Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-14-2022, 02:09 AM   #31
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Lawrence View Post
I am as chagrined as I can be to have been so naive as to think you could edit a PDF file with Adobe's Acrobat Pro.

It depends on what you mean by "edit".
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 05:55 AM   #32
Pierre Lawrence
Connoisseur
Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, nook
True enough - and enough said!
Pierre Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 09:07 AM   #33
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
I am as chagrined as I can be to have been so naive as to think you could edit a PDF file with Adobe's Acrobat Pro.
Okay, you know what?

I'm actually wrong. You can, in fact, do everything that you said you wanted to do, using DC. You can edit, "reflow" text (manually), change the page numbers, and so on.

But as I tried to explain, previously--it's painfully horrible to do so. I have seen instances (and worked on them, mind you), where when push came to shove, it was faster/cheaper to scan or retype the content and recreate it (Word-->InDesign-->Replacement PDF pages) than it would have been to use Adobe (or any other so-called PDF Editor, let me be clear about this) to fix it.

Word, for that matter, claims that it will allow you to edit PDFs. And to some extent, that's true. You can open a PDF--any PDF--in Word, make edits and then export that sucker right back out to PDF--but be prepared for the fact that the end result may not look as you would hope.

I'll shaddup now.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:20 AM   #34
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Okay, you know what?

I'm actually wrong. You can, in fact, do everything that you said you wanted to do, using DC. You can edit, "reflow" text (manually), change the page numbers, and so on.
Only a little wrong. It's probably using a separate document in the PDF and rebuilding it. It certainly won't edit a random PDF from a random source much better than MS Word or LO Writer (LO prefers to pretend that a PDF is a sort of Power Point and open it in LO Draw or LO Impress! I forget which.).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:59 AM   #35
Pierre Lawrence
Connoisseur
Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, nook
Hitch,

All good, we're still friends. To continue with your baked cake analogy, by adding a cover to a PDF file with Acrobat Pro I was merely laying on a dollop of icing as it were, and with persistence was successful in that effort. I quickly learned that anything beyond that involved such a steep learning curve (not to mention an annual outlay of about $180) it was clearly not worth pursuing. To assuage the trauma induced by the endeavor I am on my way to a neighboring watering hole for a belt of Dewar's. Cheers.

Pierre Lawrence.

Last edited by Pierre Lawrence; 07-15-2022 at 12:51 PM. Reason: word correction
Pierre Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:32 PM   #36
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
I am on my way to a neighboring water hole for a belt of Dewar's. Cheers.

Pierre Lawrence.
Just keep the Dewar's purchases under $180 per annum

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:53 PM   #37
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Hitch,

All good, we're still friends. To continue with your baked cake analogy, by adding a cover to a PDF file with Acrobat Pro I was merely laying on a dollop of icing as it were, and with persistence was successful in that effort. I quickly learned that anything beyond that involved such a steep learning curve (not to mention an annual outlay of about $180) it was clearly not worth pursuing. To assuage the trauma induced by the endeavor I am on my way to a neighboring water hole for a belt of Dewar's. Cheers.

Pierre Lawrence.
Okay, I no longer indulge my vices, but I'm more of a Laphroaig girl, myself. 30-year single malt.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 08:39 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Okay, I no longer indulge my vices, but I'm more of a Laphroaig girl, myself. 30-year single malt.

Hitch
You want good whisky, take a trip to Scotland.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 12:55 PM   #39
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You want good whisky, take a trip to Scotland.
And for whiskey, Ireland.
In Scotland it's called whisky, but Scottish whisky should be called Scotch outside Scotland. You can buy good Scotch outside Scotland. Irish Bushmills (technically made in the UK) and Jameson are exported.
(to remember, Irish for Ireland is Éire, so theirs is spelled with an e)

They are both the oldest Gaelic word in English, corruption of uisce, meaning water.

I object to bourbon being called whiskey or whisky since I tried it.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote