-in (clamshell) at no extra cost
- kickstand built-in (reverse-clamshell) at no extra cost
- easily replaceable battery (plus you can carry extras)
- support for USB devices (without needing a dock/adapter)
- supports any USB/Bluetooth keyboard (doesn’t require custom dock)
- SD card slot (doesn’t require a dongle, gives you up to 32 GB additional storage)
- not just a big iPhone – a genuinely unique device in the
phone/netbook/tablet/laptop spectrum
- over-the-air backup support
- support for handwriting with stylus
- multitasks (runs more than one app at a time)
- supports USB & AC power at the same time, without needing one-at-a-time extra dongles
- Flash (specifically Flash Lite)

If nothing else, I think the folding design is the eDGe’s significant advantage – the iPad’s design is just asking for a smashed LCD and scuff marks.

January 27, 2010 @ 5:40 pm
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #19
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Yeah. If all those features work as advertised (and there is currently no reason to think they wouldn't), the eDGe blows the Apple ipad away... In fact, if the eDGe is as good as I hope it will be, I will immediately buy one for the wife.

I really don't consider the eDGe a dedicated ebook reader as the other devices (it is much more than that). As a matter of fact, I plan to buy another large screen dedicated e-reader device as long as the price is reasonable. Considering the price of the eDGe and of the Apple ipad, it doesn't make sense to pay $500 or more for a dedicated e-book reader device. In my opinion, the battery life alone is just not a good enough reason to spend the same amount of money on a much more limited device.

Last edited by zetareticuli; 01-28-2010 at 07:36 PM.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:34 AM   #20
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
The more I read about this device the more I want one. The only downside is that you don't get as good battery life but 16 hour+ in ereader mode is not to shabby. The fact that the battery is replaceable so you can keep a spare makes it even more attractive.

I think Entourage should point out the screen size more clearly by comparing it with a photo of another big screen reader. Took me a while to figure out that the e-ink sceen is as large as the Kindle DX.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 09:48 AM   #21
dls81
Enthusiast
dls81 began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
Quote:
Guys, I am on the Feb shipment of the Edge. Does anyone know what day in Feb the edge will start to ship? If it's at the turn of the month, most of us should have it next week...
I read that they will start shipping on the 10th...
dls81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #22
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Feb 10th? Did you get an email from Entourage about that?
Old 01-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #23
dls81
Enthusiast

It's second hand information from a link in the "community" part of the entourage website. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35066954...h_and_gadgets/
Hopefully it wasn't just pulled out of thin air. I tried to ask them (entourage) about it on facebook and they just said "february".
Old 01-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #24
zetareticuli
Addict

Ok, thanks. I think that date is as accurate as any so let's go with Feb 10th, which is about 2 weeks away!
Old 01-29-2010, 10:15 AM   #25
dls81
Enthusiast

2 LONG weeks away, you mean
Old 01-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #26
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Tom Conklin said in an email to me that they have yet to confirm a date yet for the February shipments and he doesn't know where Feb. 10th in the MSNBC article came from.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #27
zetareticuli
Addict

Paul, I guess that means chances are it will not be next week. Probably not until mid month. If they were to start shipping next week, they would already know it.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #28
paulckennedy
Addict

That is unless they just want to make it an event.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:42 PM   #29
KenK
KenK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle I, iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dls81 View Post
2 LONG weeks away, you mean
Oh come on, usually "Ships February" means "we'll try to ship it by the end of February". Feb. 10 would be 17 days earlier than I expected.
KenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:33 PM   #30
zetareticuli
Addict

I am thinking something like Feb 20th or so. I would expect it Feb 20+.