Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-30-2017, 01:44 PM   #1
Paperwhitey
Paperwhitey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Post How to access Highlights/Clippings.txt without access to Kindle?

Hello folks,

Been lurking these forums once in a while, and I see that there's a lot of really clever e-reader geeks out here, so I hope you guys/gals could help me out with this one.

I make a lot of highlights on my own documents (sideloaded as well as sent to my Kindle over email) when using my Kindle Paperwhite, which I then extract using the MyClippings.txt file after connecting the Kindle to my PC using USB.

Unfortunately, my Kindle is no longer being recognized by any computer. I've tried everything from resetting, to buying new cables to using different computers, and after 2 hours of chats with Amazon support, they determined it's software issue that they could only fix if I sent it in, and I don't have any warranty.

Now since I use Whispersync, I was thinking it should theoretically be possible to somehow get access to the MyClippings file wirelessly. The Kindle for Android app (somehow not the Kindle for PC app though) still shows documents on my kindle, plus the highlights, so the information is out there in cloud, right?

I've been searching all over for a solution, but all I can find is people telling me to go to kindle.amazon.com, which doesn't show document highlights, or to get the myclippings.txt file from my Kindle, which I can't access over USB anymore.

Thank you for any ideas!
Paperwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:14 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I have a couple links for you, but i don't know they will help.
http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/0...d-export-them/
and
http://the-digital-reader.com/2017/0...es-highlights/

My concern is that I don't know how you loaded the ebooks onto the Kindle.If you loaded them over USB then the highlights only exit on the Kindle and nowhere else.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2017, 06:22 PM   #3
Paperwhitey
Paperwhitey began at the beginning.

Nate, you are pretty Great! You know I read through that page already twice, but somehow I completely read over the very nifty option in the Android app where you can export notes made on emailed documents and share them on Dropbox. I'll resign myself to losing the notes from the docs I sideloaded, but at least I have an option going forward (as long as there isn't an irreperable software issue with whispersync/wifi in the future.. knock wood).

I'm still a little annoyed that I can't access Kindle anymore at all or sideload anything. Is this a common software issue with older Kindles?
Paperwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:09 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's certainly not a common issue. It sounds far more likely to me to be a hardware problem with the Kindle's USB port than to be software related.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:20 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperwhitey View Post
- - - -
I'm still a little annoyed that I can't access Kindle anymore at all or sideload anything. Is this a common software issue with older Kindles?
No.
It is a problem with your Kindle.

Leave it on a wall charger for at least a full day, see if the problem clears up.
(It may be doing something very time consuming, like trying to re-build a file system.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2017, 06:47 AM   #6
kenti
kenti began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
same problem

Hi. I have the same problem. I cannot connect the paperwhite with usb anymore. The Kindle can be charged with usb, but it is not recognized as a device by the computer (I tried different cables, different computers).
Around 300 books are on it, with a lot of highlights and notes (last backup 4 months ago). I need to access to my clippings.txt, but how ?
There must be a solution because the Kindle can still connect to wifi and receive ebooks. So how to browse the Kindle through wifi?
It seems crazy that Amazon doesn't give any solution.
What happens to the customers when the usb connector is broken?
We lose all the books, highlights and notes?

Any workaround ?

Thanks.
kenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:24 AM   #7
Maslerh
Maslerh began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
No.
It is a problem with your Kindle.

Leave it on a wall charger for at least a full day, see if the problem clears up.
(It may be doing something very time consuming, like trying to re-build a file system.)
Now, the question remains
Maslerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:49 AM   #8
Atrusty
Atrusty began at the beginning.

Smile

On my Kindle Paperwhite, the Experimental browser was able to open my Yahoo emailbox over wifi, create a new email & attach a file to it. You could send your clippings file to your PC in this way.

Hope this helped.
Atrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:14 AM   #9
greentea
greentea began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Seriously? Re-building a file system? Even if the Kindle is otherwise fully functional? I have to try this, I have one PW2 with the same problem - not seen by PC anymore. Otherwise TOP condition and fully functional, FW updated via WiFi lately, still not recognized...
greentea is offline   Reply With Quote