Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
wouter391
wouter391 began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Cybook big pdf capabilities

Hi,

I am thinking about buying a Cybook, mainly for reading pdfs of papers and books. However, I am a bit worried about the pdf capabilities of the Cybook due to some posts on this forum. Could anyone owning a Cybook be so kind to give the two pdf's at
http://alpha.uhasselt.be/~lucg6377/bookeen/
a try on his Cybook? (they were too big to put on the forum) For the first I would mainly be interested in whether the cybook does not crash, as the file is fairly big, and whether reading is still possible when the background is non-white. For the second I am wondering whether all mathematical symbols come out nicely.

More generally, when the latest updates are installed, is there still a lot of trouble with the pdf support?

Thanks!
Wouter
wouter391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Big one didn't open (Cybook reboot !), 2nd one seems to render nicely...

Edit : Cybook v.820

Last edited by Idoine; 05-01-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:26 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Size isn't an issue - page complexity is. The CyBook only "looks" at a single page at a time, so the actual size of the file doesn't really matter. I have an 80MB PDF file on my CyBook (a Latin grammar book whose pages are images) and that works just fine. What will "kill" it is if the rendering requirements of a very, very complex page exceed the limited memory available on the CyBook.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:10 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Size isn't an issue - page complexity is.
I mostly agree, but I have a 2500-page PDF (Le vicomte de Bragelonne) that worked fine with previous version but, with the latest firmware upgrade, causes a reboot every time I try to open it. Splitting it in two files solves the problem, so in this case it seems size is an issue (the file is TeX-generated normal text, nothing fancy).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:25 AM   #5
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
[...] (the file is TeX-generated normal text, nothing fancy).
And how do you do that? Please?
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:29 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGG- View Post
And how do you do that? Please?
I write a LaTeX file and then process it with pdflatex. No, it's not an automatic conversion from any other ebook format to pdf.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:57 AM   #7
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I write a LaTeX file and then process it with pdflatex. No, it's not an automatic conversion from any other ebook format to pdf.
Oh thanks; so I could do it with Lyx i guess.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:02 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGG- View Post
Oh thanks; so I could do it with Lyx i guess.
Yes, possibly. Use the "geometry" package to set the page size (to 9x12cm) and margins.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
YGG-
Dry fruit

Quote:
Yes, possibly. Use the "geometry" package to set the page size (to 9x12cm) and margins.
Thanks ! K. !
Old 05-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #10
wouter391
wouter391 began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Thanks for all the (very quick) reactions.

But, what do you guys do then with a file like this (
http://alpha.uhasselt.be/~lucg6377/b...kweb_1.out.pdf ) for which the pages are too complex? Would it be a solution to convert it to a sequence of images, or would this not reduce the complexity of the pages? Or, of course, would another reader be a better choice if I want to read these kind of pdf's?

Thanks!
Wouter
wouter391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Converting the complex pages to images should be a solution but, of course, at the expense of a massive increase in file size.

We HOPE to have a much improved PDF renderer when (if?) Bookeen ever get around to releasing the long-awaited ePub firmware update, so that may also solve your problem. SHOULD be available in the next few weeks, but it's best not to hold your breath where Bookeen are concerned...
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:20 PM   #12
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
but it's best not to hold your breath where Bookeen are concerned...
I should know better, but I come here nearly every day hoping to see that there's been a firmware update :P
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote