Notices

Old 06-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
bbhuston
Enthusiast
bbhuston began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW; kindle DX; Sony DPT-S1
How can one get Sony DPT-S1 repaired

Hello!

I bought a Sony DPT-S1 a few months ago. Overall, I love the device, but I recently broke the clip on the device that holds the stylus. Does anyone know where I can purchase another one of these? (The clip I'm talking about simply snaps onto the device.)

I also am having an issue with my device suddenly crashing on a (very frequent) basis. Does anyone know where I can send off the DPT-S1 for repairs here in the states?

Thanks
bbhuston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Another 1200 $ and you can get it paired

Have you noticed any pattern there maybe ? a huge or complex pdfs, a lot of handwritten annotations or simultaneously opened files etc.

Last edited by markom; 06-21-2014 at 09:35 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2014, 03:06 PM   #3
bbhuston
Enthusiast

Nope there is no pattern. It crashes equally often with small, nicely vectorized pdfs with zero comments as it does with monstrous pdfs with hundreds of comments.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:11 PM   #4
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Hard reset? No idea how, but it should be possible.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhuston View Post
Nope there is no pattern. It crashes equally often with small, nicely vectorized pdfs with zero comments as it does with monstrous pdfs with hundreds of comments.
As you've probably noticed another owner reported occasional freezing up during browsing.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...213019&page=50

Maybe deleting browser cache could help a bit if freeing more RAM (e.g. by deleting some background processes) is not possible.

Last edited by markom; 07-17-2014 at 07:55 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2014, 09:19 AM   #6
kaiser s
kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Sony DPT-S1
I also broke my clip about a week ago. The first two times it got detached I was able to re-attach it by following the troubleshooting guide from the User Manual. The third time, however, the attachment from within the reader got broken as well, so re-inserting the clip was no longer possible. I'm starting to believe that this is a common problem, and Sony should fix this for future batches.

Same goes for the crashes unfortunately. I've experienced this several times already. I feel like sometimes this is because I read large PDFs (400 MB or more, medical textbooks) and have multiple tabs open (more than 6). But there are also occasions where I only have 2-3 tabs open and use small files yet still experience the crashes. I really hope something can be done about this. I've just cleared the browser cache now. Will report back after a few days.
kaiser s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #7
bbhuston
Enthusiast

I ended up sending my DPT-S1 back to Japan for repairs. I will post an update once I finally get it back and can assess whether or not it is not longer broken.