Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
cycles
cycles began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
WARNING: KOBO FAIL, didn't work on vacation

I purchased a number of Kobo books to take on vacation. Unfortunately I arrived at my destination (Mexico) and was unable to open any of my newly purchased books. The e-reader generated a license error and indicated that I could correct with the "Update Library" function. I was unable to do that because I was in an area without Internet access. Consequently, my Kobo e-reader became a brick for the duration of my vacation.

My Kobo has had numerous software related problems since I purchased in early 2010. My wife's Kindle has been flawless.

My advice to those who use the Kobo e-reader is to open every book that you have purchased after every recharge or update. It is the only way to be sure that it will work when you need it.

ETA: The specific message is "The content you are trying to view is locked. PLEASE UPDATE YOUR LIBRARY TO ACCESS YOUR BOOKS. PRESS THE "SHOP" BUTTON AND SELECT - "UPDATE LIBRARY".

Last edited by cycles; 03-27-2011 at 04:12 PM.
cycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
have you licenced your kobo with adobe digital editions?
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
jayupark
Enthusiast
jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle 3G, Kobo wifi
I really wish Kobo was not associated with adobe. It feels like everything adobe touches just ends up being less reliable, more complex and a resource hog.
jayupark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #4
masona8
Enthusiast
masona8 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, Kindle DX graphite, Kindle 3
Well I won't ask to borrow your kobo! Mine has been going very well for the past year
masona8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
cycles
cycles began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
My Kobo hardware has been fine for the last year too. It is the software glitches and the feature deficient Kobo Desktop Application that have led to my disappointment.

I really wanted KOBO to do well but, when it came time to buy an e-reader for my wife, we went with the Wi-Fi Kindle 3 instead.
cycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
My Original Kobo (purchased May 1 2010) and Kindle 3 travel very nicely to Mexico (and back). There were some initial challenges with the Kobo software that wasn't sorted out till about the first week of July. I didn't update to 1.8 until recently; vers 1.4 certainly worked well enough in Dec as well. Travelling outside of Canada would have no effect on your Kobo.

Another point: anything you purchase through Kobo and transfer directly through the Kobo Desktop is in "kepub" format and doesn't rely on Adobe -- at least, that's my understanding. Your error message "The content you are trying to view is locked" I understood was related to Adobe DRM ePub files on a device that isn't authorized with your Adobe account. That would block all public library content and books you purchase from Kobo which you have separately downloaded the ePub version and loaded that ontoyour Kobo (instead of or in replace of the native Kobo file, kepub).

I'd welcome the gurus here clarifying that for me.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:12 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
the moral is test beofre going on holiday.

taking a battery powered hardware device to a different physical part of the globe should have NO effect on how it works!
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
I have had the Content Locked message before - and on Kobo Kepubs - but it's occured after connecting it to my computer, and I think was a symptom of other issues that went wrong in the sync (I ended up having to do a factory reset - this has happened twice). I don't know why it would suddenly lock while you are reading it though.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycles View Post
I was unable to do that because I was in an area without Internet access. Consequently, my Kobo e-reader became a brick for the duration of my vacation.
Ahh yes, the problem of availability and reliability and an internet connection. Bringing sophisticated technology and high class citizens of the world to their knees going on a decade or two now.

It sucks, but the internet is not omnipresent.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote