Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2007, 08:49 PM   #1
bluesnews
Enthusiast
bluesnews began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Buying Kindle Edition Books abroad

Do you need to have your billing address in the US, to buy the books?

Thanks in advance.
bluesnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:15 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesnews View Post
Do you need to have your billing address in the US, to buy the books?
You have to have your Kindle in the US is order to buy books.
The books are delivered DIRECTLY into Kindle. You can then copy them to PC and back, but when you purchase a book it can only be delivered thsouth Whispernet - that means Sprint.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:32 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You can download purchased Kindle books from Amazon website too. But to purchase them it seems you do need a U.S. credit card - it didn't allow me to buy one even though I did manage to buy the Kindle with it.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:22 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
You have to have your Kindle in the US is order to buy books.
The books are delivered DIRECTLY into Kindle. You can then copy them to PC and back, but when you purchase a book it can only be delivered thsouth Whispernet - that means Sprint.
Um, no. You are wrong.

There might be possible restrictions about the address of the credit card, but the physical location of the Kindle is irrelevant.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:43 AM   #5
vagelis
vagelis has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle1, kindle2 & kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Um, no. You are wrong.

There might be possible restrictions about the address of the credit card, but the physical location of the Kindle is irrelevant.
Actually, the physical location is somewhat relevant: you'd need to be in an area covered by Sprint's EVDO/1xRTT network.
Which unfortunately limits the device to continental US
vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:45 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagelis View Post
Actually, the physical location is somewhat relevant: you'd need to be in an area covered by Sprint's EVDO/1xRTT network.
Only for wireless download. You don't HAVE to use the wireless download capabilities - you can download the file from Amazon to your PC and then transfer it to the Kindle via USB.

This is exactly what people outside the range of EVDO coverage even in the US will need to do - EVDO is certainly not "universal" in the US, especially in more rural areas.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:46 AM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagelis View Post
No, not if you transfer the ebook by USB cable.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:44 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
You can download purchased Kindle books from Amazon website too. But to purchase them it seems you do need a U.S. credit card - it didn't allow me to buy one even though I did manage to buy the Kindle with it.
So, you really bought Kindle?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:56 AM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Have you tried buying a gift card for yourself, then using the gift card to buy the ebooks?
Old 11-21-2007, 07:58 AM   #10
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
So, you really bought Kindle?
Yep, should be on its way to me today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Have you tried buying a gift card for yourself, then using the gift card to buy the ebooks?
Hmm, that's an interesting idea. I'll investigate.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:25 AM   #11
sarahw2275
Connoisseur
sarahw2275 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Yep, should be on its way to me today.

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. I'll investigate.
Did it work? I'm in the UK, and I'm desperate to find a way to get one!
sarahw2275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:32 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahw2275 View Post
Did it work? I'm in the UK, and I'm desperate to find a way to get one!
What device are you reading on at the moment, Sarah?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:50 AM   #13
sarahw2275
Connoisseur
sarahw2275 began at the beginning.

I had a Sony, but I wasn't thrilled by the selection of books available for it so sold it when I decided to buy my Mac. I don't have a reader at all right now.
sarahw2275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:08 PM   #14
hkabir
e-bookviner
hkabir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPodTouch
Hi igorsk,

did you try to buy books using amazon gift card? Does it work? If it woks then I can buy giftcard for myself and use it to buy books. My decision to buy kindle dependes on the ability to buy books and magazines.
hkabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:20 PM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I don't think you can.

Quote:
To successfully purchase digital content from the Amazon Kindle Store, the 1-Click payment method listed on the Manage Your Kindle page must be a credit or debit card issued by a U.S. Bank with a U.S. billing address.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...=200127480&#us