Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 05-22-2016, 02:22 AM   #16
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Thank you for the reply. Went to the AppStore and saw that the current version is 2.8.5 (or something like that) if I purchase that will I get the upgrade to 3.0, or should I wait until it is available?

As for tategaki books I will see what I have available when I come home. Most of them are from Sony's Japanese Store and they are DRMed, and I don't know that Alf's Tools will deal with those (I've so far only read them on my Sony or Sony apps, but now that I need better annotation it becomes a problem). Another problem with Sony books is that they use file names that look like tokens. It is really difficult to find the right file for a certain book.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:14 AM   #17
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Unless you have iOS 6/7/8 devices, I'd wait. Keep in mind that Marvin doesn't open DRMed books.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2016, 09:55 AM   #18
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
Unless you have iOS 6/7/8 devices, I'd wait. Keep in mind that Marvin doesn't open DRMed books.
I didn't expect it to. I have an iPad Pro 9.7 running iOS 9.3.1 (yes, I avoided the bricking debacle) that is why I will look after a book from some other platform than Sony's.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:41 PM   #19
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I didn't expect it to. I have an iPad Pro 9.7 running iOS 9.3.1 (yes, I avoided the bricking debacle) that is why I will look after a book from some other platform than Sony's.

I thought that Sony sold off it's ebook store.

I use Marvin in conjunction with Calibre and Apprentice Alf/Harper to read all my ebooks. Just remove the DRM and convert to epub. I have Amazon and Sony books, as well as Baen and PD books that didn't start life with DRM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:28 PM   #20
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I thought that Sony sold off it's ebook store.

I use Marvin in conjunction with Calibre and Apprentice Alf/Harper to read all my ebooks. Just remove the DRM and convert to epub. I have Amazon and Sony books, as well as Baen and PD books that didn't start life with DRM.
Only in the U.S., my needs are specific to Japanese tategaki books. They still sell those in Japan.
Apprentice Harper is a new acquaintance, never had the pleasure. I assume Google is my friend if I want to meet him?

Advert
Old 05-22-2016, 10:36 PM   #21
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Only in the U.S., my needs are specific to Japanese tategaki books. They still sell those in Japan.
Apprentice Harper is a new acquaintance, never had the pleasure. I assume Google is my friend if I want to meet him?

Yep, Google is your friend. You will see Apprentice Harper mentioned on the DRM thread on the general discussion forum. He took over for Apprentice Alf. Hum, do they even use DRM for kanji books?

I guess you can download Marvin, try to load a book and see what happens.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:54 PM   #22
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Are you saying that Alf has retired?

Old 05-23-2016, 12:40 AM   #23
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
To echo what Vega said, M3 is astonishingly rich in features, and they all seem to work just fine. I haven't found anything close to a serious bug - just a few cosmetic niggles. For something of this scope, that is an extraordinary achievement. Well done, Kris!
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:02 AM   #24
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Are you saying that Alf has retired?

I think he retired for a while then came back. Like I said, there is a thread on the main discussion board about DRM. That's where I get most of my information.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:06 AM   #25
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Kumabjorn In that case you should wait. You'll be able to try out every single feature in M3 before buying to make sure it works for you.

@ChristopherTD Thanks!
Old 05-23-2016, 09:56 AM   #26
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
@Kumabjorn In that case you should wait. You'll be able to try out every single feature in M3 before buying to make sure it works for you.

@ChristopherTD Thanks!
Thanks, I'll do that. Assume it will be announced here when ready.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:43 AM   #27
kguil
Addict

It most certainly will.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:52 PM   #28
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
To echo what Vega said, M3 is astonishingly rich in features, and they all seem to work just fine. I haven't found anything close to a serious bug - just a few cosmetic niggles.

My initial impression is different, unfortunately. However, that's what a Beta-testing process is intended for, and I'm confident that together with Kris and all the Beta-testers, we can help ensure that Marvin 3 will indeed be an improvement over Marvin 2.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:57 PM   #29
ParadiseLost
Enthusiast
ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: None
Is there to be a new fee for version 3?
ParadiseLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:26 AM   #30
sydmalicious
Cantankerous Contrarian
sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MapleRead, iPad Pro 12.9" 2018, iPhone 12 Pro, Kobo Forma 32gb
Definitely what Vega said @kguil. I don't own an app that is as buttery smooth and feature rich as this. Like I said on another thread, you have no competition.

That said I do have some suggestions. I'll email them to you. For now, on my side of the pond, it is 3:30 am and I'm cuddled up with a nice audiobook and I'm going to sleep.

Seriously great work, @kguil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
sydmalicious is offline   Reply With Quote