Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 02-21-2014, 01:48 AM   #1
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Which Browser ?

I am on a windows 8.1 tablet with a removable keyboard. (Asus transformer T100). I am using it most of the time without the keyboard. I am docking in only when I need to transfer data to the big hardrive which is in the Keyboard, the tablet itself only has 32 gb on board with a micro SD slot to add some space but even then, you are still limited in space. But I am fine with that. The goal is to be working only on this tablet and passing my netbook (windows 7) to my son who needs a portable but powerful solution.

What I am not fine with are the browsers. I hate IE, and have been using Chrome for years now on my netbook. If I am using Chrome on the tablet WITH the keyboard, marking and copying words or a phrase on a website is no problem at all. If I am using the tablet on its own, so relying purely on the touch command, I cannot mark and copy more than one word at a time (double tap marks the word, a long tap open the menu). HOW STUPID IS THIS ?

Does anyone know of another browser that would let me, in tablet mode, select a phrase and copy it ?

Sadly, I did not buy this tablet in one of my gadget binge but because my son really needs the netbook. I love the tablet in many aspects, but there are things I don't like. They are all related to windows, not to asus.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I have no idea regarding how it would work on a tablet, but my browser-of-choice on my Win 8.1 laptop is Pale Moon.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2014, 01:43 AM   #3
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Xanthe, I'll try it immediately.

I have been trying the new Firefox all day yesterday, so far it does the trick with selecting more than one word so I might stick to it, but I'll give Pale Moon a try.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
What I am not fine with are the browsers. I hate IE, and have been using Chrome for years now on my netbook. If I am using Chrome on the tablet WITH the keyboard, marking and copying words or a phrase on a website is no problem at all. If I am using the tablet on its own, so relying purely on the touch command, I cannot mark and copy more than one word at a time (double tap marks the word, a long tap open the menu). HOW STUPID IS THIS ?
Is this recent hate, or carried over hate from IE6? IE 11 is not your daddy's IE. Have you tried it?

Anyway, in windows 8 after you Tap the word, you should get the little white circles that you can drag to expand the selection to include more than the one word. As you say, this is a windows gesture and probably works the same in any touch browser.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...w,3334-10.html
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Is this recent hate, or carried over hate from IE6? IE 11 is not your daddy's IE. Have you tried it?

Anyway, in windows 8 after you Tap the word, you should get the little white circles that you can drag to expand the selection to include more than the one word. As you say, this is a windows gesture and probably works the same in any touch browser.

It's a carried over hate, so maybe I'll give IE11 a try.

Regarding the circles: nope, that does not work on Chrome, neither does it on Firefox. But you can double tap for a phrase or a word and either eliminate or add words with Firefox, so that works for me. But no circles and then pulling through as for instance under android.
Advert
Old 02-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Kindle PW
aceflor,

Yesterday found a free app named TouchMousePointer (http://www.lovesummertrue.com/touchmousepointer/en-us/) , which is an on-screen trackpad for windows 8 with touchscreen.

You can use it as you normally use any trackpad on laptop, and use the shift-click function to select more than one word in Chrome. No need to change your browser.

it also solves the problem with multiple file selection in file explorer. I just hate it when I already select 5 files, and when I touch the sixth file, then all files deselected due to small screen size.

Here's screenshot from the developer's website:
hapmas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:58 AM   #7
aceflor
Wizard

This could be the solution indeed... K for you !
Old 02-24-2014, 09:59 AM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
It's a carried over hate, so maybe I'll give IE11 a try.

Regarding the circles: nope, that does not work on Chrome, neither does it on Firefox. But you can double tap for a phrase or a word and either eliminate or add words with Firefox, so that works for me. But no circles and then pulling through as for instance under android.
Are you using Desktop chrome or Metro chrome? I expect the touch works better in the latter.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Are you using Desktop chrome or Metro chrome? I expect the touch works better in the latter.
I kept trying using one or the other, but it makes no difference with chrome...

the touchmouse app helps though.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:11 PM   #10
colquiet
colquiet began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air
Quote:

Definitely carried over hate, and I'm also finding it works the same in every browser I've used.
colquiet is offline   Reply With Quote