Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 01-07-2017, 09:13 PM   #1
jbsavitz
Connoisseur
jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Onyx Boox M92 and i62HD
[Android] Adobe Digital Editions and Calibre Companion

Hi,

I use Calibre Companion (licensed version) on Android with Adobe Digital Editions, both using the latest versions. I like the way you can click the read button in Calibre Companion and the .epub is opened in Adobe Digital Editions.

However, what I've noticed is each time Calibre Companion opens the book in Adobe Digital Editions, a new copy of the epub is created inside Adobe Digital Editions. I've confirmed this by browsing the Digital Editions folder. I also have the setting turned on in Calibre Companion to store the .epubs in the My Digital Editions folder.

Can you give me some insight as to why I'm having this problem? Is it a bug or do I have a setting set incorrectly.

Thanks you in advance for your help.

Regards,

Jim Savitz
jbsavitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:20 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
ADE does that on PC also, if you open a book in ade, a new copy is created in the relevant docs folder
so I suspect that is not a CC issue, and not controllable.
there are better android readers anyway, try some of the free ones then buy the premium version of the one you like best... Moon Reader and Bookari are both good and do not create an extra book copy. [ bookari does only if you use the cloud feature, moon can sync to cloud but by default it only writes a last page read record, it does not copy the whole book ]
Bookari has built in support for adobe DRM if your books are not unlocked
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2017, 01:37 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
CC passes the file path to the reader, never creating a copy. It is ADE that is creating the copy. I know of no way to avoid it unless there is an option deeply buried in ADE somewhere. We have the same problem with Aldiko.

If you have stripped DRM from the books then I would do as stumped suggests (and as I actually do): use a different reader. There are so many that at least one should satisfy you. If you start exploring, in addition to the ones stumped suggested, try cool reader and fbreader. Note: bookari used to be mantano.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:24 PM   #4
jbsavitz
Connoisseur
jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Onyx Boox M92 and i62HD
Hi Chaley and Stumped,

You're both right about the ADE functionality, it's not smart. I tried launching .epub books from file explorers in both Android and Windows. In Windows ADE asks you if you want to copy the .epub to the library which enables annotating and highlighting which I make extensive use of.

I'll contact Adobe about this functionality issue. I've corresponded with them about the Acrobat DC reader on Android and they have been responsive and have fixed things. This may be something that can be corrected. So the work around for now is to remember you have the ebook in ADE and open it in there. When you make a new ebook copy in Android the annotations and highlighting disappear.

I'm going to put up a different post about e-reader software selection instead of discussing it here.

Thank you both for your responses.

Regards,

Jim Savitz
jbsavitz is offline   Reply With Quote