Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-14-2009, 04:05 PM   #1
Stacey34
Connoisseur
Stacey34 doesn't litterStacey34 doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505 (Red)
It never fails....I am always asked.

Now, I have to admit that I take my reader with me EVERYWHERE. You just never know when you can fit in some reading. It never fails that if I am around people I will ALWAYS get asked about it.
This past weekend my husband and I went to the Columbus Bluejackets game (hockey). I shouldn't admit this but I know you will all understand. In case you don't go to hockey games, there are 3 periods and there is a 15 minute break between each period. Well, my husband walks around during that time so I figured well I'll take my reader and of course, read.
My husband is so used to it that he doesn't even say anything anymore!
Well, low and behold during the first break a very nice lady behind me wants to know about it. She then gets her husbands attention and I talk to him about it too. I LOVE telling others about how much I enjoy this gem of mine. As I tell others, I have purchased all kinds of electronic devices and my Sony 505 is my ALL time favorite purchase.
If you are on this site trying to decide whether to buy one or not, all I can say is get off of here (just for now) and order one!

Happy Reading!
Stacey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
addicted2books
EBookaholic
addicted2books doesn't litteraddicted2books doesn't litteraddicted2books doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Red)
Lightbulb What a Conversation Piece....

I have to agree with you, Stacey34.

I think the most amazing thing is the number of people that have never even heard of such a thing! Maybe it's just the area that I live in. It would be considered very small town to most and 'in the sticks' to others.

My son calls my Reader, 'the book that's not a book'. Given the number of books that I read I think everyone is glad to hear that I'm trying to save some trees. Now I'm impatiently waiting for our local library system to make the jump to ebooks.
addicted2books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
disney_mommy
Ebook fanatic
disney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Kindle Keyboard
I was just out to dinner with my family yesterday, and I took my 505 into the restaurant, just so I could finish a page before I shut it off. As I closed it and put it back in my beautiful Borsa Bella case, I said "I just love my eReader!" They all just gave me that eye roll that says "yeah, yeah, we've heard it before."
disney_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I keep hearing these type of stories from people but the only place it's happened to me was in the doctor's office.

Maybe people in Alabama just don't read much or aren't curious or maybe it's just that Huntsville is a "techie" town and everyone already knows what it is.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
Sometimes I think I'm the only person in my town who has ever read an ebook. When people ask me about my business and I explain that I sell ebooks, and I like reading them too, they are always fascinated, but people usually respond, "But I love books!" People seem threatened. I'm not sure why. I say I love books too and I like ebooks. Just another way to read! People remain hesitant because they think it will be like trying to read on a computer screen. They have no clue how nice e-ink screens are.

Oh well, it is nice to be somewhat cutting edge. I'm usually not very trendy, except with ebooks.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
LOL I love it...taking your ereader into a Hockey game!! That is something I would do HAHA...except I don't set foot anywhere near sporting events very often.

I have brought my reader with me a few times, but I'm kinda scared to let it loose in my purse. I'm afraid with all the other odds and ends I bring with me...it will get all scratched up. I'm thinking of switching to my Walmart purse(!) that has the side pocket that's the PERFECT size for a book. Then maybe I'll feel a little safer.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
I keep hearing these type of stories from people but the only place it's happened to me was in the doctor's office.

Maybe people in Alabama just don't read much or aren't curious or maybe it's just that Huntsville is a "techie" town and everyone already knows what it is.
Or maybe they are polite?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Happens to me all the time. Today one of my coworkers asked me where my "video book" was.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
I just posted something about this in another thread! I live in the Washington DC area where there are a lot of tech people. You would think that an electronic reader would be fairly common knowledge, but I am asked about mine all the time!

As for sporting events, I would definitely bring my reader!!

Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:06 PM   #10
beatonl
beatonl doesn't litterbeatonl doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Yeah, It happens to me here in Sydney (australia) too. Roughly once a week some-one will ask me about it. It's got so I've printed little business cards with details of the reader, MobileRead.com and D&H in NY for people so they can find out everything they might want to know...
beatonl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:07 PM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I should dig up the cards that Sony put in the box with the device and put them in my purse, now that you mention business cards...
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:23 PM   #12
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I still mostly get asked if it's a Kindle....or as I mentioned in a different thread, a "really big iPod". (Okay, that one was from one of the cafeteria workers...maybe her hairnet was on too tight).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:07 AM   #13
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
I am a tattoo artist so I see all types of people everyday and I am constantly praising my 505. The two coolest moments were when I got to talking to a Middle School librarian about it and she said that she had been looking at the Kindle but now would be considering Sony. The other was a customer of mine who in the Coast Guard in Alaska who comes down to FL once a year and gets worked on. HE was talking about how him and his wife make large Barnes & Noble orders multiple times a year so I started telling him about the Sony and by the time his tattoo was complete, he left with the intent to head to Borders and buy a Sony before he left go back to Alaska, along with the URL for Mobile Read as wella s Kovid's site so he could get Calibre for it.

There are some days I feel like a cultists recruiting for some nefarious plot. I just need a Snuggie to complete the look. I guess it doesn't help that my current skin on my Reader is made to look like and old leatherbound book with blood splatters on it.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:59 AM   #14
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatonl View Post
Yeah, It happens to me here in Sydney (australia) too. Roughly once a week some-one will ask me about it. It's got so I've printed little business cards with details of the reader, MobileRead.com and D&H in NY for people so they can find out everything they might want to know...
I printed cards too. I think I've handed out about 30 since mid-January, primarily to curious restaurant wait staff and customers.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:45 AM   #15
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite 4
Well - some people in Northern Alabama know what they are - I know four people with them (me included) and I get asked about mine fairly often.

The last time I was in Birmingham, I noticed several at the coffee shop I stopped in at, although they were mostly Kindles.

If you know anyone up in Huntsville looking for a slight deal on one, Unclaimed Baggage in Scottsboro usually has 505s and Kindles, and the 505s run between $125 (on a lucky day) and $225. (Before they really knew what they were, they sold one for $75. - yeah, my dad is a lucky b%#%#$)
The $225 ones have books on them - thus the increased price - just read the books before connecting the reader to a computer, because once you connect to the Sony Book Store and create an account and authorize your reader, it will lock you out of the pre-loaded books.

I love my 505!! I carry it everywhere - last week, I went to an auction with my parents - I had mine, but mom doesn't really carry hers around (despite the nice M-Edge case) and she was wishing she had brought hers. Maybe next time she'll remember it!

(and yes, I ended up demonstrating my reader for four people at the auction.)

Mare

Last edited by Mare of Earth; 04-15-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Mare of Earth is offline   Reply With Quote