Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
ExEmGe
ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Recovery from Library

About eighteen months ago, I put an rtf document on to my reader via the library, read it and forgot about it. Now I suddenly need to edit & reprint it.
The original is gone, the backups are gone and I deleted it from the reader long ago. The only copy I can find it is the copy in the Reader library. Is it possible to extract it from there? I've never needed to to this before and have only just noticed that there doesn't seem to be that facility. Have I missed it or am I condemned to re-write from scratch?
Obviously in this case there is no DRM involved.
Andy Minter
ExEmGe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Just drag and drop from the Library folder. Mine is under Documents/My Books/Reader Library.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
ExEmGe
ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found the directory as you said but it is empty. (Actually there are about 200 books in the library)
Searching for 'Reader Library' finds only the one in 'my books'
Searching for the title of one of the books that are really there yields no finds.
Thanks anyway. but any further ideas would be gratefully received.

Andy Minter
Old 05-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Are you sure you have activated "all formats" in the explorer window where the directories show up?
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
The copy is still visible in the Reader Library? If so, can you open/view it in the Sony software and hit the "i" button in the upper left corner? It should show you the file path. Sometimes the software stores books in a folder called something like "kdatabase" buried on your computer in the Program Files folders. When it does that sometimes the files are renamed too.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
ExEmGe

Thank you both. Problem solved! (I had never noticed that 'i' button)
I was under the impression that the library made its own copy of the file but I see that it just holds (somewhere) a pointer. I'd also forgotten that the title shown on the library list is not the name of the file and so I did have the file all the time - but under its original name.
V. grateful.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Great! Glad you found it!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote