Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 09-13-2021, 03:47 PM   #3226
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
  • Dana Stabenow, read by Marguerite Gavin
  • Martin Walker (Bruno, Chief of Police), read by Robert Ian MacKenzie
  • Elizabeth Peters, read by Barbara Rosenblat
  • Jaqueline Winspear, read by Orlagh Cassidy
  • Michael Connelly, read by several depending on series
  • Georges Simenon, read by Gareth Armstrong
I've read one of Stabenow's SF books, and I just finished one of the Kate Shugak books. The Shugak wasn't bad, I may try another soon.
Connelly, well, yeah, this is all to slake my Harry Bosch thirst until the next book comes out in, I think, November! I'm also caught up on his Renee Ballard books. I might try one of his non-cop series.

Never heard of the others, I'll check them out.

I also was thinking of starting "Dog on It: A Chet and Bernie Mystery" by Spencer Quinn, which I found in my Audible Library, likely also from some deal posted here on MR. Unless the story proves otherwise, I won't count a dog as narrator as "fantastical or unrealistic."
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 04:30 PM   #3227
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
The Shugak books (and to a lesser extent, the Liam Campbell books) tend to build over time. While I've enjoyed them all, the one I am most likely to re-listen to is Breakup, number 9. It still has me laughing uncontrollably in spots, even though I know what's coming.

Martin Walker's Bruno, Chief of Police is the antithesis of Harry Bosch. (And, fwiw, I love both.) He's a village cop who's as much village social worker and chef as he is cop, but the flavour of the Dordogne is everywhere.

Simenon's Inspector Maigret is one you'll either like a lot, or not at all. Very French.

The Elizabeth Peters Amelia Peabody series are historical and quite amusing, while you'll learn a good bit about archeology.

The Jaqueline Winspear books are also historical, though all post WWI.

Another one you might consider are the Peter Robinson Inspector Banks series has several different narrators. My DW loves them, I've had problems getting too far into the series for some reason. Robinson is Canadian, but the books are set in the UK.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2021, 11:45 AM   #3228
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just finished "A Gift of Time" by Jerry Merritt, narrated by Christopher Lane.

It was surprisingly good. It made time travel technobabble, including use of the word "quantum", sound plausible, and it was a remarkably sweeping and varied plotline. I was also very impressed with the narration.

My library has "Bruno, Chief of Police" via Hoopla, so I might give that a shot next.

ETA: I also finished "Dog on It: A Chet and Bernie Mystery." It was adorable. I was frequently quoting some cute dog-ism from the narration to my family. The mystery itself was light and felt like a "B plot." In that sense it reminded me of the movie "Benji," where the kidnapping (or whatever the movie was ostensibly about) was clearly secondary to just watching Benji be smart and adorable.
I will probably try the next next book in the series if it comes my way, but I am concerned that if it sticks to a formula, it may wear thin pretty quickly. I hope Chet isn't a one-trick puppy.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 09-30-2021 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 12:57 PM   #3229
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Here are the last four audiobooks I read:
Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol (obtained from Hoopla, read by Nicholas Boulton). This book’s ending reminded me of a cross between Fyodor Dostoevsky’s Crime and Punishment and Frank R. Stockton’s The Lady and the Tiger. A little strange, but good.
I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life by Ed Yong (an Audible selection narrated by Charlie Anson). Read this book and you’ll never be lonely again.
Micromegas by Voltaire (Audible Original: Bedtime Story read by Prentice Onayemi). Micromegas was a repeat of a story I first read in an ebook collection. Love the story, but the narrator’s delivery made it difficult to stay awake. I can't complain, considering that it’s part of an Audible collection of stories meant to help people sleep, but I got it because it was a free Audible Plus selection and wasn’t interested in the sedative effects.
Murder by Misrule by Anna Castle (a 99¢ Chirp bargain when I bought it, read by Joel Froomkin) was a quite fun whodunnit featuring a team of amateur sleuths led by none other than Sir Francis Bacon. A few liberties were taken with the actual history of the period, as the author herself reveals in the postscript, but not so many that it spoiled the story.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 02:56 PM   #3230
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Frank R. Stockton’s The Lady and the Tiger.
AAAAARRGH! I remember my first encounter with that story in grade school. It revealed how much I hated ambiguity at the time, and I've hated ambiguity ever since. It traumatized me. It's probably why I don't even like cliffhangers.
I need endings to my stories. Preferably happy ones.
Advert
Old 11-09-2021, 10:16 PM   #3231
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
After Children of Ruin, I dove a little deeper into Adrian Tchaikovsky's work with his 10-volume Shadows of the Apt series, which is entirely different. This guy knows how to dig into a premise. The setting is steampunk-adjacent, with the author's usual entomological fascination: various "kinden" with powers and ethnic features derived from their arthropod totems face a Nazi-ish threat from the expanding wasp-kinden empire, leading to an alliance of the technologically gifted "Apt" with the fallen masters of the "Age of Lore," which has largely faded into myth.

