Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-30-2015, 05:52 PM   #1
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Margins: % or em ?

My source material is EPUB, which I then convert to dual-mobi via Calibre.

I typically set top and bottom margins around chapter heads. I used to use %, then discovered this resulted in missing chapter heads and text in the mobi portion (though the kf8 portion is fine). Switching to em solved this problem.

When I looked in the Kindle Publishing Guidelines, I found: "When using the margin and padding CSS properties, specify the values in percentage (%) instead of em units" (section 3.1.7 on page 15).

Does anyone here use % with margins such that it works with both mobi and kf8? Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Examples
Spoiler:
This results in missing chapter heads and text when converted to mobi (but works fine in kf8):
Code:
h1 { 
font-size: 120%; 
margin-top: 20%; 
margin-bottom; 10%; 
text-align: center;}
But if I change it to em, it works for both mobi and kf8:
Code:
h1 { 
font-size: 120%; 
margin-top: 2em; 
margin-bottom; 1em; 
text-align: center;}
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:15 AM   #2
phillipgessert
Addict
phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5th Gen
I usually use % for margin-top and ems for margin-bottom. This gets me closest to the way I'd have designed for print, and I haven't run into any problems yet.
phillipgessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2015, 01:36 PM   #3
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks phillipgessert! I will experiment now that I know % can work.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:54 PM   #4
odamizu
just an egg

Looks like this is a Calibre issue rather than a mobi problem. When I tried KindleGen, everything works fine. I started a new thread in the Calibre forum: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=269358

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.