Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
lowpis
lowpis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 - 3G
Exclamation [HACK] Google Translate on Ebook search menu

Just jailbroke my new Kindle3 and this is my first hack!
The context: I'm Brazilian but bought a Kindle because I read a lot of English books. I love the builtin dictionary in Kindle but I need a full Google Translate sometimes to understand some sentences. (and I guess it's a problem to other non english speakers too).

So here is how I solved my problem: changed the Wikipedia's search URL to use Google Translate URL. Not a big hack, but maybe something useful for someone else. (And, yes, you loose the Wikipedia search from the ebook search menu; for me a very good tradeoff)

So here is how:

1) Jailbreak your device

2) Enable USBNetwork

3) Mount root as rw

4) Edit file /opt/amazon/ebook/prefs/search_prefs
(For me it was easier to download the file, edit in my machine and upload it back)

You can change any URL in this file. I chose Wikipedia's and replaced with Google Translate URL:

Code:
http://translate.google.com/?sl=auto&tl=pt&q={searchTerm}
The parameters explained:
  • sl - source language code (or 'auto' for detection)
  • tl - to language code ('pt' for portuguese, for example)
  • q - the search term (just put '{searchTerm}')

The file should look like this:

Code:
SearchGoogleURL = http://www.google.com/search?q={searchTerm}
SearchWikipediaURL = http://translate.google.com/?sl=auto&tl=pt&q={searchTerm}
5) Don't forget to leave rw mode, turnoff USBnetwork, eject etc

6) To test it, go to any book (not samples) and highlight some text: press Middle-Button to start highlighting and finish the highlight pressing Space (not Enter). The text appears in the search box, select "Wikipedia" and voilá.

-----------

Hope this helps someone too. And sorry for the simple hack. Maybe someone can figure out how to put a proper "Translate" button in the search menu
lowpis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
niau
niau began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DXg
thanks very good
niau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
lowpis
lowpis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 - 3G
Do you think this hack is useful?

I could make a kindle update to make it simple. Maybe exposing the search_prefs file so the user could change for whatever he wants.

Is there any demand for this?
lowpis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Yes - making it easier for those of us who don't use that usbnetwork stuff!
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:04 AM   #5
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
@lowpis: Yes, please! An update would be very useful.
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
Aires
Aires began at the beginning.

Device: none
I know I am speaking a bit out of topic, but it is important:
Amazon states that the kindle wifi does not support ad hoc network(peer to peer), so one cannot use his laptop to access internet. It means that one has to buy wireless router, which in turn could be quite an investment.

So there is my suggestion: use a virtual access point - http://www.virtual-ap.com. Because i don't have a Kindle (yet), i can't try it. If somebody has already an experience with this programm, please share it! Greetings from Germany
Aires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpis View Post

I could make a kindle update to make it simple. Maybe exposing the search_prefs file so the user could change for whatever he wants.

I'd love to have this as a simple update! So much great literature contains phrases in multiple languages. I just finished Heir to the Glimmering World, which had plenty of German, and The Finkler Question, which had lots of Yiddish. Of course, I'd rather not lose Wikipedia search
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:49 AM   #8
Aires

Okay, I have tried this Virtual Access Point now - its worthless. The Kindle says "Cannot connect to peer-to-peer network".Has anybody a solution for the problem or is wireless only with router possible?
Old 01-26-2011, 06:22 AM   #9
Aires

Lowpis, awesome hack, but how did you manage to run ;debugOn on your kindle 3? Its not functioning on mine at all
Old 01-27-2011, 04:56 AM   #10
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aires View Post
Lowpis, awesome hack, but how did you manage to run ;debugOn on your kindle 3? Its not functioning on mine at all
I have a K3 and just searching ";debugOn" in the Home and hitting enter will work. It should just do the weird e-ink flash and stay on the home screen. Make sure there's no spaces or anything.. (press Del first, or the Sym button won't activate anything)
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #11
ikar
ikar began at the beginning.

thanks , Your hack is useful. If you can , please create installer and uninstaller.
ikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:40 AM   #12
filbill
filbill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 wifi
Thx for thr hack.
Well it is VERY usefull for non native english readers, and I would love to have it just the way as standard dictionary works.

But why wikipedia!?!! It's the most usefull site next to email and facebook on kindle!! Better chage Yahoo, BBC or NYTimes. Those sites are kind of duplicate each other.
filbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:02 AM   #13
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:

There is. Make it simpler, please.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:09 AM   #14
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
Quote:

After monitoring this thread for some months now, I would like to add my voice to the rest and say 'Yes, please!'.
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #15
Kozzi
Enthusiast
Kozzi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Aura H2O
Is it possible to add more search option instead of replacing it ?
Kozzi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
google translate, hack, kindle, translate, translator