Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
BadGandalf
BadGandalf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Temp files...

Hi all,

I just discovered Calibre and find it is a great tools. I have, however, come into a problem that is disturbing me. I noticed my PC was slowing down after installing calibre and after some research found that it was copying thousands of files (i believe they are backup copies or something similar of the books) to the C:\Windows\Temp directory.

Anyone knows how to stop this or why is it doing so? Thks,

Ignacio
BadGandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Are you using an older version of Windows (I'm thinking 9x)? I've seen Calibre creating temporary files inside the systems temporary folder (which, in all recent versions of Windows, should be something else than %WINDIR%\Temp) while converting or downloading feeds, but I've never seen it create files anywhere or anytime else.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 02:06 AM   #3
BadGandalf

I'm using XP.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:59 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

What are your temp and tmp variables set to? (type "set" without quotes in the command prompt and look for "TEMP=whatever" and "TMP=whatever")
Old 10-23-2010, 06:00 AM   #5
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
I see the same on Vista 64 bit. Older Calibre versions leave a book copy, newer just empty logfiles
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 06:03 AM   #6
Manichean
Wizard

Okay, then it seems my assumption that Calibre only writes into the system's temporary folder is wrong.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:59 AM   #7
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
The Calibre ebook viewers leave 2 files in my temp folder for every book I open, without exception. With names like ebo9.tmp, lrfB.tmp.

The pdftohtml.exe utility can leave truly huge numbers of files, especially if you get sick of watching it run and decide/need to cancel the job in Calibre. A folder with 356529 files takes a while to delete.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
A folder with 356529 files takes a while to delete.
It speeds things up if you hold the shift key down when you hit delete (which tells Win not to copy them into the trashcan first).
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #9
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
It speeds things up if you hold the shift key down when you hit delete (which tells Win not to copy them into the trashcan first).
I know that, but it still took forever. It is slightly quicker if you delete the folder and then recreate it later.

The annoying thing, one of the more annoying things about the vast number of files was that they all seemed to be identical 100x100 pixel png files. I dropped a few hundred on a hash utility and had identical CRC. All of them were the same size.

The other annoying thing, one of the many other annoying things is that there is no indication of how many files will be created or how long the job will take, it is just open-ended. The last time I tried it I gave up after 2752 minutes (46 hours).

Last edited by banjomike; 10-23-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #10
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
The other annoying thing, one of the many other annoying things is that there is no indication of how many files will be created or how long the job will take, it is just open-ended. The last time I tried it I gave up after 2752 minutes (46 hours).
I think that's because it's impossible to tell beforehand or even while a job is running.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:13 PM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Create a tempoarary folder on same drive
Select all of the files you want to delete.
Move them into the tempoarary folder by clicking and dragging, do not cut
and paste
Delete the temporary file.

It's not elegant but it works.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:06 AM   #12
BadGandalf

The copies I was getting were something like epub-nameofthebook.zip and were being created as soon as I started windows. I finally got rid of it by deleting the library from my documents. I will stop using Calibre in my xp portable for a while trying to figure out what happened and keep the database on my W7 pc. Rgds,

Ignacio

Last edited by BadGandalf; 10-24-2010 at 02:20 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:12 AM   #13
banjomike
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Create a tempoarary folder on same drive
Select all of the files you want to delete.
Move them into the tempoarary folder by clicking and dragging, do not cut
and paste
Delete the temporary file.

It's not elegant but it works.
I don't know if you mean me but, you cannot do that, using explorer, with a folder containing 350000 files. It would take hours (literally) just to select the files. It took an hour just to get the properties page to display. Windows just does not expect a folder to contain that number of files.

Oddly enough, DOS doesn't mind. I copied a few hundred files and directory listings from the jumbo folder for future reference using DOS. Yay, DOS.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:27 AM   #14
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Oddly enough, DOS doesn't mind. I copied a few hundred files and directory listings from the jumbo folder for future reference using DOS. Yay, DOS.
Wait, you're still booting a DOS system? That's... somehow, and I'm slightly ashamed of saying it, that's cool.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:36 AM   #15
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
I don't know if you mean me but, you cannot do that, using explorer, with a folder containing 350000 files. It would take hours (literally) just to select the files. It took an hour just to get the properties page to display. Windows just does not expect a folder to contain that number of files.

For rapid deletes of folders with massive numbers of files, I've used the old deltree command (with the /Y option). It's nearly instantaneous as it works only on the folder entry in the directory.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote