Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
kenmilton3
kenmilton3 began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage eDGe
Location app?

When I try to use this app it leads me to establish a google account, then says unable to access google servers.
I have upgraded to ermine and have the wi fi connection working with the browser. The Map app seems to know where I am.
This is my first post, so hello to all from Atlanta.
kenmilton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
jamina1
Connoisseur
jamina1 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmilton3 View Post
When I try to use this app it leads me to establish a google account, then says unable to access google servers.
I have upgraded to ermine and have the wi fi connection working with the browser. The Map app seems to know where I am.
This is my first post, so hello to all from Atlanta.
Greetings Kenmilton.

The Pocket Edge doesn't have a GPS so its most likely gathering your location from your wifi information. In order to bypass the google authentication issue you have to attempt a couple things.

I had success using the method described in this post. You have to know how to use Titanium Backup, how to root your device, and be confident that you know what you are doing. This procedure, done incorrectly, has a chance to brick your device. But given you updated without a hitch you're probably ok.

If you don't want to go through that hassle, you can sideload apps from many locations such as freewarelovers.com and androidzoom.com

Good luck!
jamina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
asnider123
Connoisseur
asnider123 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge Golden-Allmine-Ermine-rc3
I beg to differ, jamina, but the PE (at least mine) DOES appear to have a GPS chip inside, though not activated by default. It didn't rear it's head until last nite when I performed the 2.2 and allmine and gapps updates from this site, but now when I run Google Maps, it is tracking me, and pretty accurately too LOL

So my unit either has a GPS, or it is possessed. I am happy either way

Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamina1 View Post
Greetings Kenmilton.

The Pocket Edge doesn't have a GPS so its most likely gathering your location from your wifi information. In order to bypass the google authentication issue you have to attempt a couple things.

I had success using the method described in this post. You have to know how to use Titanium Backup, how to root your device, and be confident that you know what you are doing. This procedure, done incorrectly, has a chance to brick your device. But given you updated without a hitch you're probably ok.

If you don't want to go through that hassle, you can sideload apps from many locations such as freewarelovers.com and androidzoom.com

Good luck!
asnider123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
pablob
Connoisseur
pablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheesepablob can extract oil from cheese

Device: OnyxBook M96, enTourage Pocket eDGe (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asnider123 View Post
I beg to differ, jamina, but the PE (at least mine) DOES appear to have a GPS chip inside, though not activated by default. It didn't rear it's head until last nite when I performed the 2.2 and allmine and gapps updates from this site, but now when I run Google Maps, it is tracking me, and pretty accurately too LOL

I think it's probably using the wireless networks around you. Try loading Maps with the WiFi (in an area where the map tiles are cached, so you won't need to download them) disabled, preferably after a clean reboot (to make sure there is no leftover information) and see if it tracks you. I'm curious...
pablob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
asnider123
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablob View Post
I think it's probably using the wireless networks around you. Try loading Maps with the WiFi (in an area where the map tiles are cached, so you won't need to download them) disabled, preferably after a clean reboot (to make sure there is no leftover information) and see if it tracks you. I'm curious...
Will do, will post results tonight
Old 12-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:

Alan
Sorry, no GPS chip in any of the eDGes.

What you are seeing the results of Google slurping information about WiFi units that are within range of any GPS equipped phone and so getting very good location information as to where the WiFi unit is. In fact they have our public WiFi unit pinpointed to within 3 metres and our private encrypted one to within 10 metres.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
asnider123
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Sorry, no GPS chip in any of the eDGes.

What you are seeing the results of Google slurping information about WiFi units that are within range of any GPS equipped phone and so getting very good location information as to where the WiFi unit is. In fact they have our public WiFi unit pinpointed to within 3 metres and our private encrypted one to within 10 metres.
Wow, yer a smart cookie!! Turns out that with both BT and WIFI off, it was still showing last location. Turned on BT, no difference. Turned off BT and WIFI on, it sync'd up right away.

At work, it was tracking me walking across the property (we have a big facility) .. must have been my phone talking to the PE by WIFI .. in any case, since I always carry my cellphone, the combo makes a fine 7" GPS, still really cool!!!
Old 12-16-2011, 12:43 AM   #8
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Nifty!! . . . except the part about Google being so good at tracking!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:05 AM   #9
asnider123
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Nifty!! . . . except the part about Google being so good at tracking!
Yah, if ur on the lamb, better keep your wifi off LOL
Old 12-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #10
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Yah, if ur on the lamb, better keep your wifi off LOL
Exactly!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote