Notices

Old 09-14-2021, 11:40 AM   #1
ebookscovers
Enthusiast
ebookscovers began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad mini 2
ePub interior cover issue

Hi

I’m trying to solve a small issue within any given ebook.

At the beginning of an ebook I always insert the cover on page one. I use QuarkXpress for the layout and ebook conversion to ePub and then tidy it up in Sigil. However I find the cover from page 1 is repeated when I view in Adobe digital editions, iBooks or in Sigil on page 2. I wanted to remove the repeated cover so I delete the html file that includes the 2nd cover. I done this by unzipping the file. When I open the file in ADE its fine as always. However when I open it in iBooks as a test it says the file is corrupted. This only happens to the ebook after I delete the html file associated with the 2nd cover. Any way around this?
David
ebookscovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:44 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Delete the file when loaded in Sigil or some other editor, so it can update the OPF properly.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2021, 12:18 PM   #3
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookscovers View Post
Hi

I’m trying to solve a small issue within any given ebook.

At the beginning of an ebook I always insert the cover on page one. I use QuarkXpress for the layout and ebook conversion to ePub and then tidy it up in Sigil. However I find the cover from page 1 is repeated when I view in Adobe digital editions, iBooks or in Sigil on page 2. I wanted to remove the repeated cover so I delete the html file that includes the 2nd cover. I done this by unzipping the file. When I open the file in ADE its fine as always. However when I open it in iBooks as a test it says the file is corrupted. This only happens to the ebook after I delete the html file associated with the 2nd cover. Any way around this?
David
Try to apply the correct semantic. When you open the epub in Sigil, apply to the cover page the semantic "cover" (right click over the Cover.xhtml file —or the name you choosed— Add Semantics... > Cover).
Also add the proper semantic to the image you use as cover (right click on the respective image and select Cover Image). If you do all that, the double page displayed under ADE should desapear.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:28 PM   #4
MicroDrie
Connoisseur
MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, Linux Mint, Tablet, and Telephone
Quote:
At the beginning of an ebook I always insert the cover on page one. I use QuarkXpress for the layout and ebook conversion to ePub and then tidy it up in Sigil.
It's a bit like "Why make it difficult when it can be even more difficult and incomplete?". Sigil has a function that can automatically add the first cover page and put it neatly in the spine in the EPUB build file content.opf. If you unzip the EPUB and then delete a file, the spider still points to the deleted file with the corruption message as a result. You're already using Sigil anyway, so why put the first front page with what you want, throw out what you don't need, save the EPUB, and you're done?
MicroDrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:18 AM   #5
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
At the beginning of an ebook I always insert the cover on page one. I use QuarkXpress for the layout and ebook conversion to ePub and then tidy it up in Sigil.
Open the book in Sigil, delete both cover pages. Use Sigil's Tools/Add cover to select the cover image and make a new cover. It will make all the semantics right.
Look at the TOC and if it lists the cover (not required, but often done) make sure it links to this new cover page.
If it's an epub3, under Tools/epub3 tools use "Generate NCX from NAV". You need to do that any time you change the TOC.
And if you have any other links to the cover, update those too.

In general, use epubcheck to check and give hints (often obscure) to any errors in the book.
Install the plugin, much easier than uploading to get checked.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...25#post2950625
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert