Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-12-2018, 10:07 PM   #61
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I hate Apple for what they do, and would never freewilly fork over money to them.
I didn't like when they abandoned the Apple II line around 1990 or so, since I was an Apple II hobbyist. But I don't think I hated them for it, and certainly don't almost 30 years later.

As for their products after that, mostly they were too expensive for me to easily afford. I could have bought them used, but didn't (in part because the Mac wasn't made for hobbyists -- sometimes they were in sealed cases). I also haven't bought a used Lexus. But I don't hate Lexus or Apple. Am I missing something? Are you saying that Apple is worse than other luxury (or semi-luxury) goods brands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Yet I acknowledge that they are vastly successful as a business.
Well, yes. I guess that anyone here who owns their stock will consider that a plus. Me, I don't care one way or the other whether they are successful.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 07-12-2018 at 10:09 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:10 PM   #62
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Oh! Not me! Long lines, clerks if available at all being rude, limited selection, having to actually wear clothes to buy books! I am quite happy with an all electronic book buying and reading experience.
Me too! The less I have to deal with other people, the better for all concerned.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2018, 10:27 PM   #63
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I didn't like when they abandoned the Apple II line around 1990 or so, since I was an Apple II hobbyist. But I don't think I hated them for it, and certainly don't almost 30 years later.
Personally, I consider Apple an active enemy to personal computing. Their philosophy of reducing computer programs to buttons you click on, their moves to remove my ability to upgrade or service my machines, the recent revelation about how they slowed down older iphones to get you to buy new ones, it goes on and on.

I want the next generation to know more about how a computer works than you click on the shiny button.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:56 PM   #64
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Am I missing something? Are you saying that Apple is worse than other luxury (or semi-luxury) goods brands?
It is okay to charge extra for low or limited quantity luxury items. Most even have a reason to be more expensive -- inflated prices in luxury cars is mainly due to lower volume production. Now a commodity like a cell phone? The only luxury there is the name. What does Apple do with all the profit? Absolutely nothing, simply leave it rot in a gigantic pile of useless money.
Quote:
Well, yes. I guess that anyone here who owns their stock will consider that a plus. Me, I don't care one way or the other whether they are successful.
I don't own Apple stock. For me there is a red flag going up when gambling on a one-trick-pony. Even the iPhone is not immune to some horrible crash. Sure, that will never happen as long as we use cell phones. But who is to say we will use cell phones 10 or 20 years from now.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:59 AM   #65
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
True. But again human error. If a worker does a good job most of the time and puts an item In the wrong box they shouldn't be treated like the devil. We are not talking malpractice here. Lol. Amazon is making loads of money and misplaced product here or there won't break them. As for the customers who are obnoxious jerks about it that is probably a customer not worth having. There is not one person who works that hasn't made a human error. It happens. Now if it happens on a regular basis YES. That person should be let go. But one or two times during a mostly excellent track record... NO.
That is usually the case. Records are kept. Performance is tallied, standards are calculated and discipline is applied as necessary.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2018, 01:00 AM   #66
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
That is usually the case. Records are kept. Performance is tallied, standards are calculated and discipline is applied as necessary.
The beatings will continue until morale improves!
Old 07-13-2018, 06:32 AM   #67
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
Personally, I consider Apple an active enemy to personal computing.
I could say that laptops are an active enemy to hobbyist computing, since the small form factor makes it hard to built from parts, tricky to repair, and limited in upgrade possibilities. I could say that, but I won't. No one is forcing me to buy a laptop, Apple product or otherwise.

Most people are not hobbyists looking for a challenge. They just want devices doing the jobs they were designed for. I don't see anything wrong with a company, that treats its staff well, fulfilling that need at whatever price point some part of the public is willing to pay.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 07-13-2018 at 09:00 AM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:36 AM   #68
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Me too! The less I have to deal with other people, the better for all concerned.
I'm not anti-people, I'm just anti-sales clerk.

Because I do my homework, they rarely know as much as I do about whatever it is I am buying. I want the sales clerk to go into the stockroom and get the thing I'm buying, that's it. Do that, and ring me up!

Amazon and its competitors are just easier for me, and less stressful. (Not ALWAYS cheaper though)
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:48 AM   #69
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Personally, I consider Apple an active enemy to personal computing. Their philosophy of reducing computer programs to buttons you click on, their moves to remove my ability to upgrade or service my machines, the recent revelation about how they slowed down older iphones to get you to buy new ones, it goes on and on.

I want the next generation to know more about how a computer works than you click on the shiny button.
I don't hate 'em. I don't use them, but I don't hate them. They found a niche that needed filling, and they filled it. They were the first to understand that technology had the potential to define a self selected group of people to themselves, which forced OTHER people to also define themselves, in part, by the technology they use. Remember the Mac/Windows flame wars of the early 2000s?

We were all used to prestige branding, but the idea of using tech branding to define practically the entirety of our lives was new.

Fortunately, the worst of that is over. From what I've seen, sparks still occasionally fly between smartwatch fans, and tablet, Chromebook, and Surface users. But I get the impression that everyone but the die hard fanboys are painfully self aware and a bit embarrassed by what they are doing.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:01 AM   #70
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:

As for their products after that, mostly they were too expensive for me to easily afford. I could have bought them used, but didn't (in part because the Mac wasn't made for hobbyists -- sometimes they were in sealed cases). I also haven't bought a used Lexus. But I don't hate Lexus or Apple. Am I missing something? Are you saying that Apple is worse than other luxury (or semi-luxury) goods brands?

I pretty much went through the same cycle with Apple, except I moved to the Mac back in 2007 when I got annoyed with how Microsoft was doing the authorization thing with Windows. Since I was building my own PC's at the time, every time I would upgrade a major component, Microsoft would think that I was using my copy of Windows on a new machine and accuse me of being a pirate. That's a pretty quick way to lose a customer. (and yes, a customer service rep at Microsoft did accuse me of being a pirate when I had to call in to get my copy of Windows reauthorized after replacing the mother board.)
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:53 AM   #71
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Remember the Mac/Windows flame wars of the early 2000s?

Fortunately, the worst of that is over.
Read any comments on any tech review of a phone, tablet or PC (or don't. you will be a happier person). Within 5-10 posts a Windows/iOS/Google flame war will break out and someone will come in preaching about Linux.

Quote:
But I get the impression that everyone but the die hard fanboys are painfully self aware and a bit embarrassed by what they are doing.
I think it has really been that way from the beginning. But the fanboys are the squeaky wheels. Over time we've just learned that it is better to ignore them.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote