Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-03-2020, 11:01 AM   #166
CCRocks
CCRocks began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
JSWolf,

Do you have any versions of the ChareInk font that are Medium or Semi-Bold?

You're font is my favorite.

I use it on my Kindle PaperWhite.
CCRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #167
CCRocks
CCRocks began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
JSWolf, one more thing.

Do you have any experience using the your Font on a Kindle device?

If so, what have you found the be the settings as far as font size, boldness, and spacing that you think make the font most pleasing.

I know its always a matter of opinion, but I am just curious.
CCRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2020, 12:07 PM   #168
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
I tried this font for the first time today on my Kobo Aura One, and I think it may be a new favorite beside Bookerly and Literata Book!
Love it! 😊
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:31 PM   #169
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRocks View Post
JSWolf, one more thing.

Do you have any experience using the your Font on a Kindle device?

If so, what have you found the be the settings as far as font size, boldness, and spacing that you think make the font most pleasing.

I know its always a matter of opinion, but I am just curious.
Yes, I've used ChareInk on a Kindle. As to font size and boldness, that's a personal choice. Try the hinted unweighted version and then try the hinted weighted version. Play around with the font settings and see which one your prefer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:35 PM   #170
jeff47
Connoisseur
jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kobo Libre H20
I've been using this on my Libra with ePubs. Out of curiosity, I converted one of my ePubs to kepub - and ChareInk looks totally different! The size was much smaller, which is fine, but the weight was also much heavier - almost bold - compared to what I saw in the ePub version of the same book.

Is anyone familiar with this issue? I really don't like the appearance of ChareInk in the kepub but it's my favorite otherwise. I don't understand why it looks different...
jeff47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2020, 09:02 PM   #171
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I think Kobos use a different rendering engine for KEPUBs than they do for regular EPUB
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:12 PM   #172
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I think Kobos use a different rendering engine for KEPUBs than they do for regular EPUB
They use Adobe's RMSDK renderer for epub2 files and a webkit based renderer for .kepub.epub epub3 files.

RMSDK is still needed for Adobe's ADEPT DRM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:20 PM   #173
jeff47
Connoisseur
jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!jeff47 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
They use Adobe's RMSDK renderer for epub2 files and a webkit based renderer for .kepub.epub epub3 files.

RMSDK is still needed for Adobe's ADEPT DRM.
I know nothing of hinting, kerning, etc - but is one of the ChareInk versions better for webkit-based rendering?
Old 11-29-2020, 06:45 AM   #174
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff47 View Post
I know nothing of hinting, kerning, etc - but is one of the ChareInk versions better for webkit-based rendering?
Try the two hinted versions and see how that goes. Do you have the patch to allow advanced font control on side loaded fonts? If you do, the NoWeight version should work.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:32 AM   #175
jeff47
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try the two hinted versions and see how that goes. Do you have the patch to allow advanced font control on side loaded fonts? If you do, the NoWeight version should work.
I don't recall whether I'm using NoWeight or not. I did patch for Advanced Font Control, as well as to standardize font sizes between ePub and kepub and turn on constant sharpness.

I think I need to check a few more ebooks. I tried a new one last night and ChareInk looked better, so there could be an oddity with the ebook I was looking at - either a conversion issue or something else.

Thanks for the nice work - I loved this font even before I discovered your version.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:12 PM   #176
Poorchop
Poorchop began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for creating these fonts. I have been going a bit overboard the past few days trying to find the perfect font on my e-reader but I have pretty much settled on ChareInk and Charter as my main fonts. I think that you did a good job with your changes.
Poorchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 04:52 PM   #177
black
Banned
black began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox, Libra 2
Hi JSWolf,

I just found this wondeful font. It works like a treat on my new Kobo Sage.
Many thanks!

I have a little bit difficulties in evaluating these 4 fonts because they have the same font name.
Would it be possible to make them having different names. That way, I can load them all in my Kobo and switch them on the fly to evaluate.
black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 05:28 PM   #178
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorchop View Post
Thanks for creating these fonts. I have been going a bit overboard the past few days trying to find the perfect font on my e-reader but I have pretty much settled on ChareInk and Charter as my main fonts. I think that you did a good job with your changes.
Your very welcome.
Old 01-29-2022, 05:29 PM   #179
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by black View Post
Hi JSWolf,

I just found this wondeful font. It works like a treat on my new Kobo Sage.
Many thanks!

I have a little bit difficulties in evaluating these 4 fonts because they have the same font name.
Would it be possible to make them having different names. That way, I can load them all in my Kobo and switch them on the fly to evaluate.
I'll have to install a font forge and then I can change the internal names. I'll most likely do so on Monday or Tuesday.
Old 02-04-2022, 02:32 AM   #180
black
Banned
black began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox, Libra 2
Oh, That would be wonderful.
black is offline   Reply With Quote