Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-17-2021, 10:48 PM   #16
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerociousNOOK View Post
I just back from B&N and the employees have a spec sheet for the Nook Glow Light 4. I got a peak and it's a 6" model but no release date yet.
Oh man! I wish I could see that spec sheet. I'm glad there will be a new 6" reader. I'll be happy with warm lighting and waterproofing.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 12:49 AM   #17
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneWhoReads View Post
Because I am not going to buy a device, Kobo, Nook, or otherwise, and not have complete control over it. I am more familiar with screwing around with nook Android, and have even developed little personal tools for use on it.
I have complete control over my Kindle, Kobo and Nook all. I open the cover and they come on and I read. I close the cover and they turn off. Complete control. I'm not interested in smaller than 8" on any future buys but will have to have that complete control on it (them?) also.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2021, 01:32 AM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Oh man! I wish I could see that spec sheet. I'm glad there will be a new 6" reader. I'll be happy with warm lighting and waterproofing.
It's was kind of frustrating to go down to Barnes & Noble only to run into an employee who had no idea that a new eReader was coming. But at least now we know it's going to be a 6" reader.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:03 AM   #19
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I don't think I'll ever buy another Nook, unless they come out with something truly innovative.

It's not that I regret buying the only Nook I have. I don't, because I was curious and I more or less knew what I'd get. But yeah, IMO the experience is pretty subpar compared to Kindle and Kobo.

Of course competition is good, but no one outside the US has probably ever heard of Nooks, or B&N for that matter. (Well, people in the UK might have heard about them).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:32 AM   #20
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
I'm sure it will be ready for Mother's Day.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2021, 11:09 AM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I don't think I'll ever buy another Nook, unless they come out with something truly innovative.

It's not that I regret buying the only Nook I have. I don't, because I was curious and I more or less knew what I'd get. But yeah, IMO the experience is pretty subpar compared to Kindle and Kobo.
I appreciate Nooks more for their unique hardware than the software.

Their only dud for me was the Nook Glowlight. But the original Nook, the ST (with and without Glowlight) the 2015 Glowlight Plus, the Glowlight 3... all of them are entirely different than what the competition was offering at the time.

Aside from storage space, my 2015 Glowlight Plus was as good as the Paperwhite 4 released in 2018, and it had better build quality.

Software is where the Nook is a letdown. Kobo and Kindle definitely offer more features. Though, TBH I've noticed I don't use those features much.

I currently read on a Nook STwG, a Nook Glowlight Plus and a Kobo Clara HD. I like them all, but don't prefer one over the other.
Old 11-18-2021, 11:09 AM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just curious, what innovations are you looking for? I like a good screen and, in my opinion, the Glowlight 3 has the best "warm" screen made. If the Glowlight 4 has more font sizes in the "normal" range than the Glowlight 3, I may be interested.

Not that I need another eReader. Just happy that Nook will live on.
Old 11-18-2021, 11:16 AM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Just curious, what innovations are you looking for? I like a good screen and, in my opinion, the Glowlight 3 has the best "warm" screen made.
I agree there. The Glowlight 3 has a great screen and I love the warm light.

I don't talk about the Glowlight 3 much, because the better half snatched it and I only get to visit with it when I load books.

Quote:
If the Glowlight 4 has more font sizes in the "normal" range than the Glowlight 3, I may be interested.
That should be fixable via firmware. Both Glowlight Pluses and the 3 receive similar firmware updates. Hopefully that will continue with the 4.

I really with there was an email or something where you could submit software suggestions to the Nook devs.

Quote:
Not that I need another eReader. Just happy that Nook will live on.
I don't either. But I will admit, the Glowlight 4 has me very curious.
Old 11-18-2021, 11:59 AM   #24
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just curious, what innovations are you looking for?
If I knew, I could patent them.

Seriously, it must be something pretty revolutionary in ergonomics or screen quality or software, to make me buy a new Nook.

My top complaints about the current Nooks are:
  • The only Nook with a larger screen than 6'' is considerably heavier than anything the competitors offer
  • It's sloooooow
  • No custom fonts
  • No suitable font sizes, forcing you to jump through hoops and embed them
  • No option to customize the page refresh (I want it to be every page, to retain the best contrast)
  • Did I mention slow?
The rest I can live with. Still, the latest Kobos with their Carta 1200 screens weigh less than the 7.8'' Nook (I'm not interested in a 6'' reader), have better contrast and better ergonomics, are faster (at least the Sage is) and a hundred times more customizable. And work with Calibre. The Kindle Oasis also is more lightweight, faster and more customizable. There are no advantages to the Nooks, unless you count the buttons on both sides of the screen (and the traditional shape for those wanting it, which doesn't include me).
Old 11-19-2021, 03:37 PM   #25
FerociousNOOK
FerociousNOOK began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST Glowlight
Arrow

It was an informational thing for employees and they are hesitant to let me look at it, wish I could have taken a pic. I did not see any hardware specs, only 6" and I think the weight was 4.7oz.

Quote:
FerociousNOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:00 AM   #26
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerociousNOOK View Post
It was an informational thing for employees and they are hesitant to let me look at it, wish I could have taken a pic. I did not see any hardware specs, only 6" and I think the weight was 4.7oz.
I went back to B&N today (my son wanted to look at some manga books) and I was able to confirm that the Glowlight 4 was "mentioned" in a meeting about a week earlier. I felt like I was industrial spy or something the way she said, "Why, why do you want to know?" I said because someone on a forum mentioned that in their B&N store there was a sign saying "ask about the Glowlight 4." That was when she confirmed that such a device existed and that it was mentioned in a meeting about a week earlier.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:17 AM   #27
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
My top complaints about the current Nooks are:
  • The only Nook with a larger screen than 6'' is considerably heavier than anything the competitors offer
  • It's sloooooow
  • No custom fonts
  • No suitable font sizes, forcing you to jump through hoops and embed them
  • No option to customize the page refresh (I want it to be every page, to retain the best contrast)
  • Did I mention slow?
The rest I can live with. Still, the latest Kobos with their Carta 1200 screens weigh less than the 7.8'' Nook (I'm not interested in a 6'' reader), have better contrast and better ergonomics, are faster (at least the Sage is) and a hundred times more customizable. And work with Calibre. The Kindle Oasis also is more lightweight, faster and more customizable. There are no advantages to the Nooks, unless you count the buttons on both sides of the screen (and the traditional shape for those wanting it, which doesn't include me).
I don't have (or want) an 8" Nook Glowlight, but the weight of the Glowlight 3 is well balanced, in my opinion. It's easy to hold. Speed is not an issue for me with the GL 3. I've heard this complaint before, but I haven't really noticed it. I would like custom fonts — though that wouldn't be an innovation — but I am getting used to the Georgia font in "thick" mode. And I definitely do wish there were more font sizes in the range where most people read. But not really an innovation just a "fix" in my mind.

I'm not sure why a 6.8" reader should weigh less than a 7.8" reader. But I know almost nothing about the 7.8" Glowlight Plus. Just that it's too big to capture my interest. But I do like that both current Glowlights with two sets of page turn buttons. I don't customize. I used to do that with the Kobos, but I got tired of tinkering with my eReader. Besides, the main reasons I tinkered was because of issues Kobo has (mostly) fixed on their own now. My Glowlight 3 works fine with Calibre. And I do like the buttons on both sides of the screen and the traditional shape. (I hope the Glowlight 4 doesn't screw this up.)

But most of all, the screen is the star of the Nook Glowlight 3 show. Just a better warm light than any other I've seen. And the screen is the most important to me. (I also hope they don't screw up with the Glowlight 4.)

Not running down the Kobos. The Clara HD is very nice and evenly lit — I just wish its color tones matched the Glowlight 3's.
Old 11-20-2021, 03:27 AM   #28
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't have (or want) an 8" Nook Glowlight, but the weight of the Glowlight 3 is well balanced, in my opinion. It's easy to hold. Speed is not an issue for me with the GL 3. I've heard this complaint before, but I haven't really noticed it. I would like custom fonts — though that wouldn't be an innovation — but I am getting used to the Georgia font in "thick" mode. And I definitely do wish there were more font sizes in the range where most people read. But not really an innovation just a "fix" in my mind.

I'm not sure why a 6.8" reader should weigh less than a 7.8" reader. But I know almost nothing about the 7.8" Glowlight Plus. Just that it's too big to capture my interest. But I do like that both current Glowlights with two sets of page turn buttons. I don't customize. I used to do that with the Kobos, but I got tired of tinkering with my eReader. Besides, the main reasons I tinkered was because of issues Kobo has (mostly) fixed on their own now. My Glowlight 3 works fine with Calibre. And I do like the buttons on both sides of the screen and the traditional shape. (I hope the Glowlight 4 doesn't screw this up.)

But most of all, the screen is the star of the Nook Glowlight 3 show. Just a better warm light than any other I've seen. And the screen is the most important to me. (I also hope they don't screw up with the Glowlight 4.)

Not running down the Kobos. The Clara HD is very nice and evenly lit — I just wish its color tones matched the Glowlight 3's.
By "work with Calibre" I meant things like automatic series and collection management, and updating metadata without having to send the book over again. Nooks don't do that. Neither do Kindles, of course.

Unlike you and I guess Zod, I'm very fussy about fonts, font sizes, font weight, text contrast, text layout and so on. That's why I'll never be satisfied with a Nook as it is now. I don't tinker constantly with my Kobos or Kindles; I have a definite set of preferences and once I've set things up as I like them I rarely touch the settings again. The problem is that I can't really set things up as I like on my Nook and so feel constantly somewhat dissatisfied and frustrated when using it.

As to weight, yep, the 7.8'' Nook is heavy. It's quite a lot heavier than the 8'' Sage, to say nothing of the Forma and the Libra. That's not good ergonomics by any yardstick.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:32 AM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
By "work with Calibre" I meant things like automatic series and collection management, and updating metadata without having to send the book over again. Nooks don't do that. Neither do Kindles, of course.
I also would like if collections and series could be handled on Calibre.

Honestly, I don't use either much on my Kobo. But a little OCD part of myself is frustrated to know the Nook can handle series, but it isn't available for sideloaded books as the database isn't accessible by Calibre.

Quote:
Unlike you and I guess Zod, I'm very fussy about fonts, font sizes, font weight, text contrast, text layout and so on. That's why I'll never be satisfied with a Nook as it is now.
I wouldn't mind more font sizes. I wouldn't mind if Nook wholesale stole Kobo's TypeGenius engine. But Kobo is also known for not rendering fonts so well with their preferred format. And I have never heard a claim that ePubs on a Kobo have superior font rendering to a Nook.

But text layout on my Nooks is way better than it is on my Kobo (using kepubs, I haven't used ePubs on Kobo). Layout is also better than what I remember seeing on Kindles.

I'm sure the text layout has more to do with Adobe than some Barnes and Noble magic, but you can't fault layout on a Nook.

And the screen of the Glowlight 3 is superior to my Clara, so text contrast is better there too. My older Glowlight Plus nad my Clara have screens of about the same quality.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:57 PM   #30
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I also would like if collections and series could be handled on Calibre.

Honestly, I don't use either much on my Kobo. But a little OCD part of myself is frustrated to know the Nook can handle series, but it isn't available for sideloaded books as the database isn't accessible by Calibre.

I wouldn't mind more font sizes. I wouldn't mind if Nook wholesale stole Kobo's TypeGenius engine. But Kobo is also known for not rendering fonts so well with their preferred format. And I have never heard a claim that ePubs on a Kobo have superior font rendering to a Nook.

But text layout on my Nooks is way better than it is on my Kobo (using kepubs, I haven't used ePubs on Kobo). Layout is also better than what I remember seeing on Kindles.

I'm sure the text layout has more to do with Adobe than some Barnes and Noble magic, but you can't fault layout on a Nook.

And the screen of the Glowlight 3 is superior to my Clara, so text contrast is better there too. My older Glowlight Plus nad my Clara have screens of about the same quality.
I think I expressed myself badly. I'm not a typography nut; by being fussy about fonts and layout I meant being able to use a specific sideloaded font and customize things like losing header and footer. Those things you can do even on a Kindle, but not on a Nook.

The thing about contrast is that without full refresh every page the contrast deteriorates quickly (on any ereader). I guess most people don't notice it, but I do and it bothers me. I compared my Nook to my Sage, for example. Right after full refresh on the Nook the difference in contrast wasn't that significant; a couple of pages in and the contrast on the Nook was considerably poorer than on the Sage (which is set to refresh every page). I just can't not see this.

I realize all this sounds like nitpicking. As I said, I have a specific set of preferences and without being able to use several of my preferences on the Nook, I feel constant frustration every time I read on the Nook. Low-key frustration, but still. At first I thought I would get over it, but I didn't. It's like a minor toothache.

Tags
nook