Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-31-2020, 07:41 PM   #1
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Issue with Calibre Viewer

I'm using the last version of Calibre Portable and I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits. When I want to open the epub I attach, I get the following output with Calibre Viewer:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.png
Views:	168
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	179624

I don't know what may be wrong. I would appreciate any answer that allow me to solve the issue.

Thanks in advance.
Rubén
Attached Files
File Type: epub El asno de oro - Lucio Apuleyo.epub (2.07 MB, 360 views)
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:09 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The book is OK on calibre 4.17 on Windows 10 1909.

Is it only that book that's not working, or all epubs?

What version of calibre were you using before?

There are video driver related issues with the version of Qt used in calibre 4.nn, particularly on Windows 7 and some Linux systems. You could try updating your video drivers.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2020, 10:43 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's a video driver issue. Note that windows 7 is not supported with calibre 4 precisely for this issue. You can try various workrounds:

1) Update your video drivers
2) Turn off hardware acceleration https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtwebengine-debugging.html
3) Stay with calibre 3.48 till you are able to move off windows 7
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:51 AM   #4
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That's a video driver issue. Note that windows 7 is not supported with calibre 4 precisely for this issue. You can try various workrounds:

1) Update your video drivers
2) Turn off hardware acceleration https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtwebengine-debugging.html
3) Stay with calibre 3.48 till you are able to move off windows 7
Many thanks. My video drivers are updated and turn off hardware acceleration by setting the environment variable

QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS="--disable-gpu" calibre-viewer

seems not to have any effect. The curious thing is that when the Viewer is able to display an epub correctly, then all epubs can be displayed, even those ones that wasn't able to at a first moment. I don't know why some epubs are showed without issues and others didn't.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:07 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
<snip>

The curious thing is that when the Viewer is able to display an epub correctly, then all epubs can be displayed, even those ones that wasn't able to at a first moment. I don't know why some epubs are showed without issues and others didn't.
Hmmm - that suggests it may not be a video driver issue.

The posts (starting at #12) between myself and the OP (Harakane) in this thread may offer a solution ==>> [Help] Calibre 4.X eBook Viewer Broken.

BR
Advert
Old 06-01-2020, 08:46 PM   #6
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Hmmm - that suggests it may not be a video driver issue.

The posts (starting at #12) between myself and the OP (Harakane) in this thread may offer a solution ==>> [Help] Calibre 4.X eBook Viewer Broken.

BR
Thanks for your answer. Indeed, it's not a video driver issue. As I said before, I use the portable version of Calibre but after reading your post, I tried the 64bit version of Calibre (non-portable). Well, the Viewer works flawlessly; not a single display error. So, there is a difference between the viewer that comes with the portable version and the 64bit one. Maybe a bug, I don't know.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:48 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
Thanks for your answer. Indeed, it's not a video driver issue. As I said before, I use the portable version of Calibre but after reading your post, I tried the 64bit version of Calibre (non-portable). Well, the Viewer works flawlessly; not a single display error. So, there is a difference between the viewer that comes with the portable version and the 64bit one. Maybe a bug, I don't know.
The other report started with the problem in 64 bit, a reinstall did not fix it, but the viewer was OK in a fresh portable. So, the OP removed the 64 bit AND all the configuration data and calibre related registry entries and then installed a fresh 64 bit and that was OK too.

I have emphasised 'fresh' because I suspect its something in the configuration data getting corrupted in a way that that the code hasn't anticipated.

If you still have the portable install:
  • With calibre not running, rename <wherever>\Calibre Settings\viewer-webengine.json to something like <wherever>\Calibre Settings\viewer-webengine.save.
  • Then start calibre portable and try read that Lucio Apuleyo EPUB.
  • And let us know what happens.
BR
Old 06-02-2020, 09:01 AM   #8
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
If you still have the portable install:
  • With calibre not running, rename <wherever>\Calibre Settings\viewer-webengine.json to something like <wherever>\Calibre Settings\viewer-webengine.save.
  • Then start calibre portable and try read that Lucio Apuleyo EPUB.
BR
Many thanks for your help BR. I did what you said and the issue remains I think is something related with the 32bit compilation that is not working properly in a 64bit system. What a pity that Kobid doesn't release a 64bit portable version; if it were so, we would be able to conclude if the issue is due to that or not.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:06 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

One more thing you could try on the portable install:
  • You will lose your customisations, plugins etc, so you might want to take a backup first
  • With calibre not running, delete the folder <wherever>\Calibre Settings
  • Then start calibre portable, it will create a fresh Calibre Settings. Then try viewing that Lucio Apuleyo EPUB.

If that doesn't work I'm baffled, bewildered, and out of ideas.

BR
Old 06-02-2020, 07:38 PM   #10
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
One more thing you could try on the portable install:
  • You will lose your customisations, plugins etc, so you might want to take a backup first
  • With calibre not running, delete the folder <wherever>\Calibre Settings
  • Then start calibre portable, it will create a fresh Calibre Settings. Then try viewing that Lucio Apuleyo EPUB.

If that doesn't work I'm baffled, bewildered, and out of ideas.

BR
Well, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that now I can use the Calibre Viewer without issues with all epubs INSIDE Calibre. The bad news is that the issue remains when I use Calibre Viewer to open epubs OUTSIDE Calibre.

To test the rendering RMSDK engine I use ADE; but to test WebKit I use PocketBook in Android and Calibre Viewer to test epubs on PCs. I had discovered that Calibre Viewer could be used without starting Calibre Manager and without loading the ebook in the Calibre Library but for this last task I still can't use reliably the viewer (at least, with the portable version) because some epubs can not be displayed without using Calibre Manager.

But one thing at least is solved Thanks for your help BR.

Rubén