It's epic fantasy, fellowship and all, with gunpowder, ornithopters and airships (and also various bug-powers which don't count as magic, because who believes in magic?). Ben Allen's narration is excellent with the increasingly sprawling cast of characters.

I'm in book three now, and thoroughly hooked on the characters and how magic and technology will come to terms in this world.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 02:41 PM   #3232
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Currently listening to Rick Mercer's memoir, Talking to Canadians, narrated by the author. This is definitely going on my "Best books of 2021" list. Funny, even if you aren't a Canadian, and often laugh out loud even though you're in a public place with earbuds in funny. While also giving the listener a good understanding of the forces that shaped him. Unlike previous books, this is NOT just a re-hash of his Rick Mercer Report rants, but an actual memoir. Highly recommended.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:25 AM   #3233
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I ran across audiobooks for Dorothy Gilman’s Mrs. Polllifax series at Hoopla. I’d read some of these back in the day; I remembered them as charming, but lost interest after a few. It struck me as a good late night listen and it was. Barbara Rosenblat does an excellent job of the narration, with one caveat: no 63-year old (or older) woman I know talks in such a quavery old lady voice. It was particular annoying in that an explicitly 63-year old male character sounded hale and hearty. Sigh. Still, it didn’t spoil the fun and I shall listen to more.

Last edited by issybird; 11-18-2021 at 09:43 AM.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:00 PM   #3234
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I ran across audiobooks for Dorothy Gilman’s Mrs. Polllifax series at Hoopla. I’d read some of these back in the day; I remembered them as charming, but lost interest after a few. It struck me as a good late night listen and it was. Barbara Rosenblat does an excellent job of the narration, with one caveat: no 63-year old (or older) woman I know talks in such a quavery old lady voice. It was particular annoying in that an explicitly 63-year old male character sounded hale and hearty. Sigh. Still, it didn’t spoil the fun and I shall listen to more.
Overdrive has a dozen of the Mrs. Pollifax audiobooks in its catalog.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:56 PM   #3235
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Overdrive has a dozen of the Mrs. Pollifax audiobooks in its catalog.
I should check OverDrive for books like this. Hoopla has the allure of the instantly accessible as I toss and turn in the wee hours, but the OD app is better. In any case, it’s good to know there’s another source; I can check for current availability and for titles Hoopla doesn’t carry. Thanks.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:52 PM   #3236
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Vixen by Francine Prose was a HUGE disappointment. I had expected to like a novel about a young man tasked with editing an awful bodice-ripper based on the case of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg. I didn't.

Supposedly parts of The Vixen were wildly funny. I must have missed them, though perhaps I did smile halfheartedly a few times. The hero was annoying (the tone adopted by the narrator, Tristan Morris, may have emphasized that quality), as was every other character, with the possible exception of his parents.

I would have preferred to read the book within the book--the bodice-ripper entitled The Vixen, the Patriot, and the Fanatic--as the excerpts from that were at least interesting.

The only reason I do not totally resent the time I spent listening to The Vixen is that I prepped for it by listening to Anne Sebba's new biography Ethel Rosenberg, which was excellent.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:13 PM   #3237
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

First book of 2022 finished, and it was a wow: Great Circle by Maggie Shipstead. I almost want to read it all over again immediately, because I don't want to leave the characters and their world. This is a terrific book.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:13 PM   #3238
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
First book of 2022 finished, and it was a wow: Great Circle by Maggie Shipstead. I almost want to read it all over again immediately, because I don't want to leave the characters and their world. This is a terrific book.
You've convinced me. I just downloaded it, but I have a long TBR list, so I don't know when I'll get to it.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:56 PM   #3239
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
You've convinced me. I just downloaded it, but I have a long TBR list, so I don't know when I'll get to it.
I hope you like it. FYI, there's a Maggie Shipstead short story, "Angel Lust," in the Audible Plus catalog. I don't recommend it; if I'd read this story first, I might have passed on her wonderful novels (the others are Seating Arrangements and Astonish Me).
Old 01-06-2022, 10:04 AM   #3240
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

I mostly enjoyed Small Pleasures by Clare Chambers, narrated by Karen Cass. I listened to this because of its intriguing premise: In 1957, a spinster reporter on a small newspaper is assigned to investigate a woman's claim that her 10-year-old daughter is the result of a virgin birth (there actually was such a claim and a serious scientific investigation). How could I pass that up? The book is not sensational, but has something of a Barbara Pym vibe, with its descriptions of the aging reporter's dull, restricted life in the English suburbs, dutifully caring for her house-bound mother.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations