Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #106
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
That would certainly be the case if I tried to speed read poetry - but maybe other readers can do it; I was curious to know if that's the case, and what it's like.
In college I learned how to speed read poetry when taking a survey course. We had to read most of the Faerie Queene and this was in addition to three other novels for my other English courses. You can speed read poetry well enough to pass an exam, but I still would never claim that I have read the Faerie Queene. Speed reading poetry is not real reading and it is painful.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #107
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
The notion of speed reading poetry is painful for me to contemplate. It's like reading the Cliff's Notes for Hamlet instead of reading Hamlet.

Yeah, I'm a geek.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2009, 02:03 AM   #108
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
The notion of speed reading poetry is painful for me to contemplate. It's like reading the Cliff's Notes for Hamlet instead of reading Hamlet.

Yeah, I'm a geek.
The notion of reading poetry is painful for me to contemplate

I never liked reading poetry. There are some pieces of poetry I semi-liked... if only they were in prose...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:10 AM   #109
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post

I never liked reading poetry. There are some pieces of poetry I semi-liked... if only they were in prose...
OUCH!
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:24 AM   #110
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
For some inexplicable reason I find that I read far slower on an ereader than I do when reading pbooks. The reason why this should be escapes me, although it could be because I have far too many choices on the ereader, and can therefore *grasshop* from one subject to another.

Methinks that age is also a big factor.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2009, 04:30 AM   #111
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

I find that the only way to appreciate poetry is to "read it aloud", even if only "inside my head". I just can't read it the way that I read prose.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:48 AM   #112
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I find that the only way to appreciate poetry is to "read it aloud", even if only "inside my head". I just can't read it the way that I read prose.
You may be right about that. It may be I'm too impatient to get to the end of the story to really appreciate poetry.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #113
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Robertb re-reads a lot

Dear all:

I read this book called "The Marshall" when it was released about 20 years ago. Then it got lost when I moved. It took me twelve years to find another copy and I read slow and savor every word every time. The Marshall is not a true western at all. It takes place in modern times: "He hears the victim's crys and he is there. The black powder, gun-toting image of Wyatt Earp. But Wyatt Earp is long dead, isn't he?"

I admit to having spent five years studying every facet of Tombstone and the OK Corral and what happened that famous day. I even learned how to play "Faroh" to better feel the times. This book by Denis St. Pierre likely sold 100 copies total... but I love the plot: a modern detective tracking down a "vigilante" who uncovers the impossible.

So, I re-read The Marshall every Summer and look forward to it all year. That book I read so slowly and enjoy it.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #114
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
You may be right about that. It may be I'm too impatient to get to the end of the story to really appreciate poetry.
I always plow through long poetry, especially old stuff like Chaucer and Shakespeare, as if it were plain text. They would have written in plain text, if anyone had thought about it. Invention was a slow slow thing back in days of yore.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #115
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I have a list of books that I've read this year and some months have a lot of books and some months have only one. It all has to do with the size and scope of the book and how much time I can devote to it. I finished ten books in January but only one each in March, April and May. I think June and July will end up one book months as well. The January books were a couple of "light reading" series but since then I've been reading either longer books or "classics".

I've been trying to slow down my reading -- I generally read a book through very quickly, trying to get the high points and past the any suspense or hidden surprises. Then, if I liked the book, I'll read it again more thoroughly and take the time to absorb all the other details.

Now it seems to be taking me longer to read books since the ebooks are forcing me to read carefully the first time through; I can't just flip pages (easily) to read bits at the end before I get there. (Books go faster when you know what's coming.) It's both frustrating and amazing at the same time -- I mean, to actually be surprised when something happens because I didn't know it was coming? That used to never happen to me!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote