Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-26-2018, 10:10 AM   #2716
Rickkins
Groupie
Rickkins began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite G000PP(5.10.0.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post

Excellent, thanks mate...
Rickkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:36 PM   #2717
audioman42
audioman42 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@audioman42: Mmmaybe? It's been so long that I honestly don't remember which broke what, but according to my notes in the Fonts Hack, possibly?

Note that the old, old USE_ALT_FONTS trick is *nowhere* near as polished as the custom fonts support added in FW 5.9.7 that you experienced on the PW3.
I didn't even know there was another way to add fonts besides the USE_ALT_FONTS method. I'll read through your "FW 5.3.x - 5.7.x Fonts Hack" post and see if that does the trick. Thanks!
audioman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:45 PM   #2718
dsteele
dsteele began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Collections not working

Hi,

I tried using the instructions for creating Collections within Calibre and then exporting them to Kindle, but it doesn't seem to work. I tried two methods: the first was trying to create a custom column and then filling it out, customizing so that they are set to create, then clicking create on Kindle. I tried ejecting and disconnecting my kindle to then restart multiple times and it did not work. The second was trying to create automatic collections using tags. Also did not work.

In both methods, Calibre tells me the correct collections were created, but when I go through the methods to check Kindle, they are not there.

What am I doing wrong? Does my Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018) need to be jailbroken for this to work?

Keep in mind, I have successfully copied my books to my calibre library to edit all the metadata, and then copied it back to my Kindle and that worked fine.

Any help is appreciated!
dsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:55 PM   #2719
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteele View Post
I tried using the instructions for creating Collections within Calibre and then exporting them to Kindle, but it doesn't seem to work.

What am I doing wrong? Does my Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018) need to be jailbroken for this to work?
Yes, jailbreak is required.

Also, this thread is for older devices and firmware versions.

Instructions for PW4 are here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=312489

JB method only works on stock firmware 5.10.0.1 and 5.10.0.2. It won't work if you've updated either manually or automatically.

After JB, you'd need to install the JB hotfix, MRPI, KUAL coplate build, python and LibrarianSync.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:08 AM   #2720
dipeste
dipeste began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Hi. when updating my kindle paperwhite 2 to version 5.10.2.1, in the process of restarting the device, the word "bridge" appears in the lower area of the screen. Does this mean that I can jailbreak my device?
dipeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:51 AM   #2721
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipeste View Post
Hi. when updating my kindle paperwhite 2 to version 5.10.2.1, in the process of restarting the device, the word "bridge" appears in the lower area of the screen. Does this mean that I can jailbreak my device?
That means your device is already jailbroken and the feature that propagates that over a firmware update has done its job. You now need to reinstall any enhancements you are using to be able to use them again.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:05 AM   #2722
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You'll do need to reinstall the JB hotfix first, though, especially if the device was originally jailbroken more than a couple months ago .

(Because of my 5.10 snafu ^^).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:02 PM   #2723
dipeste
dipeste began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
You'll do need to reinstall the JB hotfix first, though, especially if the device was originally jailbroken more than a couple months ago .

(Because of my 5.10 snafu ^^).
Thanks.
dipeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:02 AM   #2724
Rurounixken
Rurounixken began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PPW 2
Hey guys, i'm having a Kindle Paperwhite 2 with FW version:

Firmware Version: Kindle 5.8.2.1 (3045660001)

Is my Paperwhite able to jailbreak? Please give me hope
Rurounixken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:34 AM   #2725
J5bz
J5bz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'J5bz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'J5bz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'J5bz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'J5bz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'J5bz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'J5bz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'J5bz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'J5bz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'J5bz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'J5bz knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: PW4
Dear NiLuJe,
I'm trying to install hotfix to my Kindle PW4 but it fails with an error "Update Error - An Invalid update has been loaded".
My PW4 factory firmware is 5.10.1.3, and serial is start with G000T3.
It's 32GB, 4G support, no ads, bought from JP Amazon.
Please make this serial supported. Thank you.
J5bz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:01 PM   #2726
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@J5bz: Yep, that one was unknown, I'll post updated packages in a bit, thanks .

EDIT: Done. Hotfix & snapshots repackaged.
EDIT²: And KUAL Booklet.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-29-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:33 AM   #2727
aradhya214
aradhya214 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite PW1
Hi, I've a Kindle Paperwhite 1st generation. I successfully jail-breaked by downgrading to FW 5.3.3 from FW 5.6.1 and was able to install the various hacks. However, it seems that Amazon has stopped registering devices below FW 5.6.1 and hence I'm not able to register the Kindle. I've tried manual updating to 5.6.1 but it just doesn't works. There are no errors/issue whilst updating but the firmware stays at 5.3.3. Is there a way that I'm missing or is that the FW will stay at 5.3.3 post jail-breaking?
aradhya214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:42 AM   #2728
NiLuJe
BLAM!

You're doing something wrong.

FW 5.6.1.1 is a full update, so, either it goes through (slowly), or it doesn't at all, or it fails in between and you get a brick .

Either way, you end up with sensible feedback (i.e., success, error, progress bar).
Old 06-02-2019, 02:01 AM   #2729
aradhya214
aradhya214 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite PW1
Tried updating/restarting many times however no luck. Even tried to do it after force shutdown by pressing power button for long duration. I can see the progress bar during start-up, the message "Please wait while your Kindle starts" and the boy under the tree screen. The only other message that pops up is "Cover mode setup". I don't see any Kindle is updating message.

Is the issue related to me installing the jbpatch and doing the reset device? Any work around/suggestions?
aradhya214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:57 AM   #2730
NiLuJe
BLAM!

You're either not putting the right file in the right place, or you're doing something else obviously wrong, or your OS/device is being extra sneaky and screwing things up for you.

1. Download FW 5.6.1.1 from the Amazon Kindle Software Update page
2. Plug device over USB
3. Copy said update file to the root of the device
4. Unplug
5. Settings > Update Your Kindle

If it's grayed out, you did something wrong.

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch